Saturday 23 November 2013

The Spike

Wood mounts. Christmas. theme.  On the floor.  Enough said.
I was talking to Shopkeeper Gal this week about market forces and shopping habits as the Big Ho Ho Ho looms.  Her shop is always busy, and I had asked if she'd seen a large spike in sales as the need to create cards and etc has come upon the nation.  Not she said, within the traditional timings.  According to tradition, by mid October, we're facing forward, facing facts and working out that we have craft supplies to buy.  The early cries of 'it's too soon' are dwindling and the wholesalers who released their stuff in trickles starting at the end of August (now that IS too soon) are the ones who capture our first spends.  Then of course, real crafters start producing lovely stuff that we lesser mortals want to copy and so the seasonal trend kicks in.  That's how it normally goes.  This year, we've all decided to use our existing stash and try not to buy anything.  So the predicted October spike was more a slight poke than sharp stab.  But, move on another month, deepen the panic amongst those of us waiting for a deal of inspiration and the spike arrives.  Indeed, it comes as a brutal slap in the face to both Shopkeeper and Customer. But why?
I get the obvious - trying to use exisitng stash is laudable and frankly, sensible. I get too that there is a sensibility in doing so, after all, how many stamps or papers can one have that can only be used one a year.  (Don't answer that.)
Here, for what it's worth is my theory:  we've held back because we truly wanted to be using stash and attempting some good thrift.  But time always seems to be against us and being blasted with fabulous card and gift ideas on the internet and in magazines turns us into the consumers 'they' want us to be.  There's nothing like a new stamp to inspire me, so I'm guessing it may be the same for loads of us. Or new paper, or new whatever..these days, even a ball of yarn has me wishing for a project.  
I think we held back from a sense of financial duty..and it was only holding back, lets not kid ourselves.  It's a collective conscience. I hope. Go through this article and replace 'we' with'I' and 'you' with 'me'....you get it, the confession is right there.  
Have a nice weekend!

16 comments:

Judys Lace Creations said...

Oh gosh Julia..all this is just tooo alarmingly familiar.I haven't even started on the card making yet.I have all those new papers, a couple of new stamps...you get the picture! hehe.Hope you get done what you want to.
Judy

misteejay said...

I have tried to be good this year but on my part that has meant keeping most of my bigger purchases to sale & bargain events (so I don't feel so guilty).
Yesterday was the start of the 30% discount weekend for members of the loyalty scheme at my local craft store - it was also my birthday so I had a wonderful 'guilt-free' spend up...and surprisingly, there wasn't any Christmas stash amongst it (probably because I bought loads of that at the last 30% weekend LOL).

Toni xx

Helen said...

I always say I don't need any new Christmas themed stamps, because I have gazillions of them... that I haven't used for years..(can't get rid of them, don't go there!) but then I see the new designs coming out.. and my non existent will power vanishes. However, I did mostly (mostly!) use old stamps this year - or at least ones I hadn't bought specially. I did get some new ones, of course, because.... you have to, right! But as I smugly sit here with my cards all made, waiting to be written (am I the only one who hates that part?!) I want to play.. so have some more new stamps now!! There is no hope for me....

Belinda Basson said...

I am so with Helen on the hating of writing inside...Think I will do one, scan it and print it out to stick inside...at least it will be my own handwriting...cop out, but they will hopefully get in the post in time! My store has had not spike, just the usual spend...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to laugh at the basket of Christmas stamps. You certainly don't need any more. I could make a TON of things with those stamps, if only I were a "real" stamper.

One thought that came to mind for me is I don't like stamps I have to stick on a plexiglass plate. I really LIKE stamps that are wood mounted. Of course, I don't intend to buy anything this year, hoping to get rid of some of this stash, just in case I have a meltdown in my basement again. Good luck with your desire to keep costs low this year.

CraftygasheadZo said...

Ha ha you are so right, but I can say I haven't bought anything new this year. First time ever!! I have so much and it's outgrowing my room so I need to stop adding and start using!! Take care Zo xx

shazsilverwolf said...

Love the basket of stamps- if only! I have two A4 binders of unmounted, a a huge Really Useful box of woodmounts! By huge, I mean the 18 litre box. And thats despite giving a mass of them to my DIL, when I had my sort out last year. I swear, I could make a different card for everyone I know for the next ten years and not repeat a stamp. and I still bought 4 new stamps for this year, (only used two of them), after I had sworn I was not buying any more Christmas stamps.Maybe I'll use the other two next year- but I'm not holding my breath. I know I will see something else too fabulous to ignore.Oh well, if we didn't spend it on craft stuff, we'd only waste the money, lol. Hugs, Shaz xx

Claire Grantham said...

I hear you loud and clear Julia..This year I did a good thing and used all existing Christmas supplies for my Charity makes. I bought myself x2 new stamps for my own personal cards..thrifty-ness was needed this year..but I still needed to be inspired by new kit to make my own cards. To be fair the x2 new stamps are being used to make Thanksgiving gifts too! Oh and here is a link to my bow that you wanted to see. http://hamnmuledesigns.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-final-bow.html Clairex

Gerrina said...

Ha, Ha, I did the same, except I really not only hold back on the amount, I bought two Christmas stamps and more others this year! So mayby next year it is totally gonna work to buy nothing for the christmas cards... Inky greetings, Gerrina

fairy thoughts said...

Haha you are so right the using side is definately slower this year it's stRting to pick up now but no bonus this month. The only thing I have brought was magazines with free stamps and papers am addicted to those but have I read them or made anything from them..... No of course not. But there's time I'm busy using up my Christmas snippets first
Janet

jill said...

Julia, I've tried so hard not buying much this year craft wise because i wanted & needed to get some of my stash used up. Also money been a bit tight so thats not helped matters.
Jill

Monica said...

I am starting with all the boxes of bought cards that were not used and send those to who ever and the folks not into handmade. Then make tags and send off to folks who appreciate quirky humor and junky looking card like things. I never buy Christmas anything stamps.

Dianne said...

Hello my dear Miss Julia, that,s a lovely bunch of stamps there, I only used what I have, it was a unused stamp which I got at a garage sale, I actually though I was ahead of the game this year, that's not working to well, maybe next year I'll make one a week, wouldn't that be grand lol..Good luck what ever you choose..

Sharon Madson said...

I try to use stash only! Haha. I have so many Christmas stamps and so much paper and embellishments, that like you said can only be used once a year. I am good until they start putting it on sale or clearance, then I break down! So that is why I have so much! It is nice to know we are all in the same boat. :)

Darnell said...

It's definitely a universal problem, trying not to buy anything new in a constantly evolving hobby! Fuggetaboutit.

You could spread the word about the NBUS movement I started this year in my quest to motivate me to use that "never-before-used schtuff." All schtuff, not just Christmas. It really has helped me and others have picked it up. I still have way too many Christmas stamps, however, and I might have bought some new ones, shamefully. I'm especially naughty as the majority of my peeps get a family photo card, so I no longer make nearly a hunnert homemade cards like I used to do.

Ah, well. I guess that's why we call this pastime an addiction!! And just think how we are helping our economies!

Another fun post! Hugs, Darnell

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I always wait until late to start my cards in the hope that Christmas will be cancelled this year. A girl can dream! That doesn't stop me from buying stash on the off chance it doesn't get cancelled. But I didn't this year. I bought a paper pad specifically to teach a class and an impulse Stampin Up set... oh, make that two now that I think of it.