Thursday 23 May 2019

Take some advice....apparently I don’t need it...

I went to a workshop at Kraft Crazy about three weeks ago, and made 4 cards that I will happily use and repeat. I even bought some of the lovely Spectrum Noir Sparkle paints. I don’t mind telling you that as a person who conducts the odd workshop, I find being an attendee can be a bit nerve wracking. You kinda feel that you should remember every top tip you’ve ever given anyone as well as retaining every last word of the instructions given in the ‘run through’. 

Well let me tell you, there were a lot of solemn warnings in the run through on this particular workshop. Angie (conducting) and Shopkeeper Gal (host) were in total accord about the potential mess one could make with the paints. Mostly because of course, finger prints make a card look really home made (and we’re all striving at least for extremely well hand made). Then there was the warning that Sparkle paint doesn’t come off the skin too easily. According to Leonie off the telly and Shaz from WOYWW, Imperial Leather soap is the best remover. There were even some erm, surgical type gloves provided. But we attendees felt that gloves were unnecessary, after all, we were all relatively experienced, and we all bragged that we were crafting on the edge because none of us had any of that particular soap to rescue us.

Well, of course, I followed all the tips. I swirled the bottles to get a good mix. I didn’t turn them upside down and shake them like crackers. I swirled until the ball bearing was gliding quietly. Then I carefully placed the bottle and opened it up. Oh beautiful, glorious strong colours full of pearly shine. Love. I used teeny amounts as necessary, kept the paint on the brush, not the finial. Didn’t dribble any. And yet........
I swirled and clearly failed to notice a dribble from the lid, or a loose lid or something designed to catch me out. I only realised that my finger was wet when I wiped it across my cheek. Oh for heavens sake! You learn a lot about a friend when this sort of thing happens. Some rush to help. Some laugh whilst rushing to help. Some laugh so hard that they are incapable. And others grab their phones for pictures whilst laughing so hard they can’t breathe. I don’t know, all those warnings. I didn’t try wiping it off at the workshop - I was worried that it would make it worse. We talked about using gritty facial cleansers and I had visions of a very sore cheek on the non wonky side. How unjust. 
I did something else out of character that evening too....I called in at the chip shop on the way home. Two people serving and one other waiting. No one blinked or commented. When I went to bed I washed my face with my daily facial cleanser and fortunately, it came off. But it was a few of days before my more heavily stained fingers and nails were completely clean. Apparently this wasn’t traumatic enough an experience though, I’ve been shopping at least twice since and forgotten to pick up the Imperial Leather for next time. As there will surely be!


18 comments:

Shoshi said...

Oh Julia, what a hilarious post! Your picture says it all! Loved your description of the various responses to your mishap. I'm not sure what category I'd have fallen into... The paints sound a lot of fun, if rather messy! Love the card.

Shoshi

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, I'm sorry to say I'd definitely fall into one of the last 3 categories. I always do when Doug provides some sort of reason for it.In fact, one time, meaning it to be a complement about how he could be amusing at times, I turned to him and said 'I only have to look at you and I laugh', which wasn't how I'd intended it to come out!Also amused that no-one commented on your war paint in the chippy! Love & hugs, Shaz XxX

Sue said...

Oh Julia, I nearly spat coffee on my monitor:) LOL So glad it came off your face. Mind you had it stained I'm sure you could have come up with something to add to it, to make it living art;)

Hope you have a nice relaxing evening. Sue

Helen said...

sorry, but I would be the one rolling around laughing (after taking pics of course...) too.. sorry. I find my Ranger craft scrubby gets most things off - not tried it on my cheeks of course, I'd never do something so daft (ahem) I'll bring it to crop and we can experiment......

Caro said...

Sorry - I did laugh aloud at your description and the look on your face! I would be another one laughing first, then providing a tissue. Can't wait to see you at the crop. xx

Heather M said...

Hi Julia, I'd like to think I would be the one rushing to your aid - but most likely I'd be grabbing the camera and trying to get a photo of your misfortune as I laughed uncontrollably! Card looks great, hugs Heather xx

Liz said...

Your post really made me chuckle. If I'd been there, I'd be one of the ones crying with laughter as I reached for my camera! Love your card. xx

My name is Cindy said...

Love that pic LOL!! Reminds me I was running a workshop using some of the starlight paints - gloves and warnings issued. An apron was worn. I was the only one who managed to wipe a big yellow splodge down my black trousers. Ah well, getting messy is half the fun....

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I feel for you, dear Julia. I also applaud you for sharing this. You are ONE BRAVE woman.

Anne said...

So funny - sorry lol! I would have been laughing, then trying to help! It is just the sort of thing that I would do! X

Christine said...

Oh! Julia! Love you so much!! I can empathise, sympathise and laugh uncontrollably. ....most of all, I agree with Bleubeard and Elizabeth....you are one brave woman...

Kyla said...

oh sorry I did laugh out loud!! We have all been there but I am shocked no one said anything!!!
kyla
ps - had to laugh at the "I am not a robot" verify piccies it said to tick images with cars-I did, it didn't agree as I was not ticking the image with a white van!! Yes, I was shouting at the computer things like "oh shall we ask the insurance company if a van is the same as a car shall we..."!! .....breathe

Twiglet said...

Oh Julia - what a snap! Loved your comment about who dashes to help - I am sure I would be there first - er and maybe mop you up with a bit of spit on my hanky - no? Oh well I would just giggle with the rest then. See you soon!! xx Jo

Kathryn Frantz said...

Love it! Been there, done that! I have a laughing πŸ˜‚ picture taking friend like that! Don’t know what category I’d fall into. We’ll see when the opportunity presents itself. (although I do think I have a skewed sense of humor)

Kristi said...

I would have laughed as I tried coming to your rescue! At least you chose a pretty bright color to swipe on your cheek and not something unbecoming! Thanks for the giggle.

Annie said...

I’m with Jo....it would be spit on my hanky and no complaining from you πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ but I’d laugh and laugh while I’m doing it.
Hugs,
Annie x

Neet said...

Oh Julia, how I laughed at your photograph. Brave woman to walk out AND visit the chippy with the war paint on. Loved the post, laughed all the way through it. Wonder how much Imperial Leather soap you will get next weekend.
Hugs, Neet xx

StampinCarol said...

Oh my gosh! Thanks for the great laugh! I'm glad it came off your cheek but thinking how one would try to explain that to a non-crafter does bring giggles again.