Saturday 22 August 2009

These cards formed part of the workshop last week; the one for which I had to formulate the excuse that punches are merely hand-held-portable-die-cutters. They are, so it was OK, no-one seemed to mind! The flowers on this card are punched from an EK Success punch and then a small circle punch used to just nip off the petal edges. Chrissie posted a card using this 'technique' last week, but she used a fancier punch and the results were stunning. I didn't share this card then because I believe that if you're going to pay me for a workshop with a few ideas and refresher techniques in it, you're entitled to be amongst the first to see what you're going to make! All the papers here are My Minds Eye and the stitching is a felt tip. Of course.


Although HUGE in the photo this one is actually only 4" square! Uses Bazzill's embossed white card stock, round scallop Nestability and then a strip of grey stock embossed with the Cuttlebug Birds & Swirls folder. The message is stamped - Printworks stamp (a huge fave of mine). Nice straightforward cards that are repeatable and successful in any combo of colours; and the smaller cards are so useful for using up scraps. But I often don't. I lay the stuff on the card base and suddenly get a yearning to cut into a new sheet of something-or-other. Fortunately, often, it does look better. To me. Or could that just be because I want to use the new stuff all the time? Dunno.
I'm meant to be in the kitchen. Testing the new oven's baking even-ness. The 'old' oven element blew for the fifth time over 10 days ago and at £50 a pop, it wasn't worth buying a sixth. So then we spent 10 days putting off buying another oven - you know the feeling; you need to buy another, but it's a chunk of cash that you don't really want to part with. The time we waited, you'd think we were expecting them to suddenly become a fraction of the price! It was nice to have a non-hob meal last night I must say, today is flapjacks and biscuits - a test to see if it's the cook or the oven that's burned everything in the back right corner for the last 5 years! Obviously, you'll only read about it if I'm in the clear.

8 comments:

Paper and Ribbons said...

I really like the blue flowered one, very pretty, I like the sections, not thought of doing that before!

Claire said...

Those cards are stunning Julia.
xx

Myzdamena said...

Flapjacks and biscuits? Numnum, I'll be right round..... I love your little easel thing you put the cards on... I should get one, maybe it would make my cards look better than me holding them next to the door and taking the photo with my other hand... hehe xxx

Sally said...

Oooo the blue/turquoise card is lush - may have to try that one if that's ok Julia.

CoventryAnn said...

Love the flowers on the first card, second one is SO classy!!!

Kit said...

wow Julia love these cards

Ginny said...

fab cards but LOVE the first one, fab idea with the petals

thanks for the comment, made me blush :0)

LG said...

love all the cards Julia!