Friday 30 December 2022

Probably more, but certainly two years ago, I sold some wood mounted stamps on eBay. They were part of a late friend’s collection and the money was destined for the Stars Appeal, a fund raising arm of Salisbury Hospital where she had worked for many many years. I can’t remember how many stamps there were, but they sold in batches and each batch I sent off with a card, just and literally saying ‘thank you’. 
One of the buyers got in touch to ask about the card and we struck up quite a conversation. We quickly stopped using eBay’s mail system and Karen soon suggested that we swap ATCs. 
Easter
We quickly developed it into a monthly swap, alternately choosing the month’s theme. It became clear, as quickly, that Karen is a multi talented all rounder of a crafter, her computer skills are amazing and since we became Facebook friends, I’ve discovered that she also does the knitting, crochet, sewing…..you name it, all the ‘off paper’ crafts! It’s been great and these few ATCs that I’m showing you are just a random sample from this year’s collection.
Butterflies
It makes me quake a bit when it’s Karen’s turn to pick the theme, you can see she has imagination in spades, and I always end up hovering outside my comfort zone in a panic! When it’s my turn to choose, I tend to scan my stamp shelves and decide when I see something I haven’t used for a while. Unless of course it’s an obvious month, then I will be reliable and pick ‘love’ for February, etc. 
Feathers
We’re going to carry on through 2023 with this, and the thought makes me happy. The happy mail makes me happy! I know it’s not a huge commitment, but it’s brought me huge pleasure. I love that Karen and I would never have met but for a couple of rubber stamps and we’ve struck up a friendship based entirely on the images and stash that can be fitted on an ATC. We haven’t met, and just like with WOYWW if we can meet in person it would be a great pleasure, but if we never do, it doesn’t change the friendship. Seriously, of all the things that have to offer thanks for, crafting continues to really enhance my life.

7 comments:

Kathyk said...

What an enchanting story as well as some fab ATC's. I've made so many electronic friends through crafting and have been lucky enough to meet some of them, including you at one of the Tidworth crops!

Wishing you, your family and your readers a very Happy and craft-y New Year!

Kathyk

Helen said...

Such a happy friendship to have developed from your willingness to sell on some loved stamps from another friend. Karen is certainly a talented crafter!

Happy New Year to you and your ongoing atc swaps with Kathy!

Helen said...

Karen!!

Robyn said...

ye, yes and yes. As my DD says, Mommy the world is our community! and we all know art saves lives. thanks for sharing and creating!

Anne said...

That is so lovely and the ATC's are fabulous. X

Ginny Maxam said...

What a great share this morning, it just made me smile! These friendships are truly 21st century stuff, I have a few myself that were birth through the old Yahoo groups and then of course through Facebook. Even though I haven't met some of these gals I can't say I feel like I am very good friends with that and they have along with crafting enriched my life greatly. Thank you for sharing your story and the pictures it was a great way to start my morning with a cup of coffee!

Crafting With Jack said...

How perfectly lovely to made a friend and keeping the relationship going with ATC’s. It’s quite special isn’t it xx