Friday 5 September 2014

Red faced and loving it.... part one

Warning: this post is related to a different kind of Craft...and comes to you in editions..because there's so much to brag about.  I want to record the last weekend here for loads of reasons; to share, to thank, and because Mr Dunnit described it as one of the best weekends of his life.  Now that's lyrical. So here's the scene setting post.  

When my parents lived in Australia, I had a conversation with them about how often we would visit. We were on our second visit in four years and I laughingly pointed out that we saw less of our Cousins who live in Cornwall. Well, twenty odd years later, we've rectified that.  Thanks to Facebook, decent familial communication has taken place over a couple years and Me and Mr Dunnit found ourselves wanting to go see the Tall Ships at Falmouth last weekend.  I have no sea connections, but the combination of sail and sea - possibly the romance? - made me want to be there.  Weird huh. 
You had to be there to fully appreciate my excitement....and we really were....in the (normal sized) yacht at front right...that's me right at the front pointy end...

The stars aligned, and we went to visit with the Cornish cousins.  Oh my life.  They live a very outdoors based lifestyle.  They always have, but now they live by the sea too - so it is inevitably a wet outdoorsy lifestyle.  I (we, this end of the family) is really not outdoorsy.  I craft..it's an indoor hobby...enough said.  Everything we did and they planned was focussed on the Tall Ships Regatta and our seeing and experiencing as much of it as possible.  Which means the cousins put up with landlubber behaviour.  Oh yeah.

Saturday evening was fine proof.  Wrapped up warm in our non-waterproof, non sports style coats and wearing fairly obviously quite new trainers (but at least not specifically bought for the occcasion!), we went to watch fireworks from the water.  We used the 'launch'.  It was a wooden boat, as big as a dingy with an outboard motor.  Kindly and with high regard for landlubber safety, Robin leapt into it at it's mooring, fired it up and brought it around to a pier so that we could simply step into it.  Yeah.  Step.  You aren't allowed to step onto the plank-type seats, obviously.  So step off the pier and down into the boat. Easy. For everyone except me apparently.  I couldn't see the bottom (it was dark, remember) and of course, managed to step onto the slopey side.  Which inevitably caused alarming listing, rocking and erm, falling. Luckily, I fell into the launch and didn't wobble anyone out of it.  Hilarious.  The Cousins must be used to it because I think they laughed with me.  I'd like to point out that the pier from which I fell into the launch is completely and thoughtfully covered in a brilliant non slip material.  I swear it's a thin layer of sand and broken glass.  I should know.

Have you ever watched fireworks from the water?  They were launched on a headland and so we got the most amazing view, total darkness and - big bonus - really muffled sound.  It was marvellous.  Nor can I understate the thrill of being in a group of fifty-some-things and going out for fun at about 8.30 on a Saturday night...come on - usually we're coming home at that point!  Remember too, all of this time, that me and Cousin Jane are talking.  Really, talking and not letting the boys get a word in really.  I remember four lots of laughter though, so can only assume that they were enjoying our noise!

We motored gently back to the pier and disembarked.  I just don't have long enough legs. And now, apparently, I have no dignity either.  I could only reach the pier by getting out (I can't call it disembarking) in a kneeling/crawling position.  It's OK gentle reader, despite being lit with a sea faring style street lamp, I like to think that the light was so poor that no-one will have noticed.  Except my knees and hands....argh, that non-slip surface! 
We were tired - Jane says it's the negative Ions and sea air.  I believe her because I'm totally caught up in it.  And let's face it, it can't be our hosts making us yawn like that; perhaps the wine and late night chat had something to do with it. Who knows.  To bed, ignorant of the way you actually physically get on a yacht and therefore with a head full of fireworks and the joy of family reunions.


27 comments:

Kathyk said...

Your tall (ship) tale made me chuckle but, underneath it all it sounded like one heck of a great time!

Kathyk

Debs Willis said...

Sounds like you had a great time, despite the falling & the crawling!
Hugs
Debs x

Francesca said...

Lucky you, the ships are fabulous . I was lucky enough to see them last year in Norway @ Bergen while they were moored and when they set sail. Just a great sight. Francesca

fairy thoughts said...

:)) snigger

Annie said...

Oh Julia! I do so love the way you bring us into your experiences...that is I've enjoyed it from my armchair cos I really don't have sea legs :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Oh This did make me smile! Thank you for being so honest. I saw the Tall Ships as a child many moons ago and still remember it as something beautiful (I saw it by day)and as a 10 or 11 yr old I was also interested in the young cadets..... No more said.
I'm glad family communications have improved. Internet helps but there nothing like good old physical visits and a good chat!

Helen said...

Oh, what a fabulous tale - and we're only on part one!! I am sorry,but I am laughing to myself at the vision you have raised.... I was hoping to see the Tall Ships in London tomorrow as I am in London for a Charles Dickens walking tour and then we're visiting the Tower (actually inside, not just the poppies this time) so there may not be time to get to Greenwich too... so I hope you have more photos to share...

Sue said...

Thank goodness you put trousers on:) LOL

Beautiful ships.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Julia,

What a wonderful adventure! I love going on cruises but I must admit, they make the embarking and disembarking quite easy for us! I imagine anyone spying your disembarking style would assume that the wine and the "motion of the ocean" caught up with you!

