Tuesday 6 June 2023

What’s On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 731

Gentle desker, it’s not that my desk is empty; that won’t happen unless we move. It’s just that it is completely unchanged, I haven’t so much as moved stuff a single centimetre until now. So I’m not showing you the work desk per se. Some of you will have seen on Facebook that I spent a couple of hours on Sunday sitting in the sun, catching up with my thread journal. As it’s now June and we’re half way through the year, I’m thinking this size of hoop will accommodate two yeqrs if not a third!
My not-much-younger sister is my judge on this one…every now and then she goes through it and if she can ‘see’ what the icon is meant to be, I tell her the story attached to it (by looking in the little diary I keep for this purpose.) At the beginning, I was putting the little pictures very close together for fear of not having enough room, but now they are reasonably spaced. Perspective is a huge issue, but I’m not going to consider it. My attempt at Salisbury Cathedral is almost the same size as the pair of little chicks above it. Thirty years ago when I had 20-20 vision this might have vexed me. Now, not at all!
Also this week, the happy Mail keeps me smiling, big thanks; these are from Susan and Neet, my word the ideas are just amazing. Truly, it’s not just on a Wednesday when thoughts of this community make me happy.
Now don’t faint, but this is a three-fer! I actually remembered, so am quickly going to tell you about the acrylic words that I had on my desk last week. Still there, but I have a pic of some of them by way of explanation. They’re about 4mm thick and laser cut. I buy them principally from two sources, Bramble Fox and Peartree Cutfiles. I use them for titles or additions to my scrapbook pages. Largely because I can’t bring myself to give them away on a card, but also because they aren’t always the right size for my kind of card making. In the picture, the ‘30’ set are actually mirror silver but have a protective film over them. They need a wet glue or silicone to attach, I find the silicone is better because it grabs the smooth backs better. The complicated cuts or thin, serif fonts are quite snappy, so they need reasonable storage if you end up hoarding them. Ask me how I know. I am however, over the innovation, and can use them with ease now, so you will see them on pages that I post here if you haven’t already. 
I could prolly ramble on some more, but I believe it was actually me that asked for a modicum of brevity for WOYWW posts, so that’ll be it for now. This is scheduled for reasons of ridiculously early appointments again, but it’s OK, I’m just the driver for this one, so I’ll try to log on whilst I’m waiting. Meanwhile, post and inspire please!


17 comments:

Neet said...

Just popped on here to get the url for my linking and here you are - is this a mistake? Hope not as I am linking.
Glad the ATC's got there at long last. thank you for your patience. Sorry there's no inspiration on my blogpost. Maybe next week.
You know I almost turned to an embroidery hoop and some silks the other week but then `I fell asleep before I got anything out and the idea went. Good luck with yours, you do some lovely work.
Hugs, Neet xx 1

Helen said...

Well I am going to follow Neet and link as I write, early! I did enjoy your FB post of your sewing in the sun. Hope you get to the appointment on time tomorrow and have time to browse desks whilst you wait. I do like those words Happy WOYWW (on Tuesday) xx Helen #2

Mary Anne said...

Loving the words, glad you shared. Been following your embroidery journal as you post and very much loving it. Ah the sun. It’s been lovely but can’t last? Weird to think I don’t have to worry about linking in the AM lol! Whatever made me pop round for a nosy? Too lazy to type the link, too likely to mess it up, so I always copy & paste. Lucky for me this week… and I can hit the ground hopping in the morning!
Happy Woyww
Mary Anne

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

No time to leave a comment now. I'm off to the grocery store. I'll be back soon.


BJ said...

As with the other early birds I came on here for the URL for my post and was a little bemused, interesting scheduling. Meanwhile I had scheduled mine for midnight as usual but managed to unschedule it to enable a link up now before I go do the post dancing washing! Love your out door space, can't persuade hubby to let go of his grass for a patio. Nice neat thread box. BJ#6

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I promised I'd be back. I have now grocery shopped for my Thursday play date, filled a wheelbarrow my neighbor gave me with potting soil and planted several packets of flowers. Now my urge to vacuum before I visit deskers has waned, because I have suddenly once again overdone the work.

I think your thread journal is making progress, but my goodness it a huge task, isn't it. I really like your drink cup and matching straw.

Those are some LARGE letters and words. I can see why they probably wouldn't work on cards and are better suited for a scrapbook page.

Lovely ATCs. Everyone had such a clever idea when interpreting this year's age.

Sarah Brennan said...

I hadn't spotted the early post and thought for a minute I had overslept Julia lol. Those acrylic words are cool and perfect for scrapbook layouts. Enjoy the sun while it lasts. Great stitching. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #7

Annie said...

I love how your embroidery grows...it’s so personal. Keep up the great work. Have a great day.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Julia, sounds like you've had an early morning and hope the appointment went okay and you were there on time. If sitting outside in the sun is what you like to do then the desk can wait. Wishing you a very happy woyww with some crafting maybe on your return. hugs, Angela x11x

Crafting With Jack said...

I hope everything goes well this morning. Too cold to sit out today - unless you wear a coat and take a blanket :) I can see those large letters being great on a scrapbook page. I particularly like Hot Hot Hot for a summer page. Happy WOYWW x Angela ~13

Christine said...

You caught me out at an early hour . . . couldn't believe my eyes!! Didn't link as I had not even written out my post!!
I tried to send a photo to you on facebook to say I was also sitting out but lost the post. I find facebook very annoying with all the posts, some not wanted and some . . . .!! But I stay to catch up with my children . . .
Have a good week
Christine #14

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Hope you have a great time with the family but do look after yourself too. I hope you have time to sit and chill and do some more embroidery!
Hugs LLJ 5 xxx

Caro said...

Love the sunny garden embroidery photo! It really was perfect weather over the weekend, shame it is a little chillier again now. Happy WOYWW. Take care, with love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#15)

Kelly said...

We all need a change of scenery, Julia. Looking forward to close-ups of the needlework. For those 'slick' items, try Cosmic Shimmer glue. Great for adhering slick surfaces. I buy mine from Spectrum Art Creations in their on-line store and during their live sales on Saturdays.
Hugs & Creative Blessings! ~Kelly #16

Lynnecrafts said...

I love your embroidery and it’s lovely that it’s full of personal significance. It would be lovely if you felt you could share a close-up, too.
Take care
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 8 xx

Spyder said...

Well I think your outside table looks fab! Mine at the moment is covered in pots and flowers waiting to be planted up
Haven't done a woyww this week, did one last week 😔 but no one came, so I didn't know who to visit. My late mum's birthday was on the 6th and she used to do a lot of embroidery Happy woyww, Lyn.

Susan Renshaw said...

I was sure I commented on this but it doesn't look like it. Thank you so much for swapping with me in the Anniversary Swap - loved your ATC - and the badge!!
Glad my card arrived...