Thursday 16 June 2011

Ah, there you are

So here is the utter shambles that I was working in yesterday, jsut by way of proof that I did something whilst being offline. It wasn't ironing, which it probably should have been!

The young man posing as a grown up Cable Guy has worked his magic. I know Mr Dunnit was in fear of leaving me to do the explaining....he completely, totally doesn't get me, even now, after all this time! He really kindly explained at length the things he had done to restore the internet to my PC, and even went as far as to show me where the wires lead to and plug in and blah, so that Icould inform the Cable Guy. I listened, followed, looked and promised to tell Cable Guy. And when Cable Guy arrived, I welcomed him, invited him in and brought him to my workroom. I moved the stool, pointed at the box with the blinking lights that were no longer blinking and said 'this is where it all seems to start'. And that was it. He immediately said it could be fixed with a new modem because this one was apparently hopelessly out of date and he went to the van to collect such a thing. Then, whilst kneeling under the desk he explained that the new blinking lights box would do something to the wireless network that involved another box on my desktop. I don't know what. Suffice to say, when he'd gone, Miss Dunnit took the second box away because he'd unplugged it and apparently we don't need it any more and hurrah, a freed up socket!
So here I am with internet, blinking lights and a lack of something. It all makes me alarmingly happy. As a lot of people who WOYWWed yesterday said - you don't know how much you use it till you can't. And other things about dependencies. I was very VERY pleased with the young man. As I walked through the hall to open the front door for him, all the time gushing about how badly I need to do all my worthy and worthwhile work online, *cough*, Miss Dunnit came out of the kitchen and said "she might hug you, she's so pleased". He fled...couldn't fall out of the door fast enough. Ah well. I got what I wanted!

25 comments:

Helen said...

So glad whilst you were net less you weren't letting the side down by doing housework! Your desk looks very busy today but I fear there may not be room to work....
Hope your new flash whizz bang modem keeps you connected to the rest of us! And yes, I am at work, and no, I shouldn't be typing this....

Ohhh Snap said...

LOL, young men are so cautious these days. So glad you are back with blinking lights in celebration no less :D. Fabulous desk, and love the button wreath! TFS!

Annie said...

So no hug then? Ooer young man! :-)
So pleased for you that it's all sorted now.
A x

voodoo vixen said...

There is nothing quite like a blinking box to cheer the soul of us interwebs addicts!! So glad you are back in the land of blogs and I am amazed you managed to scrap... I would have been cleaning just to keep the frustration levels down from not being able to check my emails!!

voodoo vixen said...

oh and what is that these beardless wonders are so afraid of???? They can't have all watched the Graduate, can they? Heeeee heeee heeee!

Artyjen said...

Blinking marvelous!
Bet you are happy :)
xoxo Sioux

Neil said...

Hi, It just didn't feel like a PROPER WOYWW without a pic of your desk so glad to see all is well in wonderland again and your desk looks like it should do; creative.

Anonymous said...

At least we can sort of work without a computer but they do make life easier. I am lucky to have my own 'Cable Guy' as our ES does all connecting and such with cables and gubbins. A real help I can assure you!!
Lovely to see your desk.
x Tricia

Kath Stewart said...

hip hip hooray...well done Mr Cable Man...didn't he offer to tidy your desk while he was in magic fix mode...hugs kath xxx

Twiglet said...

There is nothing wrong with wanting to hug a young man who has just performed interwebby magic!! -er or cleaned your windows, or fixed your boiler or mended your car ......... oh no? that's just my fantasies then!!!!!

Mandy said...

you work like I work mrs dunnit!!! me desk looks the very same!! its comforting :) xx

Morti said...

Yay! You iz back....

okienurse said...

Awesome! Just typed sorry to hear you were without internet now I am happy to hear you have it back! I am clueless when they start explaining what they just did! YAY! glad you are back online! Vickie

Sherry said...

You had me laughing Julia before I'd even finished reading! So glad you're back on line - and a freed up socket ... yay!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, go you! My lappy is still not 'with new hard drive', the young cough, cough, technician is surely fobbing me off and treating me like a mushroom! Sooo, I've decided that if it's not fixed by Monday...I'm buying a new one and he can said broken thing!
*hugs* Sal x
ps I'm still anon on this one Julia, so embarassing!

Elizabeth said...

Ah, that's better - you're back :) And your desk is reassuringly normal. Seems Cable Guy is up there with policemen and doctors - looking younger every year! He may have been watching too many episodes of Cougar Town, hence the speedy exit ;) Elizabeth

misteejay said...

Now that looks like a Julia zone - not that empty desk you showed before LOL

So glad you're back in Blogland "Three cheers for Mr Cable Guy"...

Toni xx

Kirsty.A said...

Welcome back

JoZart Designs said...

Ooh er! It was just as though your words were coming out of my mouth....I don't do cables or explaining anything about computers so I would have been exactly the same.... but maybe I'd have got away with a hug being as how I'm much older than you! Glad you're sorted!
JoZarty x

karen said...

Ha ha, your post made me spit out my tea from laughing! So glad you are back ... however the young Cable Guy managed it with all his mumbo jumbo, lol!
xoxo
Karen

RosA said...

Ah, that's better! Hooray for the techno nerds! I'd be lost without our resident IT guy at work, who is my husband's nephew, hehe ... so ... I am allowed to hug him, but preferably not at work!

That buttony thing looks interesting.

Sue from Oregon said...

Yahoo...proof positive that she really does have stuff a happenin' on her desk!

Pam said...

Arent husbands funny, mine knows exactly how to seperate the whites and the colours and which wash it needs to go on (he does all the washing), he even does the ironing but.... anything techy off he goes - when we were trying to persuade sky that they were telling us fibs about the xchange here I had to write him a prompt card so they would think he knew what he was talking about!!!

Glad you are all sorted now!
Hugs Pam x

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

I had to laugh at your phrase "young man posing as a cable guy" they're are getting younger aren't they? (nothing to do with our age of course) and the blinking boxesare so very re-assuring aren't they?.. I love them to bits!! Shaz in oz.x

Angie said...

I always plead insanity and old age and smile pathetically ...seems to work.
Age is a strange thing ...I once heard myself asking a 'boy' doing my sight test, when he left school!!!!!

Anyway ....nice to see you ...to see you ...nice xx ...omg that shows my age too.