Friday 6 February 2015

Bringing out the curly girly in me...

The good people at Baker Ross sent me a box of delightful pieces with which to make things. For me, some of them are a challenge because as you know, I don't do a lot of 'making'. I do a lot of taking about making, and then occasionally I stamp something and glue it to a card front. So the exercise of having to make stuff with prescribed products is extremely good for me. And probably ghastly for you, gentle reader, as you seem to be experts in every field; and whatever I show you, I know, could be better.  But hey, it's all about the self challenge and the having a go.  And so I bring you...
My imperfect heart!  Oh my, am a bit pleased with myself over this...the papers and the glue pen came from Baker Ross. The instructions are in the packet...roll the papers and then if you want to, squish 'em a bit to make other shapes.  Well, talk about a therapy!
So I rolled half lengths of the printed paper types so they weren't too bulky and then set about squishing and gluing together. Easy. And then I decided on a heart shape and got a big cookie cutter for reference. Slightly fiddly. You can now see gaps (well I can). But hey, it's pretty and there are so many more paper strips left that there is more rolling to be done!  I know it's called Quilling, but really, when you search for Quilling on the interweb thingy, the standards are amazing... I'm OK with this for now!

And to satisfy curiosity after a strange angle on my workdesk last week, here are the mushrooms. They are papier mache hearts and will be getting a treatment very soon. 


I am really quite enjoying the countdown to that St Valentine's day!



20 comments:

Morti said...

Now here's a thing! Gosh - never thought I'd see quilling on your blog....

Little known fact about little ol' me - but I was once a quiller. Oh yes. A fully paid up member of the Quilling Guild n' all. Won prizes at their annual dos. Oh yuss. Back in my teens too - it's where I really started out with my crafting, but I gave up as it was rather limiting. I still use some of my kit today occasionally! So fab - from this gentle reader I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments and love what you've done.... :D

Stacy Sheldon said...

oh that is a very cool heart :), I wondered about those hearts too :)

fairy thoughts said...

This crafting lark is great therapy whilst hibernating I find.... It seems you do too.. and you made something fabulous
Janet

Sue said...

I love the heart. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the other hearts.

Hope you have a lovely weekend. Sue

Helen said...

I've never tried quilling, but your heart looks pretty fab to me! May be the vast quantities of wine I consumed at lunchtime, of course, but no, I think it's genuinely fab!! xx

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Very pretty. Not something I've ever tried. Beyond my patience levels, I fear.

Chrysalis said...

So pretty, Julia - way to go! Have a great weekend xx

voodoo vixen said...

Love the way the heart turned out... it does look like fun to do with the added bonus of being able to squish occasionally!!

misteejay said...

Rolling, quilling...what ever you want to call it - seems you enjoyed it and had some fun. I've used a few bits of quilling on cards in the past but I've always had difficulty getting the stuff to stick without large blobs of glue.
Love the heart and hope you have fun with the rest of your goodies.
Toni xx

jill said...

I think you've done very well with the quilling Julia. Now that's one craft I've not tried before . I can't wait to see what you do with the other hearts.

Eliza said...

Come on Julia have a heart (LOL) what's the red bit in there? bleeding heart, so sorry I can't help myself here and I am typing this with a big smirk on the face. Yoda loves your heart as do I.

Hugs Eliza & Yoda

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've only done quilling once with a borrowed needle. At least that's what I called it. Really hard for me to work with it, so I give you two thumbs up for even attempting it. Great job, too!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've only done quilling once with a borrowed needle. At least that's what I called it. Really hard for me to work with it, so I give you two thumbs up for even attempting it. Great job, too!!

Robyn said...

I have the paper and the glue, and have been intimidated by my DT sisters amazing creations.
Thanks for quilling for the rest of us!

Jill said...

I love it and so glad you tried quilling (from someone that is trying to encourage more people to try it!).
There are some amazing things out there but you also can't beat simple but effective sometimes.
Hope you try it again.

Cazzy said...

Very pretty, I have quilling strips but never used them except for some flowers that never made it onto a card!

trisha too said...

You're right, it IS pretty, very pretty, and it would make a lovely Valentine!

:)

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Very pretty indeed! Never tried quilling myself, but would love to!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I think that is quilling on a large scale unless that photo is blown up to a zillion times larger. It is a very neat ornament though. I'm used to seeing quilling glued down so nice to see it made into a decoration. I don't recall seeing the mushrooms on your desk and now that they are close up I think they are more mushroom-y than heart shaped, but I'll take your word for it! ;-)

Lynn Holland said...

Can't make my mind up whether I'm glad I saw your quilled heart or not.
Firstly I thought Ooh I could do that with my workshop ladies.
Then secondly I thought oh no I won't be satisfied now until I've had a go. Which means I won't be doing what I'm supposed to be doing, yet again
Lynn 😂😂