Friday 13 February 2015

Should have known better...

Last weekend was Crop for me.  It's always the first weekend of the month, but rushes around so fast that it feels like the last weekend of the previous month. It makes sense to me. 
So I managed three fairly simple layouts last weekend.  From my pile of already matched photos and papers.  Which I've learned to keep so that I don't have to wake up at AhMyGard o,clock to make selections on the day.  See, I grab that box, then all the other boxes - the one containing sticky alphas, the one containing metal embellishments, the one containing journaling pieces and tags etc, the one containing gems and distracting lovelies, the one containing chipboard. Add in the essential tool bag and a box of patterned scraps that deserve to be used and I'm ready.  

They turned out to be pretty straight forward layouts for a whole day, huh. And therein lies the problem, I think. I made the paper/photo selections ages ago. I did not team them with other embellishments or a sketch (I may as well have scrapped at home if I went that far). When I finally stopped talking, browsing catalogues and other people's magazines, I went through the box of 'Layouts To Do' and found myself pretty uninspired by my choices. Ack. 
There were a couple that I obviously had a plan for that I've forgotten.  And I do like to reference a sketch for single photo layouts because I'm very very prone to doing the same thing again and again. No sketches. So the results are a little underwhelming. This last one of my Sweet Baby Girl is as yet unfinished. I'm walking around it for now. It'll come to me. And then I'll file it away where not many people will see it anyway! How odd.  

So this weekend, I'm going to another Crop. One I haven't been to before. I'm definitely taking some sketches with me, but do not have time to sort out more papers and photos, so will be repeating the packing process detailed above. It will be a good test.  As I won't know more than 2 of the other Croppers, does that mean I'll get more done?  We'll see. The thing is, given this particular packing method, I wonder - is it worth unpacking between crops? If you can think of any better reasons than me for not doing so, please let me know!

13 comments:

fairy thoughts said...

Ah the big question ... What to take to a crop that is probably one of the reasons I cannot do it .... As you may know I only made it once. The LO of Jenny looks pretty finished to me. As for doing more if you don't know many people I think you'll probably do less ...... New people to get to know etc ..... But good luck and have fun...... You know you will 😉
Janet

Sue said...

Fab LOs. Enjoy the crop. Sue

Kyla said...

I know I cannot claim to travel light to a crop! Love the fact you leave the space around the images, something I am always jealous of when I see people doing this as it is something I really struggle with.
Kyla

Hettie said...

Nice layouts there Julia. I know your pain. However, I have learnt to at least scribble a rough layout plan and put in the bag with the pics and papers so I have a clue what I was thinking of doing.
As for unpacking....nah! That is for woozers! Saves you repacking it next time if you have not used it in between.
Hugs
xx

fairyrocks said...

You sound very organized, and if its not broke, you don't have to fix it. Just take out the done ones and bits you don't need and carry on. Keep smiling and creating.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Hmmm....I went for the first time last year and got very little done. Certainly nothing finished and I didn't know anyone! I am more organised this time, with a specific project in mind. Let's see how we both do tomorrow.

Monica said...

No it does not. Just more new friends.

Robyn said...

I never unpack if I can help it.
then again, I like surprises!

Carmen said...

You sound very organised to me - I wouldn't have a clue what to take :-)

misteejay said...

I do tend to take far too much with me to a crop but you can be sure on the few times I have been more considered in my packing, something essential has been forgotten.
If your boxes are working for you, don't unpack - just flick through from time to time to see if you need to add to the contents. Enjoy the crop.
Toni xx

misteejay said...

I do tend to take far too much with me to a crop but you can be sure on the few times I have been more considered in my packing, something essential has been forgotten.
If your boxes are working for you, don't unpack - just flick through from time to time to see if you need to add to the contents. Enjoy the crop.
Toni xx

Eliza said...

I don't do crops, 1 because I can't find the time the other is, it is to distracting and really I would just want to socialize anyway and if you really know me this is something that I don't do. I am always out and about in the public eye, trying to be invisible and dealing with crowds. So my home is my sanctuary. I choose my friends carefully too, I know this is going on, but seriously you need to assess why you want to go to crops, do you produce more than you do at home? or is is the social push to achieve more that you would normally? The biggest problem is the gear you have to take to these things and achieve your goal without it looking like the same type of layout over and over. Then I would also be worried if you want it for anonymity well that can only last so long, people will get to know you, then you are back to where you started, socializing and chatting and not getting much done. Why don't you try the timer method and challenge yourself with a timer and push yourself to get the layout done in that time frame and achieve more, this can be done at home or at a crop. Now after me saying all of this, if you still want to go to crops, congrats to you, keep the bag packed and try and squeeze a little more in and the timer too. I hope I have not lost you during this long waffle of mine. Oh and this is not crop related but your English boys are falling fast in the cricket, only early days but hey what a start....

Hugs Eliza

Deezy said...

I hope you enjoyed the crop! For me counts: the more I stuff I take with me, the less I do. And when I do not have so many supplies to choose from: the more creative I become :-) Wish you a nice weekend!