Monday 23 February 2015

When you get new stuff....

When you buy something new to fulfill your crafting needs, what do you do with it when you get home?
I only put away the replacement and the utility stuff - a new ink pad or tape or glue for example. And when I say put away, I might mean that it goes on my desk until I next sit at it for a 'proper session...'
So what do you do with new stuff that you don't consider to be 'utility'? 
*Ahem* I leave them on my desk. Sometimes because I need a chance to gloat over them a little. 
Often because I intend to use them straight away.Most often because I'm scared that if I put them away, I'll forget about them and think I haven't got any new toys.

  
Less often because it's something I've got to learn to use and I think if it's staring at me, I'll get on and do the learning part more quickly.

Need to learn how to deftly use the Layer tool behind the ATG tape..
purchased in erm...November....
If you order something specific and wait patiently for it, how do you treat that?
My Big Shot was a replacement for a broken die cutter and so was unpacked and assembled and in the proper place within half an hour of it being delivered. I can't remember using it immediately, but it was a replacement for something I knew and couldnt live without didn't want to be without, so I'd say that was quite exceptional.
This stamp though,was on my desk for a couple of weeks after the order arrived.Then it was Christmas so I put it away. After Christmas I pulled it out to remind me to play with it. And so far....nothing; but my 'system' means that it has to stay out! 

What are you like about lending your stuff?
I think I'm OK. If its practical to do so, I'm happy to lend anything I think. Of course, it is often easier not to lend your stuff out, but on the whole there's no case for not being a lender. Having said that...I'm a bit childish about lending stuff that I haven't yet used....especially stamps. My dear friend the Lady Nurse will lend you something straight out of her shopping bag; before she's had a chance to get it home and gloat over it. That's not beyond me, but it's slightly more difficult!

Do you ever buy something that you have to use straight away?
Frequently.  Mostly stamps. When my last delivery came from Quietfire, I contrived a day off to play. Mr Dunnit's not a fool, he knows. All my reasoning about not being able to colour or colour match in the dark after work...he accepts them with good grace. I think because he doesn't want to hear any other, new excuses!

Do you consider this a bit of a confession?
Yes I do, and I think anyone reading this should 'fess up and unburden themselves.....



18 comments:

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, totally with you on leaving stuff in view. Can't count how many times I've found something I'd forgotten I had because I'd put it away unused. I also have that layer too, standing on my desk, it was on my Christmas Wish List- it may have been used once already! I also chuck the 'consumables' straight in to their normal home. They just aren't exciting enough, are they? Sharing? with people I know will care for my stuff, absolutely. I'm terrible about getting round to using stuff- even stuff I was desperate for! But eventually I get there. Had a lovely day Saturday, Shoshi was a joy! Hugs, Shaz xx

My name is Cindy said...

Yep, I have to leave it out. Consumables just go away, but I like to have 'stock' - heaven help me if I should ever run out of glue!! Stamps and dies probably get used the quickest but no guarantees. And I'm not that good at relinquishing my stash, but getting better as I gave myself a good talking to when I caught myself being grudging about a sheet of paper I had had for years.... learning to let go LOL. Hugs Cindy xx

Aileen said...

I spend too much time looking and thinking I need must have want, now I am learning to look, crave and walk away. Why???? Cause I have sooooo many stamps, dies , gems, buttons, ribbons etc that I will be an old old lady before I use it all. The problem is we see something we like, we see examples of how great it will look, we see new ideas to try so we order, meantime more ideas happen, more beauty is shown to us and we are so flooded with ideas that sometimes we end up just looking then we fall behind then the cycle starts again.
Then of course there are the rriends that enable us, what can we do???? I love this habit oooops hobby.

Sue said...

I usually put everything away, unless I know I need a certain item straight away.

I think I have to confess to being a 'neat freak':) LOL

KarmaCraft said...

My confession is far worse. I had been in a stop-gap rental home for 18 month and my crafting supplies were organised in the dining room. I rarely took it out to craft because the dining table wouldn't be ready for dinner... my crafting took a major break but my shopping continues as normal! The gap is now over and we have been in our new house for just over a year. I have my own craft room and that dining table is now up in that room just for me to craft on... and I have only just recently finished opening my backlog of shopping bags from our time at the rental... *blush* And I have since attended a shop - owner friend's clearance sale... The Bag Of Shame has not yet been opened. Lots of goodies in there!

