Saturday 1 March 2014

Wake up and smell the rununculus...

If you ask me, flowers are an absolute staple for card makers, stampers particularly.  No matter how many I own, I can always make room for more flower stamps.  And I have.... whilst making samples for the workshop at Japonica. Which is now, rather alarmingly) at the end of this month!  
We settled on using the Stampendous Clear set, Ranunculus. 
And somewhere in our conversations, we talked about using Brilliance ink pads.  For me, this was an invitation to dust mine off, I haven't used them for ages.  Of course, I'd forgotten how much I like them.
So I've been making cards featuring these tight bud flowers. And initially, they caused me problems....and the mojo was being very stubborn. But I've managed a few..and had fun with the fact that I HAD to make time at my desk to do them.  I've had less fun trying to re-do them so that I can 'judge' how long they'll take, but that's a whole other story about not putting stuff away and trying to rely on a memory that is, apparently, shot. 

Modern and mono - I water coloured them with Brilliance Lightening Black.
Now remember, I'm not an artist, so when I say water coloured, I mean that I squished the ink pad onto a non porous surface (for me, that's my glass cutting mat) and spritzed it with water.  Then I use any old paintbrush to pick the colour up and paint as inside the lines as I can.
Done the same way, this time the flower heads were embossed...and I went to the trouble of a bit of decoupage too.   Quite a plain card, but not awful.
This 8 x 8 card is a challenge too far for me...I'm happy to scrapbook on 8 x 8, but a card? Ulp! So to avoid the arty 'clump in the corner with lots of white space' I've gone for a spring time wreath.  Same method..stamp and emboss flowers, watercolour with mixed Brilliance inks and then cut out.  Layer onto white mulberry paper, the edges of which I stained with leftover 'water colour' ink.
Big, innit.  
And then I retreated to type and comfort zone.  These are stamped in Black versafine and coloured with pencils.  So, so much safer!  I mounted the page onto the purple-ish card stock and then put them in a cuttlebug embossing folder. 

So if you're coming to Japonica, prepare to have inky fingers.  If you're coming to the Card marathon, prepare to use this stamp set...now I've started, the old mojo is finally awake and smelling the flowers!

31 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Hi Julia, I have this set but have struggled to use it for more than just beautiful backgrounds. Thanks for lots of fabulous inspiration, I'm of to dig it out again and get stamping, Jo x

Claudia N. said...

Ranunculus are my favourite flowers and your make is so beautiful! LOVE it!
Claudia x

Helen said...

Beautiful stamps and love the cards - all of them - the 8x8 is a biggie but it looks great - I only make them when I can hand deliver the finished piece, but that probably just makes me mean with the postage (which I see is going up again next month!) The third card though, is my favourite - love it love it! Wish I could be there.

Di said...

Wow Julia - these are absolutely fabulous! Each one shows that gorgeous stamp set off beautifully. Love them!

Hugs

Di
xx

Anonymous said...

I really like them, especially the wreath and the embossed last one. Great colour choice!

Scrapcat 1 said...

oooh these are very pretty and I love the flower wreath

scrappymo! said...

These are all so lovely!My fave is the last one. Love that you stamped on a page and then embossed it!

Debbie Frost said...

Looking good Julia but I can't believe you're phased by a little old 8x8! Love em use them all the time.Looking forward to inky fingers can't wait! Debs

Debbie Frost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shazsilverwolf said...

Some smashing inspiration here Julai. Funnily, I really struggle to use single flower stamps, so I shall be trying to remember this post( my memory is as shot as yours, lol). Hugs, Shaz xx

Sue said...

Julia, WOW, loving them. Those stamps are so versatile.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These cards are FANTASTIC. I like that your cards look like someone made them, yet don't look so complicated or full of so many products being sold by the card maker. You ROCK, dear Julia. Cards for the common individual!! And by common, I mean people who don't own a lot of supplies in the card making realm.

Claire Grantham said...

Love the cards Julia. 8x8 is tricky, done it once..never again. I too have a million flower items - especially paper flowers which I love. CX

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Is Ranunculus really a word? yes, I know I could google that but it is much more fun to ask. It would be even more fun to ask in person because I think ranunculus sounds like a fabulous word to say. Like a cross between ridiculous and a rhinoceros.

I think you've made fabulous work of this funky flower and its friends. I think that first card is quite stunning with your take on water coloring. Very nice.

Nan G said...

Cool cards. Love third one. 8x8 wow! Very nice job filling that one! BTW the plastic box on my desk holds my blending foam pads and once was a storage box for beads. It's divided into little squares which are the perfect size for the foam pads. I simply ripped off the cover. Hugs

Eliza said...

Julia,

You have definitely dusted off that Mojo those cards are beautiful, my favourite is the one on top. Excellent creations and the class are going to love getting their fingers all inky.

Hugs Eliza

Unknown said...

You are well on your way. Good job with the Ranunculus.You have done a lot with them; even the watercolor!

fairy thoughts said...

i might havs to come to themarathon just to use thaT stamp (asifi didnt get enough at make it )
love all thecards i think 8 x8 is a cballengebut you nailed it
have fun
janet

Donna Wheat said...

hi Julia, love the stamps. I nearly always make 8 by 8 cards, I think they're a great size, Donna

Japonica said...

Ranunculovely card designs! I cant wait for 24th march for workshoppers of Japonica to create someof your fab designs! Thanks for sharing them.

Kelly said...

I LOVE that first card. So elegant. The rest are very pretty. You've taken an image I didn't care for and made me like it. Nice work!

Sharon Madson said...

Wow! I cannot believe what you have done with these images! You got such a variety of looks , too. I especially love that first elegant card.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely stamps and super cards Julia. I can't believe you think you you're not an artist ... your cards prove otherwise. I don't care to make 8x8 cards either ... all that space to cover just fazes me but I do like your garland of ranunculus. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Diane said...

What a fun versatile stamp and ideas.

Hugs diane

Susan Lankford said...

Every creation is beautiful...especially love the stamping on print and embossed...

Shoshi said...

I LOVE what you've done with these stamps, Julia - all absolutely beautiful, but I especially like the silver one. Great work!

Shoshi

misteejay said...

Looks like you've been having fun Julia. I love the wreath card.

Toni xx

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh fun Julia !! I love all of these, and really like that flower stamps. The colors all turned out to be so pretty on each design.
Maybe the nudge I needed to get crackin' Thanks for sharing.

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

They are all great, but I think my favourite is the first one, just so elegant and stylish. xx Maggie

Dianne said...

WHOOT, WHOOT, what beautiful cards, I'm not a color so these are right up my ally, love your sparkly ink pads, get my Magpie eyes all googly, your Mojo is working big time,I'd love to be able to get my fingers all inky with you, thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

[url=http://albendazole.host/]albendazole[/url] [url=http://metformin-tablets.us/]insulin resistance metformin[/url] [url=http://doxylin.top/]doxycycline[/url]