Monday 9 December 2013

Getting prickly..

Yesterday, in the true spirit of the Season, I hauled my not inconsiderable butt out of bed at the weekday time. Not the Sunday lie-in time of anywhere between 7.30 and 10am.  I grumbled a bit as I dressed for public consumption. (I can easily spend a Sunday in a dressing gown).  I grumbled less as the coffee started to filter through and work its magic, and by the time my chums arrived to whisk me away, I was able to speak and be pleasant.

My two amigas.  Yes we needed the aprons.

Amy, helpfully giving the greenery a perspective!


 
We were off to The Petal Boutique at Weyhill to make ourselves a Christmas wreath.  I have never done anything involving floristry, apart from pretending to arrange the odd bouquet in a vase.  And I mean odd.  In nearly 29 years, I've had more bouquets from family and friends for birthdays than as reminders of unbounded love from my life partner.  He knows who he is.
 
Helen, showing us floristry tricks for wiring

Helen's shop is lovely, filled with the scents and colours of floristry and hanging with gorgeous decorations for sale, and some really fab re-purposed and painted furniture.  She's a very stylish gal.  And very patient. She showed, helped and encouraged five of us to make the wreath from the wire frame up..to make sausages of moss, to bind with wire, to feed in the greenery and bind with wire.  To add decorations that are - surprisingly - wired..and finally to add a beautiful bow.  Well, everyone else had a beautiful bow.  I couldn't see why it was so hard to do, so tried myself and hmmm....should have asked for help. What I did do however, is become more relaxed over the course of the morning and therefore more able to be vocal and whiney when the holly stabbed me.  And it did. A lot.  It was really sharp.  But it didn't stop me using it, of course. I had a really lovely morning, and will be signing up for more as next year unfolds.  I'm never going to be a florist, but I like what Helen managed to make me do.  Clever. And I now have a really nice fresh wreath hanging at my door. I even went to the trouble of making sure it wasn't too close to the doorbell so that others don't have to suffer the holly prickles. Really, I'm like that. 

25 comments:

Judys Lace Creations said...

What a lovely workshop!!Love your wreath.
love your comical posts Julia.

voodoo vixen said...

Shame about the prickly holly but you have the most beautiful wreath to show for your efforts!!

Cardarian said...

Lovely wreath! I have been very bad with Christmas stuff this year as I had all these problems with my mom but I hope to jump into Christmas mode this week!
Enjoy this lovely time!
Lots of hugs,
Cardarian

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Looks like a fun workshop. Your wreath is gorgeous.

Elizabeth said...

The workshop looks fun, Julia, and your wreath is simply gorgeous, even more so because I know the PAINstaking care that went into the making of it! And snap! I, too, love to live in my dressing gown for much of the day :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Glenda said...

You have made the most gorgeous wreath! Sorry the holly was pricking your fingers but I'm sure it is beautiful in your wreath!

Scrapcat 1 said...

Your wreath is a thing of beauty thanks for sharing :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are a very considerate person to keep the prickly holly away from the doorbell.

In a previous life, I made wreaths and long swags. I had trouble making them after I became allergic to everything, though. The sap from the cut boughs do it every time. Now I stick to "silk" flowers. But your wreath is truly lovely.

You are doing well this December. Hand made is always best. Or is this another delaying tactic (grin)?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are a very considerate person to keep the prickly holly away from the doorbell.

In a previous life, I made wreaths and long swags. I had trouble making them after I became allergic to everything, though. The sap from the cut boughs do it every time. Now I stick to "silk" flowers. But your wreath is truly lovely.

You are doing well this December. Hand made is always best. Or is this another delaying tactic (grin)?

Monica said...

It is lovely I am sure and it must have a pleasant scent. Miss the smells of Christmas that were always present in UK. Drying sage is one of them. Never get that in USA, well down here where it is warm. The only herb that grows around our hill country nest is rosemary,

mamapez5 said...

Well done you! What a lovely way to spend the morning. Your wreath is beautiful. I have just dug my old artificial one out and am gazing at it, wondering what I can do to make it a bit more presentable. It is going to have to last. I haven't seen a holly leaf since I came out here! Kate x

Karen Petitt said...

Beautiful x

Helen said...

Oh, it looks gorgeous - I've always wanted to learn to arrange flowers properly, and this looks like a fabulous way to start!

Belinda Basson said...

Well now, I thought you were talking about me in your opening paragraph...it takes a cup of coffee to make me nice too...Mom had a holly bush at the start of her path...yip, it bites!

Nan G said...

Well worth getting up early I'd say! A beauteous wreath!

sara j said...

I love the wreath even if you did have to get dressed (gasp) on a Sunday. My idea of a perfect Sunday is exactly the same as yours so I know what it took to make this happen. Good on ya.....

Jackie said...

Your Sundays sound somewhat like mine .... If allowed however like you we had to be up early this week!
I bought mine this year for our front door, however the garden center did advertise a class to make one, I think I might try it next year after reading this!
Jackie

Eliza said...

Julia

Ha I had evil thoughts of you poking others with the holly then the wire, just to make sure they were keeping up. Beautiful wreath and what a fantastic workshop, I don't know of any here in Melbourne. Looks like the coffee did the trick and got you through the day with your wonderful company.

Hugs Eliza

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Julia,

What a great wreath! I could just imagine how sharp the holly edges are.

I haven't put up any decorations yet but am thinking about it......

Hugs,
Kay

fairy thoughts said...

brilliant idea for w workshop ... looks like a lot of fun
janet

JoZart Designs said...

It sounds good fun with great results. I bet you are sooooo chuffed!!
Jo x

Neet said...

Fabulous! I am waiting for my son to come and rob my holly trees as he always makes one for his partner every year - with help from mum. Nowhere near as good as yours I must add.

Hugs Neet xx

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

That is what was wrong with me today - no coffee. I really enjoyed reading this post and it sounded as though you had a great time. xx Maggie

Queenie Jeannie said...

Wow!! You did a great job on your wreath!!! Well done, you!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://buytadalafil.space/]buy tadalafil online[/url] [url=http://serpinaonline.click/]serpina[/url] [url=http://tadalafil20mg.cricket/]tadalafil 20 mg[/url] [url=http://lisinopril10mg.cricket/]lisinopril[/url] [url=http://buy-crestor.click/]crestor[/url]