Friday 14 December 2018

In preparation.

I'm at the stage now where I've had lots of bags hanging around the spare room, stuffed full of items that are set to be gifts for various people. I use the big bed to spread the gifts out and allocate them to their various recipients in little piles. That's not to say that each member of our family gets a box full of gifts from us, but that there's often one or two rather than one 'main' gift. It's a very useful overview for me. I can see what I've got which means that I can easily tell whether I need to get anything else. I can also get a sense of whether I've bought enough wrapping paper! 
I've been doing it this way for as long as we've lived in this house. Miss Dunnit, now 25-and-a-half was 18 months when we moved here. So I' thinking, it's an annual routine by now. And I beg you to agree.I asked Mr Dunnit to add a bottle of rather tasty gin to 'the big bed' rather than walk past it on the stairs as he went up yesterday. This is my bedside table last night.
Is it me?! I don't know which worries me more - that he's over protected from the whole present planning and wrapping thing, or that he thinks I want a bottle of gin at my bedside!
In his defence, he did seem rather embarrassed that he'd made such a mistake, (and it IS a mistake), but he laughed hard and long over my slightly offended and exasperated reaction. And now we're thinking hmmm, should we really give this one away.....!

8 comments:

J said...

Julia, that’s my way of thinking, even to packing for our trips, lay it all out so you know what you have, but now living so far away from family if we are with them just before we leave a small gift to open and give them money as the DGSs have so many toys already.
My mum used to hide everything in the attic and then after Christmas find things she forgot to give us!, she always started Christmas shopping in the January sales hence the need to use the attic to store it all in!
Hopefully I will join in with WOYWW next week now I’ve got over our three month trip
Jan S

Lunch Lady Jan said...

This made me laugh!! I'd keep it by the bed and enjoy a snifter every night 🍸🍸🍸
Xxxx

Sue said...

Hi Julia, I do the same thing when packing for a holiday. Get it all together and lay it out on the bed. I don't have a bottle of gin to pack though:) LOL

I think you and your hubby should open it and enjoy it. Sue

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm still laughing at this post. Since I make most of my gifts, I wrap and label them as soon as I make them. However, when I travel, I do the same as others have noted. It also tells me whether I need to put some clothes back or add more to my carry on luggage, the only thing I ever take.

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, laughing at this. I reckon you need to get one of those mini freezers for the ice cubes, and somewhere to store the tonic too. :) Hugs, Shaz X

Helen said...

no, definitely keep it there.... quite an eclectic collection of things on the table! you'll be surprised to hear I don't have a lot of space for laying things out like that, but I would if I could!!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Poor Mr Dunnit thought it was better to err on the side of caution! I have my wardrobe stuffed with gifts, mainly for my son, and now I'm thinking I should have wrapped them in case he goes looking for them like I used to when I was his age. Totally ruins the surprise but so irresistible! Happy wrapping!

Neet said...

Love it! Every bed should have a bottle of gin close by.
Hugs, Neet xx