- Monica and I would like someone to explain how to comment on Google+. It makes me bad tempered that I had to join, had to open a GMail account and now can't work it out. I know you lot will be gentle with the explanation.
- Loads of Deskers want to point out that Word Verification is incredibly frustrating. If you use it, please don't be disapponted if your comment numbers are lower than average..it's really difficult to do - especially from a tablet! There are alternatives that are pretty effective : comment modification means that you have to approve comments prior to publishing. It means that you 'manually' control any Spam. And you can also change settings so that Anonymous comments cannot be left. That cut out about 9000 spam comments a day for me!
- Even MORE Deskers actually become quite agitated after going through the Word Verification process only to be told that the comment will then wait for Modification. I confess that I'm one of them..especially if I'm using the iPad which hates Google and makes any process on it as difficult as possible.
- Wordpress users are not exempt - Verification by having to type in the email and URL is equally time consuming. Again, even Copy & Paste or Auto Fill aren't really the answer, but....I don't know if you have a choice or not - so Wordpress users, speak up!
- Remember that the link list on WOYWW posts is exactly that - a list of links..click on any name at any number on the list and you will automatically have that particular blog load in your browser. You don't need to click on names in my comments to find their blogs.
- When you link to WOYWW, you don't need to worry about leaving your link list number on MY comments. When you comment at other Deskers, you do need to tell them your link list number if you can possibly remember to do so...it's just easier/quicker to find you.
- During the Northern Hemisphere winter, my WOYWW post goes up between 2 and 3 am. (I'm in the UK, that's a GMT time). This gives you exotic International Deskers a chance to be in the first and teens, number wise. As the world turns, and my mornings become lighter and more bearable, so I start to post WOYWW live - and that will be anything from 6.00am to 8.30am. It depends entirely on what my wednesday plans are!
- If you wonder why your position on the list changes between typing in your blog address and the link appearing on my page - it's simple...someone else is loading their link in as well, and the computer will arrange them.....so, if you comment that you're number 15 and then discover that you're actually at number 19..take a smile from the fact that others were linking at the same time as you - that's real 'hands across the world ' stuff!
- If your position on the list changes some time after your link appears - it's even less complicated. It means that I've removed a double, incorrect or unfair playing link, and the list automatically re-numbers. I figure that if you leave your number in your comment and it changes, your reciprocate will work out that actually, you're just above or below the number you mentioned. It's still easier than searching 3 columns and 100 odd names. Especially as we know each other by blog names even better than we know each other by Christian names!
- I should re-iterate that whilst it's meant to simply be fun, some rules have had to develop...and yep, I sometimes do remove links that don't participate in the spirit of WOYWW. If you aren't getting comments from people on the list, it's because your post isn't in the spirit of showing your desk and telling about what's on it. Simple. If I remove your link and you can't work out why, do ask me...because I won't necessarily email you to say - I figure the handful of times I've done so, the reasons have been really obvious!
Monday, 24 February 2014
Hey gentle readers. Things arise as a result of being a blogger with a MEME that need a discussion. Or a gentle reminder...and so, in advance of another WOYWW, I thought to air a few often asked or commented upon issues.