Sunday 15 February 2015

A whole other Crop

I went to another Crop yesterday. It was very different to the monthly Ludgershall Crop. It had more to offer in terms of resources, for sure. There was a box full of layout sketches and ideas. There was a tool table, including a dictionary. There were useful bits for sale - including plain 12x12 card stock. There was a raffle. There was a proper bar and hot food service. It was good. I did four layouts which included the conclusion of my Hereford Cathedral pics, so I am pleased.  This is only one more than I did last week at my 'own' crop.  So it's not the Crop atmosphere.  It's the the time it takes me to do them, and that's all there is to it!  
I don't scrapbook at home. Well, not strictly true; but I can't remember the last time I did. But with photos and papers supposedly pre-matched in a attempt to be ready, it really wouldn't be so difficult to do some at home.  But I think actually, I go to Crop for so much more than the scrapping experience. The Ludgershall Crop is small in number. But those numbers are some of the best friends I've ever made. If I didn't Crop with them once a month, we'd carve out other time to get together. And so sitting in a hall being relatively craft productive is a bonus to the conversation. And there's a lot of that!  My visit yesterday to a 'foreign' crop was totally different, but no less enjoyable - having this craft in common, let alone all the other things we women share is an instant ice breaker. I didn't force myself on anyone, (I don't think!) but I had some fascinating conversations whilst cutting and sticking. And that's it for me. I'm reconciled to the fact that Miss Dunnit might well have to bin the load of albums I'll have filled by the time I tragically shuffle off this mortal coil. I've stopped doing scrapbooking for worthy reasons like the benefit for future generations. I do it for me. Because I like to do it, it saves the photos we take from sitting unloved in a drawer or on the computer, and I like the sociability of a crop. Which is fascinating isn't it. Because I prefer to make cards at home, surrounded by my stamps and stuff and company isn't necessary at all. Odd. 

Yeah. Odd. But there's not a lot about this whole crafting obsession I'm embroiled in that doesn't seem odd when you step back and look in from the out. Luckily, I don't have to explain it. You get it. Mr Dunnit can live with it (he doesn't get it), and that's all the encouragement I need!

11 comments:

Helen said...

What an interesting read... I used to struggle making stuff (any stuff) at the craft club my sister in law ran, but seem to get on well at the WOYWW crops.. perhaps it's the shared camaraderie of WOYWW. I don't know... or the amount of stuff I can bring with me in my suitcase!
Your Cloisters layout is fab, BTW!

Nonnie said...

I like doing both- at home alone and with others. I do admit I get more done at home though, but I pay for it in pain because I sit there for hours on end.

Kristi said...

What lovely pages! When I used to go to crops, I always felt the need to take everything I owned so I quit going. Now I generally make cards only but I still don't go out to do it.

Now, your crops sound like my book club. We get together once a month to talk about a book (for about 20 minutes) and the rest of the time (3+ hours!) is spent just visiting. It's great to have those type of friends.

misteejay said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself Julia. The LOs look super.
Toni xx

Monica said...

Great post and fine layout. I have no idea to whom will fall the task of ditching all my journals and other "Stuff". it is a bonus from the ashes as far as I am concerned I love looking through my journals especially recalling some thing made with others. You really have it right dear lady. Men do not get. Another mystery of the fair sex.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was trying to catch up and read both posts before commenting. Since I've never been to a crop in my life, I have no idea what it would entail. I know when I visit my friend who lives about 50 miles away, I spend days getting ready and packing. I usually forger something, even though I've brought far more than I will ever accomplish. Then I spend WEEKS (or so it seems) putting it all back in place. I like to visit and make a few things, but I don't like the packing and unpacking.

Since you don't make scrapbook layouts at home, why not just keep a "go bag" of paper, photos, and any embellies you know you will use for specific layouts. Then add the other things like stickers, doilies, etc. before the crop.

I suspect if I went to one of these crops, I might get more accomplished, or learn something, but I fear I'm a bit like Mr. Dunnit and don't get it!

voodoo vixen said...

I am always in awe of people who get LO's done at a crop! I talk, I eat, I laugh, I chat and have a wonderful time and will help everyone else to do things if they want my interference but seldom get anything done myself... I work better alone at home but it doesn't stop me going to crops!! LOL

Sue said...

I love crafting with others around. It's a long time since I did a LO. only doing crafts when I have to for birthdays and swaps, as my mojo isn't happy.

Hope you have a good start to the week. Sue

Ohhh Snap said...

Love the pages and the comparison of the two styles. I think I would love both as long as I can freestyle when I want to lol (I went to one crop years ago where I wasn't allowed to use ANYTHING on my page that didn't come from that company except for photographs... and I had to pay to go?!?).

If your pages are top-loading, putting them in a 12 x 12 frame that hangs on the wall (or some sit on a flat surface) are great for an easily swappable decor : ). (And the main reason I've switched to one-page layouts).

Princess Judy Palmer said...

It sounds like you had a great time and that it was a great venue--well organized, planned out, and welcoming. Here things are very clique-ish. If you go to a 'foreign' crop expect to be treated like an outsider. Not nice. As for scrapbooking, I find it interesting that you do it better in foreign locales instead of your own desk.

Tocoart said...

Interesting to read this. I have a lot of old photos now my parents have died. I don't even know who the people are sin some of them. But I would love to scrapbook them.
I have tried starting a few times, but not produced one page I like!
Is a crop like a scrapbook meet?