Monday 17 November 2014

Giddy Heights of Ronda

Remember when we last talked Holidays? Yep, just last month, we were on the sunny and beautiful Costa del Sol and we took a trip to Ronda.  It's high, up a mountain.  The road was excellent, the car (considering it was the the smallest 1.1 Kia that you can hire for 27 quid a week) was a trouper. Bear in mind that two days before making it take us up the mountain to Ronda, we'd driven it flat out for 200 odd kilometres to get us to Granada!

Well, anyway, I thought it time to share some of medieval Spain.  Who knows why people choose to settle where they do.  Southern Spain's mountain's have more distinct seasons than the coastline, perhaps that's one consideration.  Perhaps, in medieval Spain, the attraction was that a livelihood was to be made living near a large church and monastery.
It can't have been easy.  Particularly before they built a bridge to get over the ravine.

There was a river...but it was almost imperceptible at the bottom....fabulous views though!

There were narrow streets, cobbled of course, any number of restaurants boasting the best views of course, and a bull ring. Whatever you think of the 'sport', it's quite impressive to think of any breed of animal being herded so far up the mountain without proper roads and vehicles.  There's nothing particularly unique about this bull ring. It's used as an exhibition and show ground, a stadium, all sorts - as you'd expect in a small town with limited resources.  There was a charge to go inside. With or without acceptance of cultural diversity, I think we were both of the opinion that it would make us feel as if we were bystanders at a car crash (even though there was no event).  So we didn't go inside. Choices. Opinions.  




Then there were the alleyways on gradients that made your heart pump, leading off the 'main road' (just wide enough for two vehicles...and they were originally horses and carts remember), and all led to the church and monastery.



We sat in the small Plaza outside the church and the town Hall and enjoyed some peace and shade.  Despite it being October, it was still beautifully warm.  And really busy with tourists.  Can't imagine how busy it must be in the full on part of the season.   


It was a lovely place; you can imagine and I have loads of photos, but really, not to bore you further.  But you need to know what's out there huh - specially if you decide to make a trip - or are offered a trip - you'll know where  you'd like to see for real! And if you aren't easily bored, take heart, I've still more to tell about this particular holiday!  Snicker.

15 comments:

misteejay said...

Fabulous photos Julia.
I love 'wandering' around a place through someone else's eyes - if it isn't somewhere I've been it sparks interest but even if I have been to a place, I love to hear/see the views of others.
Toni xx

Sue said...

What a beautiful place. TFS.

Hope you have a good start to the week. Sue

Diane said...

Rhonda is beautiful and so peaceful. I especially like Mijas too. Visit if you get a chance

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Holy cow, Julia. These are gorgeous photos. That bridge had me staring for what seems like hours. That one would be worth the trip alone.

Aren't you glad you got a small car for the mountains and those narrow streets? Can you begin to imagine taking your van there? NOPE, me neither.

Please share more and more and more photos. I love it when I see vacation/holiday pictures. It's like a gift you have opened and shared with us.

Anonymous said...

More photos too, please! Last time I went to Spain I was about 19 and it was all about the beaches and the night life, now if I could go again, I would definitely be following in your footsteps.

Helen said...

I love that first photo!! I wish I could have seen the views first hand - but thanks for sharing the pictures - more please!!

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Julia,

Wow, the first photo is quite impressive! It is interesting to think about what draws people to settle where they did. Los Alamos is over a mile high and sits on top of mesas, almost like fingers with canyons in between. The native americans built their homes on the sides of the canyons where they'd have a clear view of anything approaching. Yet they would have to carry water up which couldn't have been an easy task.

Thanks for sharing your photos. By the way, hoping to join in WOYWW this week! Last week I had Tuesday off work and was so confused..... haa. Not much required to cause that.

Hugs,
Kay

mamapez5 said...

I love that first photo. We´ve not made it to Ronda yet but it is on my ´Places to visit`. I´ve been told that Autumn is the time to go there because the trees change colour and look beautiful. We only have evergreens around here. Glad you had a nice day for it. Kate x

Robyn said...

this is my fav form of travel- bring on the photos!

Carola Bartz said...

A great place to visit, I think. I probably would shoot one photo after another if I were there. I love old places.

voodoo vixen said...

Love your photos and commentary... more so because if you say Spanish holiday to me I think of laga louts and partying to the wee hours and now you have shown me a part of Spain that I would truly enjoy visiting!

Neet said...

Thanks to you I can just sit and bask in the sunshine (it actually is shining here today but I meant the sunshine in your photos) and enjoy the stunning scenery. Keep 'em coming!
Hugs, Neet xx

Anonymous said...

We went to Ronda on a trip to the area a few years back - in January! It was 18 degrees down on the coast, and by the time we got up the mountain road (I filmed a lot of it on the way back down) it was minus 3 - with snow on the side of the road! We only had lightweight coats - and spent a lot of time in a lovely warm restaurant having lunch. We did have a quick walk round - and always said we will go back one day when it is warmer. We do not go in bullrings either. Ali x

sandra de said...

Stunning pics.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

Wonderful! we took a tour of Spain and I just love these old Spanish places! I would love to visit Ronda!