Monday 29 January 2018

Rubbish post

Like a lorra people who do papercrafts, I strive to keep my recyclable rubbish and rubbish rubbish apart. I don't have two bins, so I tend to keep the non recyclable on the desk top and move it when I've finished. (A rare thing, considering my inability to really tidy up). Anyway, this week I am conducting a workshop and we're going to make, among others, this card.
As you can see, it involves die cutting. I decided to get ahead of the game and cut the turquoise ones as part of the kit. Because it's a fancy shmancy die and is fiddly and is difficult to release from the die once cut and because it's prone to tear and because it needs wax paper and because it just saves time. I mean, who wants to pay for a workshop that involves wasting precious time wrestling with a basic design feature. Not me. I'm my own benchmark. So I set myself up. And couldn't find the die. Seriously  - a new die, and already missing. I looked everywhere. And concluded that somehow, I must have thrown it away. So now you see why I was grateful that snotty tissues, drinks cans, apple cores, banana skins and such are thrown away elsewhere. The only rubbish in my workroom bin is paper, card and plastic wrappers. Or that's the plan. Metal dies are not a part of that plan.
So I went through it. And I couldn't find the die. So I got another bin liner and emptied everything, one piece at a time, from this one to the other. Still no die, and only about 20 minutes wasted so far. I really was at the point of tantrum; I like this die, I do not like it enough to buy it again, and now I actually neeeeeeeed it. So I tried my mother's trick. Calm down and look in all the places it shouldn't be. It wasn't muddled in the clear stamp drawers. It wasn't trapped under the cutter (a quite well known hidey hole, actually) and it wasn't for the 4th time of checking, in the folder where it should have been. But I did find it. It was in the folder where it shouldn't have been. The one allocated to Christmas themed dies. Yeah, I felt foolish. Still do. And yeah, both files are the same to look at. And no, I haven't labelled them. I assumed that the bulging, over full non-Christmas themed file would be all the clue I'd ever need. I must have been distracted.it appears that even when I tidy up, I'm untidy. Glad to be in possession of that fab die though!

12 comments:

Helen said...

oh I can just imagine the frustration building.... so pleased you found it though, and good luck with the workshop!

Sarah Brennan said...

Glad you found the die. It's most frustrating when you mislay something. Lovely card.

Annie said...

So glad you found it. I know just how frustrating it is to lose something you NEED. I lost my artery forceps this week. Yes artery forceps is what I call them because I’ve used them in a former life as such but now I use them for turning my Memory bears inside out and stuffing them so, as you know, I’ve really NEEDED them lately but could I find them? I tidied up everywhere and still couldn’t find them. I checked bins too just like you. Thankfully I did find them and by the time I’d finished my room was spotless. Maybe I should lose something more often?
Hugs,
Annie x

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, that really is so annoying- you know you had it, you've seen it recently, but can you actually find the blasted thing? Not a chance. Until, in my case, it turns up somewhere I've already looked. At least 3 times! But, thata afab card, and is further proof that I NEED that die, you naughty little enabler you. ROFL. Hugs, Shaz XxX

Neet said...

Oh dear - Julia - that is a tale of woe. So easy to happen, and happen it does - often!
Glad you found it though and hats off to you cutting enough out for the workshop, if I can get out of it I do. Remembering the church I did one Christmas and there was only one die for the tiny window(s) - of which the church needed six! Drove me mental and I wished I had not cut out but imagine the class trying to cope with that! Nope - you did good girl.
Hugs, Neet xx

Neet said...

Forgot to say how much i like the card - fabulous!
Hugs, Neet xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Ah Julia, your system is rather alike mine, and yes have baggie just like yours too, which has once contained a die.!!!

Phew was I ever so glad to find it,!!!
.... that same said Die has also gone through Cuttlebug the wrong way, ie under plates and into works, by accident of course!!! and thankfully was eventually straightened out enough to use with no great ill affects.
Duffers, aren’t we!!???
Shaz in Oz.x

misteejay said...

Fabulous card Julia and so glad you found the die.
I'm sure we've all been through that 'panic' especially when we know we've only just used something. At least you now have it safely there to prepare your workshop.
Toni xx

Sue said...

Hi Julia, Glad you found the die. The card is lovely.

Hope you have a nice day. Sue

Cara said...

Glad it's not just me then! Why do they make colourless cutting plate So? The number of times I've lost one because I can't see it on the table is ridiculous! I have a super strong magnet on an extending stick thing, which is very handy for poking into the rubbish bin to search for a missing die. Hope the workshop goes well x

Robyn said...

been there- done that- and always light ta candle to ST anthony- never fails! We need a parton At of die cutting! Maybe ST Julia!LOL!!!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

First of all, that's a stunning card! And as for untidiness - this could have easily happened to me - dies and stencils are so easy to misplace. I've got several stencils missing and I know I must have somehow thrown them away. Glad you've found your dreamcatcher die -it would have been such a shame to lose it!