Monday 10 February 2020

It’s only taken a month...

At the beginning of the year, (which in fact was only last month, despite how it feels), I was stamping for the sake of it. And enjoying it and using some lovely wood mounts that don’t get a lot of use these days. I made some cards for my Sissy and put a couple into my stock box. Nice. Then, on a WOYWW post, you might have seen I’d chosen a Julie Nutting dolly for my next card, and was planning on some paper piecing.
Well of course, that slowed me down. Actually completely nobbled my ‘flow’. I didn’t finish it till yesterday, and only then because I wanted it off my desk without having to throw some of the cut out bits away. So I cut out some more and then did some die cutting too. Time consuming enough. 
You sure can tell that I was finishing and moving on can’t you...no hint of a background at all. Hmm, may have to rectify that. I like the die cut text. I layered the orange on top of the original that cut from the kraft card so it stands a little proud in the aperture.

I know the position of the text and the lack of insert inside the card will cause a lot of shaken heads and teeth to itch. But it’s ok for me, my card receiving friends must be used by now, to the erm, ‘quirky’ finish a lot of the cards have. Sometimes. Because I manage to convince myself that it looks ‘arty’ or ‘fun’ and totally part of my ‘plan’. Well, when I say ‘plan’.......


8 comments:

Belinda Basson said...

I love it! I dont think it needs a background...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think it's perfect. You certainly make good use of your die cutter. Now all you need is the friend to send it to!

Helen said...

I like it without a background, too... and I never use inserts in my cards!

Kathyk said...

I like it without a background too. Sometimes cards just have to "evolve" over time, it was worth it though

Kathyk

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Awesome colour combos Julia. I think you're clever, love that image too.. bit fussy here, I'm an old fashioned stamper and not keen on so many that you see aroubd these days that are ghoulish or weird. I'm a tad weird πŸ˜‰, but don't stamp weird! Yours is elegant and beautiful, great card. My only suggestion would be a few scribbles around her feet to ground her, if needs must.
Way behind in commenting. I've only one hour. I'm easily distracted!
Sorry for such late visit .. 😊
Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you.
Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Darnell said...

You describe so well what happens to us when we set ourselves up on a mission to do this or make that and for whatever reason it doesn't go right or we get interrupted and, well, talk about itching teeth! It becomes a power struggle of you vs. a bit of paper. It sounds silly, but oh, how paper can bring us to our knees! I'm giving you ten pats on the back for locking your knees and taking back your power over this little tiny paper girl! I LOVE the end result, but then I've always been a fan of paper piecing. That dress is gorgeous and I really love the unique way you did your scripted die sediment! I will be copying that idea, so thank you!! Hugs, Darnell❤

Kelly said...

worth the effort to finish. Lovely 'piece' . Creative Blessings! Kelly

Neet said...

Loving the orange and black against the Kraft card which does not need a background at all. I think it is perfect the way it is and the colours you have chosen work so well with the background colour. I hae a few of these JN Dolls so will bring the with me to the crop if someone reminds me to.
Hugs, Neet xx