Friday 20 April 2018

Use it and create scraps.

It's a real conundrum isn't it. You use a couple of sheets of 12 x12 to make a nice scrapbook layout, but you're left with a sizeable piece of 'scrap'. The more you do, the more you generate. Ack. I don't have a rule about minimum sizes to keep. Although having said that, I suppose I do, actually. If it's plain cardstock, unless it's tiny, I do keep it. Stamp a sentiment on it, test a pen, test a sponge effect..pieces of card are useful for that sort of thing. If it's scrapbook paper, it has to be a least the size of a card blank before I give it room in the scraps box. Because I have to be able to use it for something, and any less a size doesn't give me 'cut it and try it' room.

I made these cards for a workshop, and they are made from scraps. And what's more, I intend to make the kits up from scraps too, it would I feel be a shame to have to break into fresh scrapbook papers to make them. Of course the card bases and mounts aren't scraps, but that's OK, am much more interested in using and encouraging the use of patterned scraps because they build up so fast!
It's not artistic photography gentle reader, just unedited shots of the card leaning against the notebook that I use to list 'ingredients' so that I can kit properly.  (Mind you, that's no guarantee.)
I don't know if you can see, but this card not only uses up old scrapbook paper, it features some coloured wire as well. Gracious, there's an embellishment I don't use often anymore. I did, when it was 'on trend'!
I'm happy with these. Unlike the scrapbook embellishments that I get to keep. this time I've got a handful less stash and scrap but some nice cards to send when an occasion calls. 

5 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Really clever cards Julia, and curiously even though not keen on orange I love the last one.. well done!!
Shaz in Oz.x


{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Colored wire. Something I haven't thought about in awhile. I am very impressed with your ingenuity, and, since I'm the recycle queen, I am thrilled you chose to use up scraps, too. I LOVE the ties.

Beverley Baird said...

Beautiful cards! Love your post - with Earth Day around the corner, wonderful way to use scraps.

Sue said...

Hi Julia, Loving both cards. Great use of your oddments.

Hope you have had a fab Friday and you have a nice weekend. Sue

Helen said...

I love the cards! don't talk about scraps... my scraps tend to be ridiculously tiny... not sure why I don't just bin most of them!