Monday 11 November 2013

Recruited!

It doesn't mean a thing to anyone else, but I'm proud to be the owner of a good sturdy pair of steel toe cap boots.  Especially as they don't look too butch or even as if they came from a prescription.  I'm proud of them for two reasons..the first is that Mr Dunnit has been nagging me to get some for ages, and I kinda didn't get around to it...because, well I don't really know.  So now I've got them and that part of the Health & Safety at Work lecture can cease.  But more than that, and here's where it gets a bit childish...now I've got them, I feel like I really am a team member.  Remember, it's just him and me as a bit of help, so this 'team' analogy is a bit elastic. But I think that's the point - he is looking at me as a help! Too chatty,  physically out of shape and not strong enough,and probably more willing than I should be, but help, nonetheless.  
We had a recruitment drive last week.  And we've learned stuff about ourselves as potential employers, and remembered stuff about having employees from days gone by that has decided Mr Dunnit.  It's going to stay at just him and me.  If we can't fit the work in, we decline it.  Simple.  Relatively stress free.  And so, just to keep my feet on the ground, today's delivery of particularly heavy oak boards fell to me.  I got the van stuck in the mud of the car park (field) that I was directed to use.  The bright side....5 or 6 builder types had to help push the van out.  The dark side.....5 or 6 builder types with their shoulders to the bonnet of my van whispering to each other that I had the handbrake on whilst they were pushing.  The bright side....I'm not afraid of that sort of implication - I jumped out of the van, offered  one of them the job at the steering wheel and took his place at the bonnet.  The even brighter side......my fantastic pushing ability got the job done and freed the van. And the darker side...of course, I was showered with mud from the spinning tyres.  
bepattered and filthy.  Must have been on site then.

Ah well.  I didn't hurt my feet!


Deskers who may have tuned in for news - Patsy has posted post-storm (HERE) which I presume means that (as she and Peggy are neighbours) they and their immediate families are at least safe.  More, and ways to help too, on Patsy's blog, and we'll arrange ourselves a bit for an update on Wednesday too. 

18 comments:

Krisha said...

ROTFLMAO!!! You are so funny! I also have some steel-toed boots, requirement for entering commercial building sites, when I worked for a cabinet manufacturer.
Now I usually do not use the brakes, of any kind, when being pushed out of the mud.......LOL
They must have been some good looking fellas to want to keep them around!!

Helen said...

I love your boots, but aren't they very heavy to wear? Glad you showed the men how to push a van out of the mud... you brought a smile to my face. Thanks for letting us know Peggy and Patsy have survived, I was so worried for them.

Glenda said...

Oh honey, I just know where your at right now. At one point my husband had a hand wash car wash and let me just say we got all kinds of huge stuff to wash. Things that would not go through the mechanical washers came to us. 4 wheel drive trucks and SUVs and all manner of fancy cars and at one point we detailed a huge motor home. Inside and out. I didn't have to wear steal toed boots but never the less, we are a help....somewhat!

Elizabeth said...

Huh! So my prowess with a file has been spurned ... Julia, I'm devastated ... not :) Can understand perfectly why you and Mr Dunnit have decided to resist taking on an employee ... I know from personal experience that it can be a bit of a minefield. Love your boots ... they do look comfy, and safe. And what's not to like about 5 or 6 builder types coming to your rescue :)) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

sara j said...

Excellent job on all accounts. Well, maybe not the hand brake thing, but hey, what's a woman to do - exactly what you did!! I LOVE the boots....they have character and will only gain more. Rock on!

KatzElbows said...

Was the muttering true? Did you have the handbrake on? Just wondering!

Love the boots.
Love Rachel.

Karen said...

At least your toesies will be safe inside those!!! Hope you have fun being part of the team! Karen x PS. Not around on WOYWW for a while as my little Brother had a stroke and is in hospital. No crafting at all, just toast, hospitals (even more than usual!) and sleep for us....! x

shazsilverwolf said...

As a 'have to wear' safety boots person- totally obligatory where I work, along with safety glasses & ear defenders!- trust me when I say one of these days you will be so glad you have them on. The amount of times I've dropped something on my feet is beyond counting. Not saying you are clumsy, btw!Probably just me.Your story did make me smile though. I can understand why you have decided not to employ- so many rules & regs now, and they all seem stacked against the employer.And thats not counting trying to find someone suitable, which is a nightmare in itself.Its about time schools/colleges/parents started teaching kids the skills/attitudes they need for the woutside world, not least that the world owes them nothing they are not prepared to work for.
** Steps down off soapbox and puts it away, lol.** Have a great week Julia, Hugs Shaz xx

voodoo vixen said...

Loving those boots and hoping that you never have to try out those steel toe caps for real and you are a help, or he wouldn't have you hanging around, honest! Had a laugh at the big building site types helping the little lady out... see, there are advantages!

Sir Thoma said...

I was searching the blogs for a long time and that is good to know that I have found such blogs here. Great working! Keep it up! Kermeilde

Hettie said...

Go Miss Sexy Boots!!
xx

Sunshine Girl said...

Oooh love the boots - better than my timberlands which are also, er, covered in mud after the trek around a cricket pitch in the dark last Thursday for scouts fireworks! Sorry I haven't been joining in WOYWW for a while - things are manic in my part of the world :) good manic though!

fairy thoughts said...

Looks like you have anew name sexy boots. Well and truly christened
Janet

Neet said...

Brill blog post about you and the boots and the builders and - it was tummy achingly funny - thanks Julia.
Hugs, Neet xx

JoZart Designs said...

Good on yer girl! You showed 'em!
Great to hear news of Peggy and Patsy.... such a relief but so many aren't so luck and my heart goes out to them all.
jo x

Nan G said...

Fab new boots, girl! You'll appreciate them steel toes one day. Said with a grin from one who has broken her toes more times than she cares to count cause she didn't have a pair of them steely toed booties! 5 or 6 ? Wow! Lucky you. double grin chuckle awe heck LOL at the sight of your adventure. Bug hugs

HeARTworks said...

The blog community overwhelms me with your concern! I have received many emails asking me how I am. Truly touched you mentioned us in today's post Julia! Those boots are the coolest! Patsy

Dianne said...

This post,HILARIOUSSS, you my dear are such a funny Lady, and an amazing woman, love woman in work boots, very kool :O).this was a wonderful visit, thanks for sharing a wonderful piece of your world, love it.. See you in the morning, well your afternoon, big hugs.. Hope you have a cleaner day :O)..