Friday 27 January 2017

Sometimes, you just cant tell

Honestly, I spent a happy four hours at my desk last weekend, and came up with one card. I was trying too hard, to keep it at to reproduce but somehow amazingly different as well. I started as I always do with white card. I was going to do a grey ink base image and a really colourful window image with a darker outline to accentuate the detail. And of course, I go straight to a pre-folded card because I now it's an idea that will work first time.
Grim. Too white, too small, not enough detail. Hmmm, start again. It's Ok though, because the painty part is very soothing. So I graduated to black card, for the sake of the paints really, H2Os and Perfect pearls, all look better on dark card, I think.
 So I decided to change the shape of the painted area as well, and make these little windows. They looked ridiculous cut out and stuck on top of the much large whole pattern, so then I thought to use the cut out piece as a stencil. Cue more embossing, painting and at this stage, some cursing. Why on earth couldn't I get it to go right?
You can just see above where the stripes were. I painted the whole image after I realised that the stripes were ridiculous!
So then I cut into another sheet of black card, embossed another whole image and cut a scalloped oval from another piece of scrap. I painted through that. By now, the light was fading and I'm using one eye to see properly, and controlling the almost imperceptible tremor in my right hand by using the most ridiculously fine paintbrush. I wasn't unimpressed with the idea, but the execution was sloppy. Nice photo of the shine on the paints though!

So I lay in bed that night, thinking about the options I've already explored, and the starting point. And decided to go back to that starting point. Cut out a die shape to create a coloured window to stick on top of the bigger, whole uncoloured image. And I did. It's OK, but for four hours? Two things come from it. I had a nice time. And keep it simple. Although I still think it's a little lacking. Maybe its the wrong image? Spare me.

16 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Julia, I love the darker card ones. Hope you can get it just how you want it.

Have a fab Friday. Sue

Anonymous said...

I love these - and, yes, that is 4 hours of your precious time and energy - BUT you created some gorgeous designs. Ali x

Krisha said...

Oh my, I have quit counting the times I have done the same thing! *gin*
It did turn out beautifully Julia.

trisha too said...

Hwy, as long as you were enjoying it, that's what really counts in the long run. It's the process, not the product, right? But I think ypur "product" looks super!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have just validated my reason for NOT making cards. At least YOU have fun in the process. When I create something like this, I get too frustrated and want to throw it across the room. You obviously have the patience of Job.

RosA said...

Hi Julia, you simply can't rush perfection!
Really, they look great, especially the colouring on the black. It is a long time to spend on a card and I've done exactly the same thing and ended up with something I was only half way happy with! So, if you had fun it wasn't a waste of time.

misteejay said...

Some time spent crafting can never be a waste and you have some pretty pieces as a result.
Have a super weekend.
Toni xx

Jean said...

I loved reading this. Love the dark cards!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Ultimately as long as you had fun, who cares if great things came out of your play session or not. You definitely learned some things. And you are not alone in long sessions that just don't come out like you thought. I like the shimmery paint on the dark cardstock. That's definitely a winner.

Cardarian said...

I love the outcome of your efforts but I understand the frustration! I am not one to give up easily too and I find satisfaction in finally getting it right!So well done my dear you have nailed it!!!:-)
Lots of hugs,
Cardarian

shazsilverwolf said...

Love the dark card, but then it's black, which makes everything right in my world. I do sympathise, though, nothing worse than seeing something in your head that will just not work in reality. But you got some relaxing time, which is good. Hugs, Shaz XxX

Helen said...

Totally see where you are coming from, but I give up much earlier on in the process and do something completely different. Adore the colours on the black card, they look pretty fab to me

505whimsygirl said...

Oh Julia,

I enjoyed reading your thought process and the decisions you made. Your cards all look great, although they weren't what you first intended.

I like the "Keep it simple" idea!

Hugs,
Kay

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Oh Julia, I so get it... am so like that in my card making that's why I end up with so many snippets.

I actually love the final result and think absolutely nothing is lacking love gold embossing on black card and those colours are perfect.

Sending hugs and prayers for the trooper in you that keeps on keeping on in spite of impediments. 😄
Doing my WOYWW 400 post, warm sunny and dreally hottish here.
Thanks for sharing your inspiration,
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Nikki said...

Loved reading about your card process and as long as your having fun that's all that matters you could always add in a little sentiment banner that is stapled on one edge so you can left it to see the full flowers underneath the last one on the black looks fab hugs Nikki

Lynn Holland said...

The end result was definitely worth the effort. I spend more time fiffing and faffing than actually doing the technical bits of creating
Lynn x