Friday 8 November 2013

The quickest retreats are the best....

..that's a life tip - if you've gotta run away, make it a really fast run!  And also, if you want to go away with your girlfriends and plan for two nights, Friday to Sunday, take my advice..try to plan in the whole of Friday or maybe make it 3 nights.  As a retreat - it went so fast!
There were 9 of us.  And we've known each other for years. But there's always something to learn isn't there -  I laughed and laughed at revelations that aren't secrets so much as strange little foibles.  I have to admit to never having seen the Slipper Lady so much as wink nervously whenever anyone says the word 'belly'..but apparently, it sets her teeth on edge.  The Baby Mumma (and a lot of others I suspect) has a mental face pulling moment if you use the 'moist' in your sentence.  You can imagine where the conversation went after that.  I can't reveal any that do that to me...I was laughing too much to think!  I laughed until I cried at the spontaneous outbreak of competition over a game of Articulate at midnight on Saturday.  Really, some of my lovely good natured friends became edge-of-their-seats-win-at-any-price competitive.  I smiled smugly to myself over my sensible decision (and I still don't regret it) to pass on the idea of a soak in the hot tub at 7.30 on Saturday evening.  Pitch black, force 9 gales.  Yep, most of them did.  I did the drinks run, tried to work out the control panel and then retreated into the warm.  And made a layout instead.  Talking of which - yep it was a crafting retreat.
We had  room for 9 scrappers..and we used the room.  This was just after breakfast on Saturday.  Which is why it was tidy.  We drifted to it eventually, and made a lovely spready mess! Ironically, we ate in the lounge, using our knees as tables so as to avoid the heinous clearing up thing.  That of course, is when we ate meals.  There was a lot..a LOT of chocolate,  and cheese and biscuit type snacking going on.  And after five o'clock..well, there was a fridge full of wine.  And why not.  So, a full two days to make stuff and do some crochet work and plan some Christmas gifts and visit with friends....not long enough gentle reader.  If you've been to a WOYWW crop, you'll know exactly what I mean.  I managed 12 granny squares and five LOs.  Not exactly prolific.  Totally worth it.  
My sweet darling sister and my  dear Papa...role model.. oneto the other, or to me?  You choose..

16 comments:

Helen said...

Sounds a riotous weekend... now, a 3 day WOYWW crop, there's an idea... Have a fabulous weekend - bet it won't quite live up to the last one!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I can just imagine what a wonderful time you had Julia. We have our DIY retreat near Hereford, from 4pm Friday to 11am Monday. Giving us two full days, which is perfect. I can't tell you how fantastic it is to be away from my Mummy duties for that weekend!

Nan G said...

Sounds like y'all had a tipsy good time. :) Hugs

Eliza said...

You all had a wonderful time, of course alcohol was involved and it should be, as well as the chocolate. Getting work or scrapping creative things done is only a bonus it is about getting together and having a giggle.

Hugs Eliza

Thanks for sharing your retreat

Glenda said...

That sounds like my kind of get together! So glad you had a good time!

PeeJay said...

I've been doing this for 5 years with a group of friends. It started as a 3 night weekend, quickly (the following year) progressed to 4 and next year we're making it a week! Numbers have ranged from 17 down to 9 over the years but we've settled at around 11. We have a therapist come in for massages but next year we're adding facials, manicures etc so it's a proper girly pamper, kick back time. Great fun :) So glad you've had a good time as well and wonder how long yours will stay at just 2 nights - lol!

Deanna said...

Sounds wonderful! It's been entirely too long since I've had a getaway like that!

Hettie said...

Awwww! It has been a while since I went to a retreat - need one now! Glad you had a good time.
Hugs
x

CraftygasheadZo said...

Sounds fab! I reckon we should do a WOYWW 2 day thing, that would be mad with us lot!! Take care Zo xx

Krisha said...

I love gatherings like this. Sounds like so much fun. Glad you had a really good time.
That kind of laughing usually makes my face and stomach hurt for a couple of days.

fairy thoughts said...

hi julia now i have retreat envy, love time like this what more could you want.... maybe you d better not answer that.
glad you had a good time... one quesztion why was wine only after 5.
ps great laayout
janet

Mary said...

What fun! I would suspect on Wednesday, we will see you resting your head on your desk, dreaming of the retreat and crop. See you Wednesday. If you are napping should we turn the light out and slip away quietly?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never been to a retreat, nor have I ever had that many friends who liked the same things I like (art wise), so this sounds like a real getaway for you and the rest of the gals. I'm thrilled you had a good time, too. Bet you were sore from all that laughing, too.

Twiglet said...

Sounds like the perfect break to me! Wine, laughter and chocolate with a dollop of crafting for good measure. x Jo

Dianne said...

Oh man, that sounded FABULOUSSSS, we don't even have any workshops near me. I went to a few when in England, life is so different here anyway, I loooooved reading the post, can't get the smile off my face, thanks my dear Miss Julia, oh and I'm loving the new blog look..

Debs Willis said...

Sounds like Crafters Heaven! So glad you had a fun time, and stayed warm and now moist lol!!

Hugs

debs x