Tuesday 28 August 2012

Back to Basics

Blimey, if you could see my desk.....
Well, you will tomorrow of course, but by then it will be marginally better, because the stuff on top of the stuff that's spread out over the stuff will have been removed.  I hope. See, the weather made me stay in yesterday which was supremely helpful in terms of workshop preparation.  Me and that Shopkeeper Gal decided that in her new location, there might be a few people who'd like to start a paper crafting habit, and so we cooked up a couple of 'Introductory' workshops.  After all, far better to spend on a two hour workshop than buy all the gear, get home, get in a muddle and hate it.  
Resist colouring
Straight forward, heat emboss and 2nd generation stamping
Originally we were going to make cards.  But for newbies, learning the technique and then turning out a card is a pressure, so I thought about maybe trying stuff on tags.  Then I discovered that there are non-newbies booked into the workshop too.  So....I've split the  difference.  
 This large postcard edge die cut means that we are making sort of index cards covering basic stamping techniques using the two most popular inks...pigments and dyes.  It means that they can be used as mats for mounting on card fronts, or punched and stored on a book ring as reference cards.  Each card has the technique instructions on the back, so it will make a handy reference guide.  I think.
 gloss card......use the right ink for crisp DRY images!
See, none of it is rocket science, but thinking back fifteen years, when I came home from the USA with a bag full of stamps and embossing powders and no-one else to ask...it took me a while to work out the different ink properties. The inks range alone has increased exponentially since then, so a gentle, non-overload introduction might be a big help.

And there's the other joy of Workshops...sitting at a table getting to know people.  You can tell a lot from a person about they stamp, respond to sharing supplies, take an instruction...oh yeah, it's a fascinating, good life.







And the good old stamp outline, emboss and colour in...layer up with other images...

23 comments:

misteejay said...

You have been busy. Great creations.

Toni xx

CraftygasheadZo said...

Fab creations and great workshop ideas. I'm going to have to visit this crafty shop you know! Zo xx

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

I love the Smile card with flowers and the pattern on the resist one. I've finally bitten the bullet and booked somewhere to hold cardmaking classes. Now to decide what to teach and how simple (or not) to make it!

Ohhh Snap said...

Great idea to have postcard edge cards. And all great techniques. I tend to have a favorite for a while, then move on to another and after awhile I see one like your resist colouring and I'm all "I need to make one of those!" Love those oranges and golds. Have a great time in the workshops! I hope they realize how lucky they are to have you two as references :D

Sarah said...

Fabulous projects for your workshop. Have a great day.

Sarah x

Helen said...

I'd love to take a workshop with you - even for the analysis.... "see" you tomorrow!!

Unknown said...

How wonderful..I cannot figure out how to use the embossing powders. I bought one container, used the clear stamping pad, sprinkled on the powder and heated it...it just brushed right off...could you please help me?

Neesie said...

My Julia you have been busy. It sounds like you're having a great time though. I'd love to be able to visit your workshop.
I remember when I gave instructions for silk painting workshops...I had such a great time meeting so many lovely ladies. It was great to inspire and be inspired...plus having such good gossips! ;D

Annie said...

Maybe I wouldn't have sold all my stamps if I'd known what to do with them eh? :-)
If only we lived closer.
Hugs,
A x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Although I'm not really a stamper, it took me FOREVER to figure out the difference between DYE, PIGMENT, DISTRESS, and SOLVENT inks. I think this will be a nice refresher and a nice first time adventure for the class. I hope it is fun and I'm sure it will be successful.

Sorry I'm still MIA, but life has certainly gotten in the way of computer time lately. I'll be back soon, though because I miss you and everyone.

Lisa-Jane said...

Looks like a fab way to introduce some new techniques to the new and not so new.

Redanne said...

Hi Julia, I have only ever held one workshop and that was recently but what fun it was! You are right about it being a great way to meet and chat to people. All your makes are beautiful but I really, really like smile one, it is so colourful and fun. Crafty hugs, Anne x

Eliza said...

I can see why you are doing the workshops, you are a natural. love the cards. Perfect and not overwhelming.

Eliza

Jenny Marples said...

Sounds like you've got it planned to a tee Julia. Even more experienced crafters find difficulty with techniques they have learned on their own but not mastered. Best of luck (not that you need it) with this workshop. Sounds like it will be great fun. Hugs, Buttons x

505whimsygirl said...

Hey Julia,

Oh, I really want to come...... Your samples for the class look fun. Can't wait to see what your desk looks like tomorrow!!!

Peace,
Kay

Kyla said...

Oh that was a productive day! A great idea for a workshop, something they can take away and use as a reference is brilliant as we all forget what we can do with new products (I have no idea how I worked these things out in the days before YouTube!).

Kyla

scrappymo! said...

They look great but I love your idea of printing the method recipe on the back.
Wish I lived closer...I would sign up for a class!

Anonymous said...

Wish I lived closer to you. Sounds like a really useful and fun workshop. Can you make a DVD? I am still learning about the different types of inkpad. Ali x

Sarn said...

FABULUOUS . . . love the middle card the bestest xxx

HeARTworks said...

Busy, busy, busy! Yes doing workshops, giving or attending, is always fun! Patsy from
HeARTworks and
papemelroti

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived closer as well, beautiful creations,

toni said...

Hi Julia that 's my kind of desk loads of stuff going on. The postcards you've made for the workshops look fab. There's lots for people to learn in the techniques you've chosen without being too much I'm sure everyone will have a great time. Happy WOYWW toni x

Unknown said...

Julia

It must be so fulfilling to inspire a new flock of crafters by doing all those interesting techniques... I'd love to do something like that. I love the idea about collecting different technique tags (or whatever) on a book ring for later reference.

Love the samples you've produced - just to play with stash and experiment is something I really need to do more of!

Good look in getting new recruits on the workshop.

Paula x x x