The photo is amazing, by the way. I love those ships with the wonderful masts (or whatever they are called - maybe sails?).

Hugs,
Kay

Neet said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful - and from a land-lubber that is saying something. Despite being a Pisces I am not into water. Get up to my tum in the sea and I am taking deep breaths, over my chest and I am in panic mode and breathing is more than laboured.
Well, the photo (are you really in the yacht on the water?) is beautiful, the fireworks sound idyllic but the thoughts of you landing heavily in the boat because you couldn't see the bottom and climbing out on all fours describes how I would be. Take note dear Julia, you are not alone in undignified entrances and exits from boats.
Hugs, Neet xx

Laura said...

There's just something about spending time on or near water, even if you're not really a water person. So glad you had a good time.

I don't get into or out of things gracefully, myself, either. My friend who drove a pickup truck at the time would look oddly at me every time I struggled to get up into the darned thing. I do think being short has something to do with it! lol

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I laughed till I nearly cried. This was a fun post all the way round.

First, I got to see the Tall Ships in New York City, then the next year in Philadelphia. Like you, I was SO thrilled. Of course, I didn't get to join them in the water. Only got to see them on shore.

Second, I have been on a boat to watch the fireworks. I have a friend who lived in Huntington Beach, which is near Los Angeles. He took me on his boat to watch the fireworks one 4th of July. It was magical and totally awesome, much like you described it.

It sounds like you had a simply WONDERFUL time with your cousins, and I can't wait to read the rest of the story!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Great post Julia what a huge chuckle that ... and my legs aren't long enough for getting in and out of ships or boats for that matter :D Shaz in oz.x

misteejay said...

Sounds like a wonderful time.
Firework watching from the water is fabulous. Having owned yachts in various sizes over the years it was always the getting in and out that I wasn't keen on. At least you didn't have to wade across the mud to get into the launch...that is a whole other experience I can tell you **chuckle**.
Toni xx

Bridget Larsen said...

Those are huge boats err ships, I love the sea, I can only imagine the lady like way you got into the boat hahahaha done it myself

Paper Sewn Visions said...

Beautiful picture. Loved your post today. As the years catch up to us I think I can fully understand what you went through. It's been sometime since I have stepped into a boat. When we were young it was a breeze. I can only imagine what it would be like these days with the story you posted. Thank you for sharing.

Sharon Madson said...

What fun! Love your photo of the ships! TFS

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my Julia, it sounds like you had an amazing weekend trip all round, meeting up with family and enjoying the water and getting to see the tall ships up close and personal too! Brilliant indeed! I personally think getting into and out of boats in one piece without falling into water counts as a good effort... LOL

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my Julia, it sounds like you had an amazing weekend trip all round, meeting up with family and enjoying the water and getting to see the tall ships up close and personal too! Brilliant indeed! I personally think getting into and out of boats in one piece without falling into water counts as a good effort... LOL

Eliza said...

Alright I had to stop the story mid way and get a wine to enjoy the rest, gosh you make me laugh woman you can seriously tell one funny story albeit IRL. Lucky you for seeing the tall ships and a bonus fireworks display. I do hope you had on clean underwear. Yes the salt air does have a tendency to make us sleepy. I am also with you on the short legs.

Hugs Eliza

Monica said...

It's 4 am and I can't sleep and now I'm laughing. It really is the wine.
Monica

Kelly said...

What a beautiful shot! Very nice. As to your dignity... unless private parts were exposed, dignity is over rated ;-) Cherish the memory of time with the cousins. Creative Blessings!

pearshapedcrafting said...

On catch up so not screaming with laughter along with everyone else - a little bit better for your ears! Honestly, have you been following me around to get this bad at getting in to boat? Unfortunately my debacle was in broad daylight in front of an audience when we did our Italy 7cities in 7 days trip! Not only that, we were racing a high tide which I found quite terrifying (a total landlubber!) I got pitying looks from some of the others on the tour for days after!! Still, you did get a long chat with your cousin and those tall ships look brilliant! Hugs, Chrisx

shazsilverwolf said...

Loved your post Julia, and really laughed about the lost dignity! Just had a similar conversation with my DIL- she was saying that wide, flapping trousers get in the way when trying to climb stairs. I said ( being a fan of floor length skirts) I now understand why in all these historical dramas, you see young ladies gently lift their skirts a few inches above the ground,after I tried climbing the stairs in a long skirt, trod on skirt, skirt ends up around knees, and me on all fours on the stairs! And not a drop of alcohol in sight, rofl. Good job it was at home, and only Doug behind me, lol.And fortunately, no camera phone to hand, either. Hugs, Shaz xxxx

Anonymous said...

I like reading an article that can make people think. Also,
thank you for permitting me to comment!

Anonymous said...

Hey I am so glad I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Askjeeve for
something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would
just like to say cheers for a incredible post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have
time to browse it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also
added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://clonidine.website/]clonidine[/url] [url=http://retinaa.date/]retin-a[/url] [url=http://buytretinoin.stream/]where to buy tretinoin cream usp 0.025[/url]