Friday 22 April 2011

Happy Returns, Elizabeth!

If you haven't met Elizabeth yet, then I suggest you do. here she is: alteredbooklover.blogspot.com
Today, Earth Day, is also her birthday and I hope that this sort of e-card is a happy greeting.

I know - look at the card - slightly distressed, signs of alcohol and distress inks, layering of ink AND paint. Paint for goodness sake. 'Twould seem that whenever I pick up an artsy stamp like any of these, I get Jennie and Hels sitting on mah shoulders encouraging me to get my hands inky painty and distressed. It's really quite strange, because before I tuned into the old WOYWW blog hop, I was trundling along quite nicely with 'my' style...and then I find how much more is out there; so now and then I have to try something else. You can see that I still end up exercising some control though..had to use a tag and confine the perimeters of 'just go for it' a bit. Also I had to be able to vaguely remember what I was doing so that I could encourage others to have a go at the workshop last week.
I still think the base card is a bit weedy and pale..to the point where for the first time, I may have to pull this card apart and play some more. I blame all you alterers...it would seem you have instilled in me a slight teeny tiny bit of that 'enjoy the creating as much as the created' thing in me. And Elizabeth is one of those types. So in that whole Carrie Bradshaw, Sex & The City style I conclude with a question: good grief...am I an evolving crafter?

15 comments:

Cardarian said...

You certainly are! Lovely card!
Hugs.
Cardarian

misteejay said...

Lovely card Julia - I think the colours are really pretty.

Toni :o)

Kirsty.A said...

Pretty card. I don't even own any diress or alcohol inks yet, but I think I might be comig round to the idea - I even ripped paper last week!!

voodoo vixen said...

I love it, it is very Elizabeth!! I think it is one of the things I love about WOYWW too... you can't help but try new things with so much inspiration sitting on all those desks.

airing cupboard crafts said...

As you know I love this card I have them sitting in a pile waiting to photographed ready for blogging.

I was fully inspired by this class and have been getting a little messy at home!!

Thank you for last night. See you Wednesday x

Helen said...

I've never seen Sex and the City... but I love this card and so will Elizabeth!
Happy Easter.

Ohhh Snap said...

Gorgeous card! You'll be joining the process camp before you know it lol. I think it's very Elizabeth too :D. TFS!

Spyder said...

Love the card... I want, no, I need those hinges!
(Lyn)

Anonymous said...

that was really Really nice of you!
I hope that everyone goes and wishes Elizabeth a happy birthday because she is super giving of her time and information and I just really totally dig that elizabeth.
on another note, julia, i do love the elephant and he has evolved into my comfort guy :)
Xx,
Amy

HeARTworks said...

I really like this card Julia! I'm glad you're not limiting yourself to just "your" style, but are experimenting more! It's fun isn't it? Patsy from
HeARTworks

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Artsy, different, I LIKE it!! now as your teacher, I should warn, I may say these things, but do I practise them? mmmm.. often!!lol
Julia, we must get together and you can teach me, and me you:) now that would be GREAT fun!
Happy Easter!
xx

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Hi Julia, Hope you're enjoying the Easter break -I presume Mr D let's you have some time off LOL ooh I love this card ;-)
Anne xx

Kathy said...

This is lovely Julia
Hope you are enjoying a lovely Easter time

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, i LOVE this card, Julia! happy Easter!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sadly, I was gone from my computer for two days, so I completely missed this card until now. Thank you for making it in the spirit of altered art. How wonderful of you. It is perfect, and you really Do manage to step outside your comfort zone on occasion. And yes, you really ARE an evolved crafter, especially with those hinges and corrugated cardboard. Love it!