Sunday 9 January 2022

Putting Christmas Away

I don’t know if you know this about me, but I like to spend December surrounded by Christmas stuff. Apart from the home stuff and decorations which are a given, I have a few bits and pieces of erm, mobile decoration. I have a couple of nice scarves to wear under my coat….one with reindeer and one with robins. I have a Christmas handbag, red wool, embroidered with nutcrackers, rocking horses and other ornaments. You have to get quite close to see them so it’s not too embarrassing to go out with me. When I can find them, I have a lovely scandi style pair of red and white gloves. All of these embellishments are in use from December 1st until twelfth night. I love having them and particularly love that they are useful decorations! 
This Christmas I had the ultimate accessories.
Yep. A glasses case, a foldy-in-on-itself shopping bag  and a little purse. Now, Lunch Lady Jan may have looked at this fabric and thought of my Christmas accessory thing with a bit of a tongue-in-cheek glint in her eye (pardon the mixing of metaphors), but I can’t tell you what a fab gift this set has been. The fabric just fills me with joy! I obviously don’t need to explain the virtues of a fold flat shopping bag. The glasses case has snuggled my essential ‘price label, shopping list and menu’ reading glasses without slipping or loss and the little purse has been home to a power pack type charger and some wires for my old and constantly needing charge mobile phone. 

When I’m out shopping or coffee-ing, being able to literally pull these out of the bag has been such a pleasure. Caused smiles, laughter, joy and conversation. And a few times, I could have sold them! I did direct a few people to the Harbour Lights Cafe at Burry Port for purchases, (Jan sells her makes in there, entirely for RNLI fundraising). Mostly though, I was unforgivably smug and on enquiry would just say that a friend made them for me. 

These 3 amigos are now in the airing cupboard after their wash and will finally go into the storage bag of Christmas napkins, table runners, bunting, hand towels and erm, bath mat and shower curtain to wait till next Christmas. It’s no wonder is it, that I look forward to December like no other month. Huge thanks to my mate Jan, as usual. Even though she ran away from living near me, I carry her laughing with me! Or at me, I can never quite decide when it comes to the Christmas stuff! 

15 comments:

Kathyk said...

FAB post and what a lovely pal LLJ is, to have made those splendid sprouty gifts for you

Happy New Year to you and to all at the WOYWW

Kathyk

Helen said...

what a fabulous gift - love that fabric; even if I don't like sprouts - and so typical of Jan. Glad they will give you such enjoyment every December! I love that you think of Jan when you use them too, keeping her near you. Take care.

Anne said...

Fab gifts. Like you I have various Christmas Stuff - a gorgeous scarf with Robins etc etc. This year I bought cushion covers for bedrooms - with jolly snowmen on lol. Have a bright red coat lol. My granddaughter commented one year - erm you look very erm red!!! Lol. X

Darnell said...

Oh, my, sake's alive, but that fabric has me in stitches, Julia! Jan made you a perfect triplet delight for December. (Personally, I would be using them all year long! LITS!) I can just imagine her display at the Harbor Lights Cafe and I'll bet her makes are snapped up quickly. (Still using and loving my tote, so please let her know I think of her often, too!) Hugs, Darnell

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I’m so pleased you like them, I just thought of you when I saw the fabric! Hooray for Christmas kitsch and making people smile 😊
Hugs LLJ xxxx

Robyn said...

LOVE! that fabric- as for friends- you have said it all! I too have that love for DEC when I get to take out my cup with poinsettias, my apron with same, and slightly over the top hair scrunchy! Putting them away can be a tiff, and oh- the anticipation!

Mary Anne said...

Goes perfectly with the sprout napkins we got at the Garden centre where Maddie works LOL! Gotta love it.I always feel a little sad "breakin' up Christmas..."
Mary Anne

Spyder said...

Hate sprouts, love your bag!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm an oddball. I love sprouts and I love that fabric. Jan did good and knows you so well!

craftyani said...

Love the sprouty fabric, Jan always manages to find some fantastic fabrics. I use my little bag every day for scissors, pins, etc. Ani

BJ said...

Brilliant

Crafting With Jack said...

I should think Jan was laughing with you and not at you, you are good friends after all. It’s wonderful when friends know exactly what you would like. I am always sad when Christmas things get put away. I have a Christmas clock up all year round.x

Neet said...

I can see how these must make people laugh when they see them. Such great funs and a fabulous present from your mate.
Pity they have to be put away - roll on next November? You don't have to wait until December/Advent or time like that.
Hugs, Neet xx

Ali Wade Designs said...

I just love that fabric. I like to have things to use that make me smile. Ali x

Susan Renshaw said...

LOVE the sprout fabric!