Saturday 11 June 2011

Fool's Sunshine


A couple of weeks ago, Jan and I met up at the Expo Centre in London's Royal Victoria Dock - the Cosplay MCM convention was underway. What? I hear you ask, have you taken up role play in costme to reflect the characters found in Anime? Which characters did you dress as? Well, at the risk of disappointment, I should say that we merely drove; between us, 7 teenagers in various costumes. It's not for me, I don't get it. But I do get that their hobby makes them happy, after all, I spend a lot of time writing about and photographing the results of mine, huh!
Anyway, we hopped onto the DLR (I'm almost a native Eastender now you know) and headed straight for Greenwich. I know, not exactly East end after all, but hey. We ignored the lure of the university's architecture and the world famous National Maritime Museum and even the lure of the Meridian, and instead headed straight for a nice lunch and the indoor market. By way of an outdoor flea market. At which I acquired 2 more nice spoons for my collection. Jan brought me one. To prove that she has no fear of what she calls my 'kitsch' taste. I may one day share my fascinating and fun spoon collection with y'all. But you'll have to be nicer about it than that LLJan. Anyway, the indoor market was as lovely as we wanted it to be. I bought this beauty:

I don't know if I've ever given you the impression that I'm slender and willowy. If I have, you'll be surprised to know that it's possibly a misleading description. If I tell you that this fantastic chunky colourful jewellery is in the perfect proportion for me, are you getting a better picture?
I couldn't resist this necklace and it is still making me smile. Not least because it was £10. For me, that's a bargain. I got it from Beadoir. Abby, the maker, owner and the most patient woman in Greenwich, just let me faff around over a choice of three (as did Jan), pointing out various differences. One necklace apparently had no green beads...I was too excited to be able to tell. She has bracelets in the same style that are on a sort of bendy wore so they wrap around your wrist more than once....heaven. Although if my sister is reading this, I do admit that the first time I wore it, my neck was itchy and nadgy and I wanted to RIP IT OFF, but I used my 'sensible grown up' powers to ignore the feeling and now it doesn't bother me at all. And that is a result. Because every time I wear it, I could sell it to someone else. That's really the point of this post. When we meet and I'm wearing my chunky plastic, beautiful, cheerful jewellery, it's not for sale. Oh and the 'kids'? They had a great time at the convention; one of them had the cheek to say 'you're going to wear that' when I showed off my lovely necklace. Huh. Look who's talking.

17 comments:

Sunshine Girl said...

lol - love your new pifs too!

Helen said...

I love that necklace - it's gorgeous! Not sure about the costumes, but then I guess if it floats your boat....
Have a great weekend.

misteejay said...

Super colours in that necklace - a bit of cheer to wear.

Toni xx

Fliss said...

Fantastic now I have to book my daughter's birthday party here thanks for the idea....!!!!

Belinda Basson said...

I would love to wear something like that, the more colours in it the happier I am!

JoZart Designs said...

My DD1 won't now admit that she went out in a short 1950s floral Liberty print dress and German officers Jack boots... just keep the photos and bring them out in a few years! Mind you.. I quite like their outfits!
JoZarty x

Serendipity Stamping said...

Sassy outfits on those girls, what a hoot. Love your new jewels. I make those types of things also. have just done something new, foot sandels, all the rage here right now, of course we are in the beach area of Florida. Quite fun to make. See ya next Wed.

donnalouiserodgers said...

the DLR is a wonderful thing to travel, except when the bugger gets rerouted and it takes you three goes to get to the eXcel.

it is after all a wonderful acronym (donna louise rodgers)

I myself am a star quality beauty; as you will have seen on my videos, where I have to use my ugly double so I don't get swamped with offers of marriage..

I still dress up

My family still refuse to walk alongside me when I do...

Ha
Dx

Claire said...

Love that necklace Julia :)
C
xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Love the beady necklace bargain you bought Julia lurv it!! and no I know it is not for sale!! and yes the red outfits are certainly striking too! love Shaz in oz x. (who is still chuckling!)

Pam said...

When we went to London a big chunk of the DLR was closed so it took u 2hrs longer to get to excel than it should have, and we had the joys of the bus they had going through whitechapel (not nice!. Your necklace is fab. Pam x

Jackie said...

Love the necklace, very funky :)

voodoo vixen said...

Love that bright colourful bit of sparkle you have there Julia!! I don't think I have been shopping in London since the 70's.... it may have changed a bit since then!! ;)

Dragon said...

What a funky piece.... the necklace I mean - well what did you think I meant!!!! Saucy pair eh??
Frankie
xx

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

What a fun post. As the young ones would say
"A Real Hoot!" Love the photo in the red..wow.

Michele said...

wonderful post! love thse pieces. xo

Anonymous said...

the jewels are beautiful,, love the costumes too,, looks like fum!