Sunday 7 May 2017

The Favourite Technique

There's a Blog hop going on to celebrate National Scrapbook Day and you've arrived at the 9th blog in a string of 11. Each of us are hoping to inspire you and show you our favourite technique by showcasing it on a LO.

If you are following the Blog hop, you should have arrived here from Gemma's place
(thesteelenook.blogpost.co.uk). To be in with a chance of winning the Blog Hop prize you will need to comment on this post and on all the other blogs in the Hop.
Now rest your weary hopping limbs a minute while I explain my favourite technique. It may come across as a cheat to you, but it appears on every single one of my LOs in a staggering variety and it's only thanks to this Blog Hop that I've even noticed that it's a technique. Or...question of the day...is it a format?


It's a single photo and paper. Layers of it, to be precise. Before I can do anything else to a LO, it appears that the photo must matted and placed on any number of colour contrasting layers. If you visit my blog ever again, you'll see it, almost monotonously, it really has been a bit of a revelation for me!
I know it's not rocket science, and I certainly won't hold you up on this Hop as there's no need to make notes or check out another new-to-you product. This is the least technical thing - just add more paper. Scrunch it, smooth it, distress the edges, just add more and make it show!
Once you've finished here, staggered by the majesty of my creativity, leave a suitable rude comment,  and hop on over to Julie's place - jsquaredscrapspot.wordpress.com
If you lose your way or fancy meandering through from the beginning, start here at lovely Fiona's blog: fiona-staringatthesea.blogspot.co.uk. If you're familiar with my blog, or indeed a Desker, you will recognise Fiona immediately!
When you have completed the Hop, return to the Blog Hop thread on Facebook at For The Love of Pretty Paper and leave a comment to let us know that you've been all the way around the Hop. Visitors who leave the same comment (or a comment deemed to be the same by the Organisers) will not be eligible for the prize. The closing date for Blog Hop entries is Monday May 8th at 10pm. The prize can only be posted to a UK address. Good Luck!

41 comments:

Helen said...

Great layout Julia!

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

Your post made me giggle! Still a good technique/format though.

Bethany-Joanna said...

I do exactly the same. I can't help myself 😂

Lulu said...

Matting photos helps them pop off the page, I do it all the time too! Love your page xx

Unknown said...

I do this all the time, it helps get more use out of 6x6" papers too :)

Unknown said...

I think matting is a must on some layouts, great technique and blog

Unknown said...

Great technique, I'll give it a go soon thanks for sharing.

Annie Claxton said...

hehehe gave me a giggle and I totally do the same - it is the law that you have to start with a stack of gorgeous papers under your photo. In fact, I've started stapling my stack together before it goes on the background! Love your page, the big banner shape is fun and I love the felt hearts :)

beverleyb said...

I tend to matt most of my photos too,

Claire Louise said...

Haha you know me....i don't need any excuse to use more paper. Still to this day it's my most favourite and most utilised tool so I'm totally with you on this one. Lovely layout as always. Hope you're enjoying NSD xx

Sally said...

Great post and layout.

MiniOwner said...

Thank you for the smile and a super page, too. :)
Susan x

amnse said...

Such a simple "technique really -but effective. Can never use too much paper on a page!

Tanya said...

Great technique to use the huge stash of patterned paper and an excuse to buy more 😊

AndreaH said...

This made me laugh out loud. Thankyou for making my day a happy day. Love your LO. See I'm learning stuff and having a great time on the (long) blog lol.x.

Lis' Garden in Liverpool said...

Love it! I find it hard to only use one photo (have done a few this weekend from lifts and I always want to add a photo!) so I admire your single mindedness ;-)

My not so simple life said...

Lol, love your post, and your layout :)

Michelle said...

Wondererful technique use do much paper that you have to buy even more lol xx

Dneez said...

Great post and layout, made me giggle. I always matt and layer photos, it just doesn't seem right to lay them flat on the sheet. :)

furrypig said...

Layering is definitely a technique and there is also a real skill to doing it well.... Obviously mastered by your good self xxx

Ramblingsofgeo said...

Love the layout... i couldnt possibly be rude!

glitterandglue said...

Hi Julia. Now a girl can never have too much paper to play with, can we? Great use of lots!! Well done.
Take care. God bless.
Thanks for your visit.
Margaret from WOYWW

Sue said...

That's a fab LO Julia. Hope you are enjoying the blog hop. Sue

sarahscraps said...

I never thought of scrunching the paper!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Ah, you do make me smile Julia! What a great selection of techniques and inspiration we've shared between us all.

Ruth said...

Great layout and your post made me smile. I always have to mat photos too!

BJ said...

OK so I sort of started here as I was catching up on my WOYWW replies as I've been poorly all week. I read about your technique then decided to do the blog hop "properly" so yes I am now at number 9. Love your photo layers. BJ

Niki Rowland said...

I too always layer my photo onto several layers of card or paper! Great technique and lovely layout xx

Rita T said...

Love the humour in your post. I have learnt that sometimes simple is better. So, matting photos is a great technique to be reminded of.

Scrap8ooker said...

Layering, scrunching & matting. It's difficult to see a 'naked' photo placed on a page as I did in the early days. Enjoyed looking at your blog & layout thanks!

Alison said...

Lovely layout! I tend to do the same on all my layouts!

Jess said...

It may be simple but matting is very important in helping your photos stand out, after all they are the stars if the show! X

Kirsty said...

I usually matt photos, just seems to highlight them more.

Kerry said...

I think matting and layering the photo is a must and I take ages getting it 'right'. Couldnt imagine not doing it. X

Choka said...

If I don't mat the photos I have to ink the edges - so they look like they have a thin mat, lol

Margot/NZ said...

Love your post and especially your phrase "the majesty of my creativity" which I plan to steal to use at some later date!

Natalie Weller said...

I love matting photos too!

Antonia said...

I definitely don't have any problems whatsoever with a bunch of pretty paper showcased on a layout. And it's even better if the background is a full 12"x12" patterned paper, too. So it's thumbs up from me for this technique!

susibee said...

Lol! Great page ☺️

Amanda said...

'Add more paper' is wise advice, how else will we get through it all?

justgowiththeflow said...

I love how you've overlapped the photos. I like making layouts where the photo takes up most of the page, so I love the one you've made!