Saturday 2 March 2019

Nostalgia. Right here.

My late lovely friend Mary left all of her craft stuff to benefit her favourite shop and some of her friends. Honestly, she had so many wood mounted stamps that we couldn’t split them between us equally because none of us had room to store a share. So, Shopkeeper Gal has a secondhand section which is full of these stamps. We decided that if I used some of them in workshops, it might encourage sales because folk would have an idea what to do with them. This isn’t so important with current stuff is it, there’s a million places to look for ideas for using new and current stuff. 
Art Impressions...
Art Impressions...love ‘em

I’ve had a ball. You know how I love wood mounted stamps. Some of them are by manufacturers that no longer exist which is a shame. Some of them are stamps that I have owned in the past and sold at some point, which has taught me a big old lesson about keeping stuff! But more interesting, is that they’ve made me stop fretting about packing the card with ‘new’ techniques and clever tricks, and just concentrate on a couple of layers and some colour. Love it.
Art Impressions and the Mighty Holtz

Now I’m nostalgic for wood mounts, snarky comments and sentiments that make me smile. I even used ribbon on a card I made today, which is an almost forgotten embellishment in this time of stencils, pastes, six different inks and I don’t know what! Mary and I go way back, we enjoyed making cards, she was a master at getting a hand made card to everyone;  I think she would love to know that I’m enjoying it all over again!

9 comments:

Helen said...

I have some great Art Impression stamps that (you'll be surprised) I haven't used in so long! Glad you're having fun with them again

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Im sure Mary would enjoy you using them all over again Julia... Im like you and an ild fashioned love of wood mounts.. Im privately sad when see them being unmounted. I did a few way back but wish I'd left them mounted now. Two cracker cards I don't have art impressions only cos you don't see them here. Or at least not where I shop! Which is very limited...
Glad youre having fun.
Hugs Shaz in Oz.x

Sue said...

Hi Julia, I much prefer wood mounted stamps, but have slowly got rid of most of mine. I never got into stamping, as I wasn't very good at it.

I love your cards.

Hope you have a lovely day and Storm Freya passes you by. Sue

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Brilliant! Both of these made me smile :)

Karen Dunleavey said...

I sadly never met Mary, but a lot of her stamps and other craft goodies have made her way to my craft room via the second hand boxes. I have taken the stamps off the wooden blocks and use them often. Everytime I have a rummage in the second hand box there seems to be one I hadn't seen before. Bit like my own stamp collection really!

Lindart said...

Great cards! I love the Art Impressions people, so funny! You have a good sense of humor! Lindart

Darnell said...

True that, Julia! Classic card designs will always stand the test of time and I love both of these! Of course, I have that lady in the chaise and back-in-the-day, I used to draw a ciggie in that hand of hers. It just cries out for it ... well, anyway, that's how I looked on the chaise back when I partook, calling out to the Mister for another refill! Adding the sediment is always tricky with this large woodie, so thank you for sharing this clever way to do it! Of course, I love the snark on both! I like to think that Mary is aware and she's wildly happy about this!! Hugs, Darnell

Elizabeth said...

I have some old wood mounted stamps too and I love storing them on shelves because I think they are decorative in their own right. I can't say that about all acrylic stamps, much as I love them too. Those Art Impressions stamps are brilliant - love the snarky comments. Your cards are great - like Darnell, I'm admiring the way you've added the sentiments - Mary would be impressed! Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Kathryn Frantz said...

Sounds like Mary was quite a gal! You honor her well!