Tuesday 26 April 2011

Tool talk


No really, it's about a tool...no smuttiness. A lot of us English roses are surprised that our American cousins use 'tool' as a derogatory nick name for a fool. We do have them you understand, and I know all of them...(for I am a driver...) but 'tool' over this side of the pond, is just that. A tool. A useful item to help ya get something done. Which is possibly why we don't use it as slang for stupid(blokes in particular). Lordy, a digression in the first sentence. Gotta be a record. Anyway. I wanted to follow on from the domestic trivia of Easter Sunday's post by telling you that after I had gathered in the load of washing and walked around it for most of yesterday, I was forced to pull it out of the basket and iron necessary pieces this morning. And then I realised that one of my most useful craft tools ever is the pair of jeans that I sort of reserve for days at home when I know I'm going to be crafting. I wipe just cleaned stamps, my dirty fingers and paintbrushes on them. I de-static paper and clean fingerprints of most things on them, I test dryness by dabbing painted or inked items onto them, they are useful! They are marked and very very faded, but clearly are the most comfortable to sit in. I've even torn the hem off one leg because I 'needed' a piece of denim for something important (at the time - I can't even remember where it appears now). There is a bigger give away as to their usefulness as a crafty tool though. The crispy line of glue along the top of the thigh, just under the (still pert) buttock on either side (or more basically - at my arm's length) - where I constantly wipe my hands clean - particularly and especially of glue and sticky stuff. Ick. It's not as if it's a build up - these jeans are washed pretty regularly. It's possible that washing isn't the correct sort of maintenance for such an important tool. They probably deserve an occasional hot cycle and a proper pressing and even time in a cupboard. Ain't happening though - the best tool is one you use all the time right - and I can't use an apron. My height and roundiness is accentuated in an apron - makes me look like a right erm, tool.

19 comments:

Heather said...

You put a smile on my face every time I read one of your posts ..... thankyou!!!!

Clare with paint in her hair said...

Sounds like every pair of jeans I own, even the 'best' ones have some sort of craft related product ingrained on the top thigh area LOL

Pam said...

:-) Just what I needed after 1st day back at work with only the company of a ****, sorry my male colleague as all the girlies are on holiday this week!!

Pam

voodoo vixen said...

LOL Julia... I have a pair of sweat pants just like your jeans!! Even has the sticky glue line... do you think we bought them in the same shop? and they don't spend much time hanging in the wardrobe either... about the only thing that is turned around in a morning!! ;)

Claire said...

LOL Julia, my family keep buying me aprons but jeans work much better IMO.
C
xx

Ciara said...

You're a funny lady! I think most of my jeans will have traces of craftiness in them somewhere, although I have never thought of keeping a pair purely for that purpose.

I have been known to call people 'tools' before too :-)

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

As usual, Your post is a real tonic. I know exactly what you mean about that line of glue, and even hot washes do not seem to move it. I did try Spray Away with limited success. That is why I do not do gluing in the caravan. Looking forward to reading your post tomorrow.

Helen said...

I love coming home from a yucky day at the office to a post of yours cos I know it will always perk me up. Love the thought of you and your favourite crafting jeans covered in ages old glue that won't wash off.

Gez Butterworth said...

Haha! thought it was just me!! DH loads & unloads the washing machine & remarked the other day that ALL my clothes have paint on them!! I said I didn't know what he was talking about! ;)

Di said...

What a laugh Julia! You do know - as my lovely Mum would have said - you're a mucky little pup :) Di x

Spyder said...

Yep I have a crispy line of glue just below my hip and above my thigh...it does look a bit bogey-ish and does get odd looks when I team these ripped jeans (not bought that way, they've wore out that way) up with my fav Gap polo shirt with holes and rips in the elbow and cuffs, with added paint and glue.. honestly I've seen bag ladies wearing better clothes... but they are comfy...of course, screams of..'No! Don't take a picture of me wearing my old rags for woyww!' doesn't stop hubby taking a picture, which of course has already been deleted!
((Lyn))

Serendipity Stamping said...

Aren't jeans and such made for wiping? Ooops. You know in all my life here in the US of A(and I am no confessing to how many years that amounts to), I have never heard the word tool used as a derogatory reference. To me a tool is a tool is a tool. LOL

Carmen said...

Yep same as most people here - every item of clothing bear crafty scars of some kind but it's the jeans that take the brunt with me too :P

misteejay said...

Oh I did enjoy that chuckle...

Toni xx

Dragon said...

I LOVE reading your blog... you make me smile and I know I would love to meet you!!! no t---ing around now, be swerious!!!! tee hee...
Frankie
xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As an American, I am one of those few who thinks a TOOL is actually a TOOL. And although I don't wear jeans most of the time, I have some sweats that I wear in the winter that have all kinds of glue all over them. Since I never sit to make art (unless I'm sewing paper), the glue is anywhere I can reach, whether it's on the top or the bottom sweat piece. And sometimes I just wear nightgowns all day that get LOTS of glue on. So, I can totally relate.

sandy said...

I'm from the ol' US of A, but I have no idea what you mean by the use of the word "tool." When I say tool, I mean my scissors, pliers, needles, etc. (The things my son regularly makes off with and doesn't return. Does that make him a tool?)

When crafting I have to remind myself that if I'm using "Ok To Wash It" glue it is NOT going to wash out of my pants if I wipe it on them! Made that mistake once already, ruined a decent pair of jeans, too.

Stacie said...

This is hilarious and so dang true! I too, have various stages of gunk on my pants or shorts at any given time...my husband was remarking on my tendency to use my clothing as a towel. As for tools, well...I am a late bloomer to the use of them, but now my passion for tools is ignited by what they can help me make. Great post!

Paige said...

I've often dreamt of being all slim and pert under a scrappers apron! but that ain't happening and I know I would lose tools in the pockets, forget to put it on, look at a total idiot and probably have one t-shirted boob poking out one side of the "made for tiny women" apron bib! I tend to scrap in a range of clothing from PJ's to frocks.