Monday 27 June 2011

Stones. Big 'uns.

Last week, in pursuit of the title of Wife of the Year, I made a delivery of Mr Dunnit's fabulous joinery to a site in the village of Avebury, deep in beautiful Wiltshire. Don't ask me about the joys of living in rural Wiltshire unless it's a sunny day, or unless I've just spent a day in London. On grey and cold days, I struggle for any level of enthusiasm. I dunno if you've even heard of Avebury; the village is set within a stone circle, and is a World Heritage Site. It's about a thousand times more beautiful than Stonehenge - and much, much bigger. You can still picnic amongst the stones, the National Trust has an interesting presence and the good people of Avebury really tolerate the influx of tourists very well, I must say. I love it there. Not, I have to say, because I even begin to get a sense of anything spiritual. I think I'm way too cynical and self focussed for that. I love it because it has to look forward as a village, becasue of it's past - it has a busy road, it's got lots of lovely (I mean, Estate Agent lovely!) houses, some traditional, some very old, and it has the ancient stones and the shadow of a really big ditch to walk. It is a success in terms of being able to enjoy, appreciate and conserve all at once. It's so pretty. Parking is a pig - don't let your husband drive past the big car park becasue he can park on the roadside. He can't. And, unless you are spritually pulled there on June 21st, go on any other sunny day.
Man it was sooooo busy. And there where I think, equal numbers of policeboys and girls as there were solstice revellers. A colour clash. Oh yeah. I can't tell you what the guy at the building site said about these people and their event. Mostly because his Wiltshire accent was so broad and his turn of phrase so convoluted that I didn't understand. I'm only guessing when I say he found them a minor irritant. Oh well. Cut along to Avebury and see for yourself. You will not regret it. Particularly if you've been to Stonehenge and felt a bit, erm, cheated.
I know - any minute now, I'm going to be a travel agent!!

23 comments:

Milliesmarvels said...

I love Avebury too - it has a really special feeling about it. We took the boys there on a long walk on a hot day like this and saw some amazing views culminating in the magical stone circle. It's a great place.
Jane
x

Sarpreet said...

lol, its done, you sold it to me. I love beautiful sites and scenery. And can get lost into them! I am a bore I know, but i love site seeing especially historical sites.

Helen said...

I have only ever been to Stonehenge - but looking at your photos, Avebury is - as all the people in the know say - much prettier - and accessible! Glad you had a lovely time.

Lavinia said...

Mmm cheers for that little review of Avebury! Sounds wonderful. I will put it on my "to do" list next time I am down that way! Hope to get back to WOYWW soon!

Lavinia
x

fairyrocks said...

Ahhh, the stones, They are on my bucket list. Thanks for the tips. I LOVE the stones!!

Claire said...

Oooh sounds lovely, I'll add it to the list of places that I'm trying to convince Hubs to take me.
C
xx

JoZart Designs said...

I too prefer Avebury as a place and it is amazing to walk amongst such ancient stones which isn't possible in Stonehenge unless you pay megabucks for the privilege of going into the inner circle. I know, as I organised for some German friends to do just that...and at 5am one morning!!
JoZarty x

Twiglet said...

Beautiful photo - I can feel a little dumfing coming on!!

Serendipity Stamping said...

This looks and sounds lovely! So serene. England, Scotland and Ireland are on my bucket list, but I fear that is where they are going to stay. So I live through the pics. LOL

Siobhan Brignull said...

beautiful photo Julie and Ive been too in the first flush of our marriage, so many many moons ago.. thanks for reminder

Anonymous said...

beautiful, wish i was here,,,right now!

Anonymous said...

stunning picture - so atmospheric. Must go there next time we are in the area.
x Tricia

Pam said...

I agree Avebury is much better than Stonehenge. It's been a few years since I've wandered around them but that's what happens when something is on your doorstep!!

misteejay said...

What a fabulous photo. It looks like a beautiful spot for spending a sunny day.

Stone circles & great stones intrigue me and it is so nice to hear that there is still somewhere you can actually walk amongst the stones.

Toni xx

Carola Bartz said...

It must have changed over the years. I went to Avebury in the 80's and it was very quiet - and beautiful! I loved it.

Morti said...

I've been lucky enough to go to Stonehenge on a Solstice and get up close and personal with the stones for free. Even better, it was the Winter one, so only the die-hards were there, not the over-inebriated muppets, and luckily for me the weather was good so we even got to see the sun rise. Up close and personal is the only way to do it - because then you get a proper impression of the size of the stones. Having said that, I want to do Avebury at Solstice next, because I think that'd be a little different. Such a beautiful place, marred only by the price of parking.... If you go, go ALL day... cos it's the same price for one hour as for eight!

Louise Fox said...

Thank you for a couple of wonderful minutes to reflect on what it feels like to be in a beautiful place in the sunshine where the beauty replaces the stresses and responsibilities of the day! A wonderful mini-vacation through a gorgeous photograph! Blessings.

nerllybird said...

Well, yes, I was going to say....never mind Wife of The Year, Tourist Board Rep of the year, more like!

Might I just ask, by the way: it's just occurred to me that you seem to have disappeared from facebook. Not that I blame you - just checking that you've ducked out completely and not just deleted me from your Friends list....sob....:D
Helen S

Jo said...

And guess who got stuck there the morning of the 21st trying to escape Wiltshire!! Live just 6 miles away!!! Fab picture!! Hugs Jo x

Bubbles said...

I've been a regular visitor to Avebury and Silbury Hill for many, many years... but haven't been so much in the past five or six years because of the amount of tourism. I know... sounds hypocritical - but it has become a LOT busier ove rthe past ten years or so. Still... if you do go, please visit Silbury Hill... count the stone circles (at least THREE)... and watch out for the sheep droppings *lol*
Beautiful, beautiful place - and yes, much better than Stonehenge.

Ohhh Snap said...

Lovely! And oh my that is a verrrrrrrrry big ditch! Did the people who set up the stones also dig the ditch? I think you racked up a huge number of points in the Wife of the Year category btw :D.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, this looks like such an interesting place!

Pam said...

Okay Ms. Dunnit. Have I ever mentioned how much I love it when I get here before WOYWW goes live? I have added this to my bucket list, which you have a way of adding to it's growth, and I thank you for it. Now I will refresh.