Monday 10 December 2012

Gift card cards. You call 'em Minis

Step back three months ago to the not so blistering, not so Indian Summer that we didn't experience, and bask in a false sense of goodwill created by our post Jubilee Olympic success.  Shopkeeper Gal is planning her winter workshop schedule (easy for you to say) and I'm thinking how fun it would be to make a maze book for Christmas.  After all, even non-scrapbookers want a little souvenir, right?  And it will be a nice chance to have a couple of hours away from feverishly making cards.  Oh, totally.  
Outside front cover, board 'wrapped' with scrapbook paper and adhered to outside front page.....

 In all good conscience, I think I had probably spied the mini accordian fold die in the massive selection of dies that Shopkeeper Gal stocks and I think I felt it necessary to genuinely have a need for it.  After all, I own a scoreboard and a guillotine... Anyway, I bought it.  And then I had a lightbulb moment and changed the remit of the workshop without asking anyone.  Now I want the world to make gift card holders and little brag books.  To be honest, once I got going, it wasn't easy to stop and I have a couple of ideas floating around still...just no time.  Unless I stop writing this, and well...you know me, it's easier to talk about it than do it, even when I actually WANT to do it!
Inside.....it's double sided scrapbook paper; you can just see the two pieces of 'wrapped' board that make the covers.
This single layer is a perfect way to give a gift card and jazz it up into something a little 'more'.
So at the workshop there will be less control than I usually have, the customer gets to pick her own choice of papers and I'm going to take a long a boat load of 'stuff' for the fixings.  Am pretty sure it will be fun.  And am also pretty sure that in making samples, I could happily make a gift card card for almost everyone I know!  Once you start, it's really an easy rolling stone.  And I suspect that it's the die...I was never any good at the preparation part of stuff if I'm making for me.  
Two layers of scrapbook paper, glued together to form pockets of the two middle sections.  Outside front.

Outside back.  Pockets punched with thumb nothches and ribbon stuck under the co-ordinating front card stock.

Inside.  You can just see a tag in the first pocket.  Really, you could get very carried away with this ..
But gentle reader, please do not mistake my enthusiasm as having the time to play at my desk... why this morning, I didn't even have time to make my weekly list before I was out in the big white van making a delivery. Seriously, you would be astonished at the number of people who want every job they've ever waited to order, NOW.  Christmas appears to be such a deadline and I've no idea why.  Answers, if you've time...

Same die, this time treated landscape fashion and a pocket created on the long edge at each end.

Ribbon handles to add to the 'purse effect' and the photos make it a brag book.....

14 comments:

Squirrel x said...

(a) Thank you for making me smile (b) Wow girl, these are amazing! (c) Seriously impressed :o) Hugs Sxx

Helen said...

People are just impatient (I should know...) Love this book, what a gorgeous thing it is. I love the papers.

My name is Cindy said...

These are really lovely, I'm sure everyone will enjoy making them. I'm not sure I understand the 'everything ready for Christmas' notion either, just adds more stress to what should be afun time of year. But I guess it's kind of a deadline for a lot of people - if we haven't done it by christmas will we ever do it? Fortunately we tend to side with the never get round to it brigade!!

Monica said...

great idea and perfect for memory makers

Redanne said...

Wow Julia, a great way to make a gift card look sensational! Love all of them and now I seriously want (need) that die! Your ladies will love making these..... Hugs, Anne x

Kyla said...

Starting the week without a list.....ooh.....good luck!

Kyla

Glenda said...

All of these are wonderful! So very creative. About the list....I always have a list, but most times, don't remember where the heck I put it!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

People just now are realizing the year is wrapping up so they'd best get to it.

Love the mini accordion books/gift card/tag holder thingys. A fun gift that you make simple or go all out on.

How fun that you have the desire to jump in and play. Hopefully you'll get some time to do that real soon.

Craftychris said...

I love these, they look so cool! xx

fairy thoughts said...

OMG you have been busy, its a womans perogative (and a crafters)to change their mind. Your books are fab.... wish I had time to make one .... maybe after the christmas deadline!!!!
janet

BJ said...

Wish I had the inclination to make one of these they are adorable. BJ

caz said...

Love what you've made - really useful ideas and fun to make too!

One year, hopefully soon, I will manage to not be in such a panic before Christmas!!! Even with the card making frenzy I had earlier on, I'm still so far behind, I will be buying some cards (again) this year!!! Ah well, maybe next year.......

Lizzie said...

Some cool ideas here - I love the pockets. Gift card holder is a great idea - I'm always decidedly underwhelmed by the yukky cards they give you in the shops!
Maybe though, I could try to make these without a fancy die thing? D'you think?

Elizabeth said...

As someone who has a predilection for brag/photo books, I can only say these are right up my street :) I feel a need coming on ... hopefully Santa will bring me a nice big voucher to spend on crafty goodies.

On the subject of folks waiting till just before Christmas to have jobs done ... Only yesterday I was wondering, out loud to the EM, about that very thing myself after seeing a house with it's windows out and door open to our minus temperatures awaiting the installation of new double-glazing!?!? Elizabeth xx