Thursday 12 November 2015

Back to Autumn then...

Remember I bragged about a box of goodies from the Baker Ross 'Naturals' craft selection? well, it included more than shells and hessian.  


This pack of Owl shapes for example. Each with a string if you want to hang 'em up or make Owl bunting. That would be cool wouldn't it, especially of you have an Autumn birthday. As individual pieces, I thought they'd make a great base for all sorts of mediums, you could let go with the paint and the sparkles quite easily! They would also make great hand out invitations or promotions wouldn't they, such a memorable shape. And despite the reality, owls are meant to be wise and remembering.


I was so taken with the wonderful assortment of dyed skeleton leaves that I had to make one of them a leafy one. It was easy, of course. I used PVA to glue the tops of the leaves and when dry, cut around the shape to restore definition. The eyes are two punch outs of black card and the gems are simply cut from the sheet of gems...no pressure, but I applied them without a pattern or guide. I was clearly having a good day..straight lines and even eyes!

This was fun and relatively mess free, the next one involves glue and torn up paper, so it may not appear for a while..you know how I am with tidy. It's set aside for drying and that means it might be little bit lost in a day or two!

15 comments:

Barb said...

You're right Julia, there's so much you could do with those lovely owls. Now how many would have thought of skeleton leaves. Your owl looks absolutely amazing. What a clever idea. Barbxx

RosA said...

The unadorned owls in the first pic didn't fill me with inspiration, but WOW, what you did with the skeleton leaves is genius!
I've got some ideas about that Smash book. Will let you know when something happens :)
Oh, and you would be most welcome to crash one of our occasional lunches of course :)

buterfliecrafter said...

those leaves look great, the owl also of course, wonder whether you could color neutral ones yourself, hum thinking cap on.

misteejay said...

How adorable Julia - I love your decorated owl.
Toni xx

Sue said...

I love the owls.

Hope you've had a good day. Sue

CoventryAnn said...

I love the colours of the leaves on the owls, and their blingy little beaks! Gorgeous.

Kyla said...

Those leaves are a lovely colour
Kyla

Helen said...

LOVE the owl covered in skeleton leaves, I've always loved them and use to use them loads. Looking forward to the next one. (no pressure!)

Sharon said...

Those owls look great! So colourful

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Golly, as much as I like the end result, I was simply in LOVE with those skeleton leaves. I've tried to make them before, but they don't turn out right. Yours are simply gorgeous. I like the eyes, too. Very clever use of glue and skeleton leaves.

Neet said...

Oh WOW I love what you have done with these. What a fantastic owl you have made, love his feathers - inspired choice of materials.
Hugs, Neet xx

Elizabeth said...

Love your owl, Julia. What a great way of using skeleton leaves - who would have thought they's make such convincing 'feathers' :) Elizabeth xx

Twiglet said...

Oh so pretty -I love owls. x Jo

Inside the artists shed said...

Great Owl - so much so it has given me inspiration on something else. Oh no so many ideas and so little time. Looking forward to the torn paper versions. Jackie x

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

This is a great idea! I like your leafy owl! Very unique!