Friday 8 January 2016

The Pink Eggs

You know how you don't see something, and then its all over the place? That makes no sense, but it says what I mean! For instance, your friend turns up in new, shiny red Craft car. And from that day on, every shiny red Craft car on the planet seems to be in your neighbourhood. That's what I mean. And these pink eggs are absolutely no exception.
keeping my eggs in one basket. Geddit?
Shopkeeper Gal introduced me to them just before Christmas. They are make-up sponges. Things of utility and some awkward coloured beauty. I think. Well, she said that they were popular for direct to paper techniques, particularly for first timers who struggle to blend inks on the paper, and for those who hate the square edge look they sometimes get from Cut N Dry foam.
Christmas week gave me a chance to obtain a few for my trial purposes. I popped into the shop and Shopkeeper Gal gave me a gift. When I reminded her that I'd said not to bother (she's tied up in a shop, too busy) she said "I know, but you'll like it". And she was right. it was an egg box filled with pink sponge eggs! My family didn't understand my joy at all. To be honest, it was ever thus. And I've since seen them in two different magazines and three fashion shops. Good grief, I'm fashionable. Even if I'm using them wrongly.

Anyway, I've played a little. I like 'em. They have a wonderful surface area for ink as well as something to hold. I'm very mean about the sizes I cut fro the Cut n Dry foam, so these wil work well...specially for masterboard size inkings..not nearly so much strain on the hand! 

15 comments:

Barb said...

haha Julia believe me you'll still get lots of stain on your hands. I've never seen these lovely trendy eggs but I do use the regular ones they sell for crafting and love them. I have several rolling around on my desk all the time. Have to say though I'm envious of you having so many to play with. Barbxx

Pen Sunshinepen said...

Pink eggs, I have all my in a large egg box but only have coloured bottoms. But its strange how you never see things and then once you have something everyone has one. It is like the car we bought 3 years ago - never saw one - now every time I go out there is another on the road.

Crafty hugs Pen x

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

Oh egg sponges! I can see how having no edges would be perfect for blending. Those wedge shaped make up sponges have edges everywhere... In fact seem to have more edges then they rightfully should!

Annie said...

Yes it's def a post of having all your eggs in one backet there Julia and under normal circumstances not something I would advise but wahooooo I love them. Have no idea at all what I would use them for but I bet they are very squeezable and strokeable so I'd have lots of fun with them lol.
Hugs,
Annie xxxx

Kathy said...

oh! cute. Must look out for them, they look perfect for my ham-fisted inky-painty style.....
When I say style I mean mess

Sharon said...

I really thought they were eggs lol. What a great idea! Page looks really pretty.

misteejay said...

I have a number of the Creative Expressions 'craft' versions (two different sizes) but these make-up one look such fun. I'll have to keep an eye out for some.
Toni xx

Sue said...

What a fab idea.

Love the page.

Hope you have a lovely weekend. Sue

FLR said...

Wow! I thought `Julia is early with her Easter-deco!´ But no, this is a better use!
Have a nice weekend
Francisca

Helen said...

ooh these look very useful, I do find it annoying getting straight edges from the cut and dry foam that are so hard to blend out... not seen these anywhere though!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Mm, seen Sue on Creative Expressins use white egg sponges so knew what they were on your desk.
Am quite happy with my very varied system as have heaps of different ink applicators :) love the idea of pink egg box though.
Shaz in Oz.x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The only place I've ever seen the eggs were on your blog, but I'm thrilled that they work. Like you, I am often disappointed by the hard lines I get when I use a cosmetic sponge. You are very, very trendy, dear friend, and I hope they are as easy on the hands as you claim!

My name is Cindy said...

Oh yes I like these - I have some of the CE ones and and keep them on my desk in an egg box. Much easier to blend with than the myriad of other bits I have. That is quite a collection!!

HeARTworks said...

Ha ha I thought at first they were salted duck eggs! They look exactly like that! I wonder if you have salted eggs in England? We don't have those fashionable sponges here in the Philippines! patsy

Lynn Holland said...

I've never seen them before but I'll bet a pound I will now. I think I would just play with them in the basket.
It's often been heard in this house "she never uses anything for what it's really meant to be used for".
Lynn x