Tuesday 4 March 2014

Master of time/Master of boards

Just in case you think that all of a sudden I've got time on my hands, I want to reassure you that I'm, MAKING the time. It's a time-management coup - and very easy - you just neglect everything else.  Seriously.
I thought I'd show you the 'backgrounds' workshop we did a couple weeks ago. To put off getting the kits started for this week's workshop.  See, procrastination in every method!
I scribbled Distress Stain across this sheet before stamping it. 

None of these are new ideas or breathtakingly different techniques, but they use a combination of stamped images you may not have thought of as 'going together' and they make the most of the ink pads you have in your stash.  If you're inspired to try it, pick 3 ink colours and say, five stamps, and a sheet of clear, frighteningly blank card.  Cream or white in these cases.  The stamps need to be relatively non specific images and you have to prepare yourself to stamp them all over, upside down and off the edges.  You can.It's easier than you think.  And it's not wrong.    
These two sheets were white and just stamped, no inking or staining of the base sheets.
My card samples aren't fab, they were about showing what, when cut down, a great and versatile background you will have created.  These two cards have exactly the same images stamped on them, and use the same ink pad colours.  But...different stamps were inked with different inks....they look quite different in terms of prominent colour, huh.



If you knock out a couple of sheets next time you want to make a card with a strong background, you'll have em in stock to use as patterned stock next time.  Don't discount over stamping and die cutting from them either..


If you're an ATC maker, these 'masterboard' style sheets are really quite useful.  Like gelli prints but with stamps.  And I may well have an idea that involves you and a handful of ATCs.....coming up soon. 




15 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I've not done this in a while, but I'm doing something similar tomorrow. Mine is rather more controlled though as some of my ladies freak out a bit, if their card doesn't look exactly like mine! I love the background overstamped with the flower outline. Fabulous.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember the first time I read the word "masterboard" and it was on your blog. I'd never heard of it, but it's a fantastic way to cover a sheet of white paper. AND, it works great for people like me, who are NOT good stampers. There are NO mistakes when you use this technique.

ATCs. UM. Sounds promising.

shazsilverwolf said...

I may take this and run with it, as a way of getting some use out of the ridiculous amount of printed paper packs I have that I really don't use. We shall see what happens- probably an utter mess, but you never know. Hugs, Shaz xx

Helen said...

Not sure what you mean by your samples not being great, they look just fine to me!! Love the masterboard technique. Glad you "made" time to play... lol!

Sue said...

Really fab. I'm loving the last one.

misteejay said...

Now that is the way to play. The backgrounds are very effective.

Toni xx

Claire said...

These are lovely Julia.
C xx

Karin said...

These are a great reminder of forgotten card layouts, combined with these techniques. It's great to see how these have come together!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I have a lot of little Clarity stamps that are perfect for background stamping in this way, and you are right, whatever you get, like the Gelli plate printing, is not wrong. It is what you get and you go with it. This one is very effective, and looks very professional too. xx Maggie

Shoshi said...

These are stunning, Julia - and what a totally brilliant idea!! Must give this a whirl. Love what you've done with them, too!

Shoshi

RosA said...

Your backgrounds look fabuous! My kind of stamping. Love the flowery thing on the bottom card!

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Julia, wow I love all those sheets you created, they are gorgeous, I love everything you created, I'm going to make a few to have for a few ATCS, thanks for the inspiration and heads up can't wait.I looooove that flower you created, thanks for sharing you a Doll...See you tomorrow...

Nan G said...

Great master boards! The 1036 blog uses this technique for postcards, think I may give it a try. Ooh ATCs!?

sara j said...

nope...not random at all....

Becky said...

LOVE that flower! WOW!