Sunday 14 September 2014

Well Hello Dolly....(I never claimed to be original..)

I am extremely late to the Julie Nutting fan party. I love what I saw everyone doing with these images. Somehow though, every time I came close to buying one, I reconsidered because I was scared...they're quite big.  They're very trendy.  They're really very girly.

I was telling all this to my friend who runs Cups and Crafts because she has a good selection of them and was fascinated by my hesitation.  She totally caught me out by challenging me to choose one, have a play with it and see how I liked it before returning it and some samples to her.  Oh. How nice.  So then I had to walk around it a bit.  OK, a lot. And time and tide mean that today I managed to turn the bits that have been on my desk for a week into bits on a tag.  The stamps are large; I used my Big Shot plate to mount it on and it behaved beautifully.  Lovely thick foam and nice solid outlines, perfect for embossing, colouring or piecing.  Nice.  So then all you need is a few ideas.  Hmmm....






















I went down the same route as everyone else with these..but as I was playing, I was thinking 'oh, I could try this' and 'oh, what if this...', so I need to make more time to play. The real joy is the time I've spent playing, for no better reason than I wanted to. The Christmas cards waited, it'll be OK.  I had fun, I hope it shows.  Now I need to contrive another visit to Devizes; this time to legitimately acquire another of these dolls!

14 comments:

misteejay said...

Lovely to hear you having some fun with your crafting and the results are super.

Toni xx

RosA said...

Hi Julia,
That's weird - I've also come (very) late to the Prima Doll Party :) Suddenly got a "bee in my bonnet" about them and acquired five! in the space of a few weeks! Luckily, a friend was working at a craft show and got most of them with a discount :)
I've used one (successfully, I reckon), on a birthday card. It's a few posts down (if you want a peek). Then I went to Pinterest and was blown away by what other more creative :) people have done!
Have a look there, if you haven't already done so :)
Yours are lovely too!

trisha too said...

Very sweet dollies, Julia!

:)

Helen said...

Not sure I'll ever be girlie enough to acquire one of these, but I love what you've done - especially the sample on the right! So play, enjoy and share your results again!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've seen others play with these stamps, but I'm like Helen. Not sure I would ever use one if I owned it. Sure like what you made, though.

Had to laugh at your comment about my hair. The only place it's long is in front, just like WOYWWendy's. And yes, it's all naturally curly and hangs down nearly in my eyes.

And you can't imagine how long I wait at times to get a shot that has NO HUMAN in the photo. That's why you think my town is deserted (grin).

Sue said...

I love both of them.

Hope you have a good start to the week.

Linby said...

I love them and even have her book! But not all of them have seen ink yet. I love how you used the doll, especially the newspaper print.
Linby x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I love these doll stamps, they may look girly but it's surprising what you can do with a few steampunk or gothic papers Lol!
Happy crafting, Angela x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Can definitely see the fun you had! I have one of these but it rarely gets an outing…..maybe now….Chrisx

Karla B said...

This is adorable, my friend!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I have one of the large ones and a cowgirl not so large one and normal sized witchy one. I've used none of them but I fancy then as paper dolls as that is what they make me think of. It looks like you had a fun time playing with these!

Elizabeth said...

Love your tags, Julia. I'm so reminded of the paper dressing-up dolls I loved as a child - and happy memories they are too. Love that gorgeous floral trim too. Elizabeth xx

Sue from Oregon said...

Hello Julia-just popped in to say Hello and see what kind of trouble you have been getting in to. I have not forgotten you, but life has certainly thrown a few curves my way...I hope to get my act together soon so I can come back and join WOYWW soon!

Sue from Oregon said...

Oops-I forgot to tell you how darned cute these are...lovin these 'girlie' stamps LOL