Monday 11 April 2011



On Sunday, Kath said that she'd found the need and therefore found some 'me' time and was turning towards the altered artist within her. She was gonna play with canvasses. Now I have to tell you that of course the sneak peek of a photo that she allowed us was really a teaser. And it reminded me that I too made some time (snigger...it's always all about me, so I'm not sure what to call it, really) at the end of last month to make a canvas. Unlike Kath, I had another motivation - despite having a year's notice, I was late getting to making my lovely sister a birthday gift and card. Well not late exactly, but let's just say I was running out of time. I posted it the day before her birthday - but she lives in California, so the timing was screwed really, huh. Anyway...I know she's now safely in receipt and so I thought I could show it here.......bear in mind it's a canvas panel rather than a box or blahdy blah (easier to post!) and please also remember that by the time I finished with it, it was still a canvas panel. I had added and coloured, but am not smart enough to have altered it into anything else. Like a large tent. No sir. Bear in mind my sissy is a designer of fabric and paper and so I felt the need to go all sewing and retro on her (and by the way - if you're coming to the 'Vintage' workshop at Kraft Crazy, there's to be a card using this dressmaker pattern stamp.......not much of a 'come hither' I know, but I can't show you. Because I haven't made it yet.) And all the little photos showing the carefully applied if not actually carefully thought about prior to careful application are for the benefit of my friend Laura. I know how she loves a detail. So now you see it, my canvas what is still a canvas only decorated. Sissy said she liked it, but really, what choice did she have! Note the gorgeous beaded pins that Helene made for me and that clear dangly thing and the flowers - they came from Kath......seam binding from The Ribbon Girl, printed tape from Tiger and the stamp is of course Stampers Anonymous. Pencilled outline around the stamped image - all my own work. Genius.
And check out my uber talented and now much older sister: www.lusciouslifestudios.com

24 comments:

Kaz said...

Well I like it, so if she doesn't (and I can't see her not) I'll have it instead!!
It's really beautiful Julia xxx

Susie Sugar said...

Wow Julia this is stunning I love this style and all the muted colours and all the little detail....oh I love it all
Hugs Susie xx

Artyjen said...

Gorgeous....love all the little details :)
thanks for your kind sweet happy thoughts
xoxo Sioux

Twiglet said...

I bet your sis loves it - I certainly do!

Helen said...

I think its gorgeous too, even if I am not a sewer (one who sews, that is, as opposed to a waste pipe for.....!)
Got to go now, Liverpool are about to kick off, and a girl has to get her priorities right, of course!

misteejay said...

Beautiful canvas Julia and those colours are fab.

Toni :o)

Mrs A. said...

Love your canvas. Love the colours. Lucky sis.

Becky said...

She didn't have any choice but to love it...it's FAB!! Great job!

voodoo vixen said...

Well it turned out absolutely gorgeous and I am sure she will love it as it is personal to her too! Love the dress design on it and all the fabby details.

Heavens2Betsy said...

Beautiful canvas and your writing makes me guffaw! Penny

My name is Cindy said...

I'm sure she'll love it (Oh I see she did!!) and all the little details are just yummy. Loving those beaded pins too.

Simple homemade living said...

The canvas is stunning I am so glad sissy loved it. Thanks for all of the pictures of the details I really needed to see it all again alittle bit closer *cough cough* x

Sarn said...

WOW WOW WOW . . . . that is an AMAZINGLY wonderful piece of art hon! Bet your Sis loved it. Now, I paid her a little visit courtesy of your link . . . and I LOVE some of her quirky quotes!

Hugs, Sandra

Glenda said...

Pretty! Pretty!

Anonymous said...

WOW what a canvas!!! stunning piece of work i love it! the detail is fantastic!

Hugs June

donnalouiserodgers said...

sooo disappointing that there are no flip top sides that convert it into the five man tent with kitchen extension, pfaw... it's a long journey to altered srtistdom...

OF COURSE it is always about ME

always

oh this was about you???

Dxxxxx

donnalouiserodgers said...

that should read artistdom - if I am going to make up words I should at least give you half a chance and spell them properly.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My internet was down yesterday, so I didn't have a chance to stop by and say hello. I think the canvas you altered is perfect. The idea that it might turn into a tent made me laugh, although it probably doesn't fit with the occasion.

I really enjoyed all the extras you added to the canvas. I can tell it was one of those over the top pieces you make once in a blue moon. And I really enjoyed your sister's site. I could have used some of those Mexican Folk Art pieces/patterns that were featured on the site.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Police?

Come arrest Julia for making the coolest thing I have ever seen on her blog.

Crap. I love that thing.

Jane said...

HeeHee Julia, thanks for your comment...I have a poor neglected husband!lol!

Love this canvas...I have one sitting that I have painted pink but thats about it...was going to do something for the wee ones room...maybe I could get it done in time for her birthday next month!

alexa said...

It's really pretty, Julia, and I hope she loved it too. And I love that stamp ...

jude said...

Looking at it i love it .Im sure your sister absolutely adored it especially made by her sis!
hugs judex

HeARTworks said...

Wow! I am super impressed! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Hels Sheridan said...

loving this Julia.. tis gorgeous