Monday 18 July 2011

How is Monday for you then?

Yeah - thought so - so I put up some flowers for you. Painted with H20s which have to be amongst the prettiest and easiest to slosh about paints, donchafink?
Monday will improve considerably for me when it gives way to Tuesday. I don't know why, but today I did not wake up with that sense of renewal, fresh week, clean slate that Mondays apparently prompt in the great and the good. (Yep, I've been torturing myself again - browsing celebrity blogs). I don't have any particular routines for any given day really (although Monday does require some tidying after a weekend at home...and some laundry..oh and some shopping...), and I most certainly don't make a fresh to do list on a Monday...lordy, it would drain any pleasure of anticipating my week. I'm not without routine though - in fact I often wonder how the flexible and spontaneous amongst us actually get anything done - I do like to achieve something tangible by the day's end. Not least because then I can reward myself with time at my crafty desk or a morning out with Jan...you know what I mean, the trade off that the protestant work ethic requires to assuage the old guilt. But even that's in the eye of the beholder isn't it. Take yesterday - I watched golf with Mr Dunnit, and apart from basic housework and cookery, did very little. But my daughter was delighted with my achievement - by bedtime I had actually read the first three chapters of a book that she recommended to me. She's sweet. She wants me to read it because she thinks it's one of the best things she's ever read. She wants to be able to chat about it and be a bit book clubby about its meaning and potential. And I, 30 years her senior, am already fed up with the main character, he's too damn young - and for a prodigy, being really stoopid. I haven't told her. I don't want my small Sunday achievement to end up a disappointment! Monday's achievement will be altogether better - self driven if entirely full of motivation, I seem to have done quite a lot. I'm sure if the rain rain (would) go away, I could be springy and enthusiastic about the office backlog I've been tackling and changing the sheets. Hmmm. Ah well. Today's achievement will be a roast for supper. How can that not feel like a reward for a day of work. Factor in a G&T. Go ahead, have the flowers, I know what I want now.

22 comments:

Annie said...

It's been a really brilliant Funday Monday over here at the mad house Julia. We have had a workshop making dresses for Africa like the one Twiglet had on her blog. It's been an afternoon of fun, giggles, music, coffee and of course chocolate....just wish you lived closer :-)
Hugs,
A x
ps I will prob blog some of it tomorrow :-)

Angie said...

I developed a cold so I didn't do a lot ...well thats my excuse ...but I have chilled as the boys are out and the house is so quiet.
Those flowers are to die for ....LOVE them ... must look into that paint ...no I must not ...no money lol xx

Kath Stewart said...

hi julia...you're allowed to have a monday doing your own thing kind of a day...and the roastie dinner sounds divine...big hugs kath xxx

Ann B said...

Thans for the flowers Julia, look a lot better than the real, rain-soaked blooms in my garden today.
Intrigued about the book now - are you going to tell us what is it?

The Crafty Elf said...

Well, you've just given me another thing(s) to add to want list - H2Os. Your flowers are lovely Julia, gorgeous actually! I was laughing while reading your post and it seems we all must feel the same way about our days of chores, cooking(roast sounds yummy),shopping, and all the other stuff of course.
What we do for our children eh? It's a true labour of love Julia! I've not been asked to read a book yet but I'm sure that day may come.

Helen said...

Your flowers are gorgeous - love the scripty background too - a wonderful card.
I hope your day was fulfilled - I don't like mondays - but if the working week started on tuesdays I wouldn't like them either! I am intrigued to know what the book is you are reading, do tell!! Oh, and I didn't watch the womens world cup final, no - top gear was on!

nicandalfie said...

lovely flowers, Mondays are always Blah!! what is the book i am very curious!

Sue said...

Hi hun
i think we should bin mondays n start the week on tuesday, sounds so much better! lol, gorgeous card, luv the shimmer you get with twinks. Fab post did laugh about the book club! sue,x

okienurse said...

Beautiful blue flowers. Matches my blue Monday feelings! I didn't do much I wanted to do this weekend due to health issues and I am 'blue' but not sparkling. I love the old Twinkling H2O but my favorite store has started carrying the Luminart revamp and I am not as happy with those. Thanks for sharing and I think I will make a roast also! Vickie

misteejay said...

The flowers are beautiful Julia TFS as it's been a bit of a grotty Monday here.

Toni xx

Sarah said...

Oh Julia - I'm skiving off mid-post from a Less is More and was just rambling on about the "closet girly" in all of us. Jump over here and lo and behold - flowers by your fair hand. They look just fabulous and some of your fave colours too or not? My Monday is an inbetweener too...my only recognisable milestones each week seem to be producing a DT piece without self-destructing, WOYWW and legging my dishevelled butt around the Aldi for a restock. Yep, that gets me from Mon-Sun...if we're still bothering with the day names...

Chrissie said...

Hi Julia, it's ages since I popped by... commenting on Less is More is satisfying but also incredibly time-consuming and leaves me little time for visiting my favourite 'stamping grounds'.
I love this frilly flower stamp (although I don't possess it) and I love the colours you have twinkled them with... in fact the whole card is pretty fab!
Maybe we should arrange to bump into each other again soon, it would be fun!
Chrissie

jodpea said...

I love Mondays, its a bit like that deadline quote from Douglas Adams "I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by", Mondays go SO fast! Maybe if you tell us the title of the book one of us will have read it and can save you the trouble?! What are friends for, lol

Simple homemade living said...

I like mondays too. I think it's great that J wants you to read the same books as her so you can discuss them what a wonderful thing to do.

My only question for you is how did you watch the golf without going to sleep??

angelfish said...

Beautiful flowers Julia, thanks for thinking of us!
Monday is usually a clear up the weekend mess sorta day around here, but it turned into a fill in and deliver a job application day instead!

Glenda said...

Thanks for the flowers! They have brightened my day. Love the H2O's!

Jingle said...

Those flowers look SO pretty!!!!

Dragon said...

Hi... my Monday was fine, it's my Tuesday that's gone completely pear-shaped!!! Mum os getting ever more less able to cope and rings me over the same thing time and time again within a few minutes... then my daughter has had a big set-back at work today, and is devastated with the outcome, which IS huge... so I am off to do a bitty crafting, which I hope will take my mind off all the stuff above and below me in the succession of life!!! Thanks for your lovely blog!!!
Frankie
xx
xx

The Crafty Elf said...

Julia...I have something to share with you please check it out when you have a minute. ;D


http://thecraftyelfworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/07/ive-received-blog-award.html#links

Spyder said...

wet.... Monday and today...wet... flowers are good, if you jumble the words they make, wolfers (I've used that on a blog title once...no one noticed how clever I was being!) and then there's fowler's and reflows...*sigh* ah sorry, we have chocolate and I'm trying my best not to go and eat it all! Jingles Gnome is cute, isn't it!

JoZart Designs said...

FAB-U -LOUS flowers made a beaut card!
love JoZArty x

RosA said...

Love that flower stamp. (Wonder what it is?) Love the colours you have used. Love the H2Os always!