KarmaCraft said...

My confession is far worse. I had been in a stop-gap rental home for 18 month and my crafting supplies were organised in the dining room. I rarely took it out to craft because the dining table wouldn't be ready for dinner... my crafting took a major break but my shopping continues as normal! The gap is now over and we have been in our new house for just over a year. I have my own craft room and that dining table is now up in that room just for me to craft on... and I have only just recently finished opening my backlog of shopping bags from our time at the rental... *blush* And I have since attended a shop - owner friend's clearance sale... The Bag Of Shame has not yet been opened. Lots of goodies in there!

Leslie Hanna said...

I'm still chuckling over KarmaCraft's Bag of Shame!

Like you, I put away the consumables, but I have a special place for the new stuff. It sits in designated open storage containers (the better to see the goodies) until I use them. Once used, I am allowed to put them away.

It's embarrassing how much is still in those boxes. BUT, when I have a crafty play date, I grab a bunch of the new stuff and take it with me. Then I actually use it, so when I get home I can put it way.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Love this discussion. Will give my answer and then see what the others say. First off-lending, most often yes but if you fail to return something I will never lend to you again. I keep the new stuff out with the intention of using it right away but it is so rare that I actually do it. It almost always gets put away unused and then most often I forget I have it and then "discover" it weeks later. It is rare I do things right away even that was my original plan. *sigh*

Krisha said...

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the steps you take with your new stash......they seem to be the same ones I take, confusing? Only to those that take a different path......grin

Helen said...

I'm with the 'leave it out ' brigade for sure... or at least within sight. Some stuff that I buy gets used straight away if I'm really really inspired and other thinge - well, I knew what I wanted them for when I got them, I'm sure I'll remember one day....
Lending? hmmm. I do, sometimes. But only once used. Good discussion, this - I think we're mostly all the same though!!

misteejay said...

I will leave the back with the purchase near my workdesk for a while but if I don't get around to using the stuff it will often be put away.
Sharing is a bone of contention - there are some things I will and others; NO WAY (my Copics fall into the 'no way' as I had several nibs damaged by folk not taking care when putting the lids on).
Interesting discussion Julia.
Toni xx

Hettie said...

If it is just tape or replacement ink I just put it away...but if it is new dies or stamps then like you I leave it out. However, I used some dies on the weekend which I bought in October and only just used as I put them away because of Christmas and I didn't want them to get lost.
Ho hum!
xx

Robyn said...

I confess , I confess. similar to you, I leave what's new in view. that's all I'm going to say!

Monica said...

Not only do I forget what I buy I cannot fins it. often when about to purchase an item again an alarm very deep in my brain makes a feeble bong. i have even bought on line and not used or rarely used. Then found them when a class starts talking about them!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I do the exact same thing as you, Julia! I think we all do. I still have my last few purchases (pen nibs and paints) sitting on my desk, along with a couple of stamps. If it's pens, pencils, crayons or paints I always try them first and perhaps make a colour chart too. I'm not very good with lending stuff though. I don't like to borrow anything in fear of ruining it, so I always just buy my own and I expect other people to do the same. Besides, I seldom get back what I lend and I'm too shy to ask for it back. But that's just me, I'm sure. I would gladly share my stuff at a crop, though, that's different, but I don't like people taking stuff away, because chances are I will never see it again!

April said...

I put new stuff on my desk so I will remember that it was something I HAD TO HAVE and I should use it.

Lending? Hmmmm....... I'm very childish. And if I haven't use it yet. Hmmmmm......

I consider this post a bit of a confessional, but it was fun and not painful.

April

Lynn Holland said...

Books ......... I'm a nightmare for buying books

Then a friend said "oh no she doesn't make the things in the books she just uses them for ideas"

All of a sudden I felt much better and can now justify have so many of them. I grudgingly lend them out as I've had several not come back. Same friend made me a book for recording who I'd lent them to. Only thing is I forget to fill it in :(

Cazzy said...

I fess up - ditto to everything apart from I don't get asked to loan things to anyone, even my Mum doesn't ask and she could, but has never really progressed beyond stickers and kits.

I leave things I haven't used out for months (years?), eventually having a blast through filing, like you if I get it out again I am afraid I will forget to use if it I put it away again.

New stuff, yep, same, fear of using it? I don't know really.

Cazzy