Friday 12 April 2013

The whole photos thing...

Today's topic is photography. I'm on holiday, which is what prompts such thought. That is the good news. The bad news is that I intend to blog as usual. That said of course, this will involve finding a bar with free Internet access...so it"s likely that you'll be reading this if I've had a gin and slimline. Or two. There may be typos. And worse, there may not be pictures. Aha, I'm getting to the point after only a handful of sentences! Possibly.

For some reason, I feel a fool using my iPad to take photos in public. Ya see, I watched the Olympics and I saw all those people blocking other people's vision and generally looking silly by using their iPads (other tablets are available) as cameras. After all, as a camera they aren't exactly discreet, huh. in an age when we use teeny everything and even 'pocket' phnes have cameras, carting a tablet round for Camera pirposes seems a bit incongruous to me. Nor do I want to be waving it about (the iPad, that is) doing the 'look at me, I'm an Apple person' either. Heaven forbid I'm mistaken for an iPad user...someone might ask me how to use it, and as I barely use 10% of its ability, I'm not the sophisticated consumer that Apple wants me to be, or that ownership of the brand apparently implies.

So photos for blog use may well be taken in erm, private moments. Thats is to say that you might end up seeing my daily domestic holiday life as a change from my daily domestic real life. Or perhaps, some food, or the odd swimming pool shot...I don't know. But if we do real sightseeing, there will be a camera and that means waiting to get home to the old PC before I can see and show. In a way, the waiting experience equals the old film and developing thing. I still get the same crushing disappointment when I see that I haven't become an ace photographer in my sleep and without effort!

And here's something else you may need to know.....me and Mr Dunnit, we have no firm plans to go anywhere or do much but walk about in the sunshine...so there may well be no real photography anyway. But if after al that, you're even vaguely interested, watch this space!

 

23 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

You worry too much, lol! ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!!!

Signed,
Jealous because I have no sunshine, nor vacation!

Helen said...

Laughed out loud at this, which is awkward as the boss has just come in... hope you enjoy the sunshine (it's wet here...) and take some pictures on something, somewhere, to show us later.. have fun - and most of all, enjoy!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

If you wrote about Paint Drying, you would still have an audience!! It's the way you tell 'em!
Hope you are both having a lot of the S's.......sun, sea, sand and the other ;)
Hugs. LLJ xxxx

Annie said...

Just have a wonderful holiday and stop worrying....oh and no really private moment holiday shots please :-)
Enjoy the sunshine and relax my friend :-)
Hugs,
A x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Julia, never mind the photos, just have a great time, come back well rested and glowing :)) Elizabeth xx

Gill Edwards said...

i know what you mean about gadget sizes. I have a Galaxy Note phone which is great for size of screen and has a fab camera but looks daft when held to my ear.

Have a great break and we look forward to any shots you manage to take.

Gill x

Kim said...

Enjoy your vacation! (Besides, I can't seem to post photos from my Ipad to the blog anyway, so don't fuss!)

Mari K. said...

I say wave that iPad around like a crazy lady! Once you've gotten a few drinks in you no one will even think anything of it (or you won't care what they think anyway) Enjoy your time away!

Bernice said...

Just enjoy the sunshine - we have just arrived back from Cyprus and believe you me its COLD when you come home. Wherever you are McDonalds usually have free WIFI but to be honest, I find the whole process of using the tablet for blogging just too much of an effort when on holiday - check your emails, facebook etc and then relax and enjoy the break!
Bernice

Alison Scott said...

Enjoy your holiday. The photos will be fab. I'm pea green with envy.

Monica said...

The ipad takes super photos. it is not as bad as women on cell phones chatting in a public lu.

Darnell said...

I hope your holiday is smashing, Julia!! As regard to the photos, please, as crafters we have above-average imaginations and can supply our own, right?! For instance, the one I conjured up of you and Mr. D., in the chaise, slurping your gees and tees is quite fetching ...

scrappymo! said...

Your holiday sounds lovely and relaxing...the best thing that a holiday can be!

fairy thoughts said...

Mm i think I remember sunshine, but only a distant memory, just jealous, you know..... enjoy :)
janet

fairy thoughts said...

Mm i think I remember sunshine, but only a distant memory, just jealous, you know..... enjoy :)
janet

Carmen said...

I'm deeply impressed that you did a blog while on holiday and I assume from your ipad? I couldn't even fathom that on my tablet (Google Nexus by the way *g*)

Have an amazing holiday - try and sneak some sun back in your suitcase?

sara j said...

With all due respect, I don't think Apple really cares what kind of user you are after you buy the product.
Okay that might not be fair. I am a huge Apple Fan. LOVE my Mac Air which I tote about the house with me, but I am with your about taking photos with an iPad. It could look kind of dorky. But then you might not care.
Heck, your on vacation. When are you going to see those people again? I mean really? That's generally my take on it all. At any rate, most importantly have fun.

sara j said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsty.A said...

have a good time. I've hardly taken any pictures this holiday but I'm getting better at using my smart phone so I can blog the few I take

Heathers Inspiration said...

Hope you are both having a wonderful holiday. Sunshine and G&T's sounds like bliss to me x
Hope you get a few snap shots in due course :) Heather x

Hettie said...

ENJOY your Holiday Julia! But I know what you mean about peeps using ipads to take photos! The ones I have seen (of quilts mainly) are usually fuzzy as people don't/can't hold it still!
Have fun!
xx

KatzElbows said...

I so agree, using yr iPad to take photos just looks weird. And probably helps thieves know you're a good target!

Now stop worrying and focus in having a good timel

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Funny true to life post! I smiled athe the Ipad camera thing, just talked about that, and 10% use, your doing well. DH told me his doesn't do half of what our computer does. My reply "We need to take classes" it does a LOT more we're just out of the loop.
Enjoy your time and Cheers to you too.