Tuesday 8 March 2011

That was the Crop that was

So we managed a 12 hour crop. I had in the end, packed carefully and in daylight. Such diligence paid off because I found myself awake very early in the morning thinking about bits and bobs I could add to my kits. Usually I'm awake half the night in a sort of paralysed panic. Weird, for a day that I look forward to, huh. We had a well planned and frankly, brilliantly executed Pot Luck lunch...there was little evidence of 'Pot Luck' but it was great. And it continued to be so, for we had supper too!
So when I finally unpacked yesterday, I decided to photograph the LOs that I'd made. I don't like a post without a picture, so I use them to dot about with random posts.
As I took the photos, I noticed a couple of things that I hadn't previously; this LO of Miss D and chums for example....I loved the mixed fonts and the randomness of it all, and then noticed that I'd laid it out along a right hand edge..which means it's not central on the page. Normally this wouldn't have occurred to me, so no idea why I saw it through the lens...
So I went back to my desk and added some more stuff. Margins are equal now, and the random word text stickers at the bottom please me because they aren't overly neat. This is finished now I feel, and so it gets filed in the album. I know it's not a great change, but it feels better, even if at first glance you can't really tell.
I must be honest and say that I have never re-visited a LO. Good Lord, if I were to go back and try to correct balance or composition on my existing 'collection' of LOs, I'd probably never get anything new done! Like most, my albums tell the story of my evolving er...style...or sketch dependence, call it what you will. But I'm not tempted to change them - they are after all, as much a part of the story of my scrapping as they're about the photos and story I was capturing. And they please me - despite my yearning to be like others in terms of skill and composition, I love the whole process and so I guess the outcome is only as important as the input, and the whole thing is just plain fun. Except the packing. Really.

16 comments:

Annie said...

Love you LO Julia. :-)
A x

Elizabeth said...

The finished layout is fab - I like the use of all the different fonts. Sounds like your crop was a complete success. Elizabeth x

Paige said...

FAB!!!!! I love it!!! both the un-finished and the finished version. I adore the "hello my name is..." is that a stamp? and what a great photo!! thats the kind that Miss D will look back at in years to come and be so pleased to have.

Helen said...

Love the layout - both the during and tweaked versions!! It wouldn't have occurred to me either, but then I don't scrap...!

Sunshine Girl said...

I like both layouts - I have a pile of layouts that need tweeking and going back to - I envy the fact that you dont go back to a layout - it can take me weeks to finish a layout - its a nightmare!

DanielleP said...

So glad you had a good time at the crop, and although it sounds like you could have gone just for the food, it's also nice you got some scrapping done too!
DanielleP

Neet said...

Glad you enjoyed your crop. Bet it was good to have a girly weekend.

Helen Pigott said...

Interesting LO, when I look back at some of the first LO I did I cringe because they seem so poor but a friend said not change them as this shows how I have progressed! I often leave a crop and come home and have a finish off however, I like the changes you have made x

Lynne said...

I can relate to the paralysed panic and yes it is weird for something we enjoy so much! lol
Love the L/O the added title finishes it off perfectly. I always design my L/O and go back later to finish off. Glad you had a good crop, sounds great fun. Love Lynne xx

Jona Panesa said...

even before you modified your LO, its lovely!

HeARTworks said...

Love it so much I'm reminded to get back to my scrapbooking. Haven't done any in months and I have piles of not only pictures but all sorts of stuff to put in.

Carola Bartz said...

I love the transformation of the LO just by adding a title to the left and some more stickers at the bottom. The focus is on the photo, the way it should be. Just beautiful. I haven't re-visited any of my scrapbook pages, they are what they are. It's way too interesting to look back at the beginning (and funny).

Sandy Huntress said...

Your finished layout is perfect, those were just the right tweaks!

I agree with you about not going back to redo old layouts. I do cringe when I look at my earlier ones, photos cropped into cute shapes, sticker sneezes, lol. Thank goodness for growth and progress!

Dragon said...

I liked the LO before and after... It does not bother me that it was all over to the side, as I love that, for example it is quite oriental balance, rather than western... The crop sounds SUCH fun. I have never been on one and would love it I'm sure.glad you had a great time after all that planning!!!
Frankie
xx

Virginia said...

I love how you changed it - it is noticeably immediately to the eye and balances the whole layout! Strangely enough I've been going around with a layout recently - fulfilling a sketch but then thought - is that it? Took me two days to fathom out what was missing - now I'm happy with the layout!

Lyn said...

Oh I so know about the need for balance (Capricorn, remember)... and I have no issues at all with packing ..... no empty space! Love the result of your ponderings :-)