Friday 5 April 2013

A lesson....

Now I don't claim to know any better than anyone else.  Oh, OK, from the insistent and stubborn way that I 'strongly recommend' that you do things my way, you may well feel that I'm kidding myself.  I get that, I understand the theory of free will.  I don't claim either, to scoff at anyone who says they 'don't have time' for something.  I genuinely don't...although I do, just as genuinely, feel that they should benefit from some of my advice:  If you want to do something badly enough, you'll find time. 
Anyone with a job and a house to run, with or without family, will know that's true.  At different times of the day and night, we are carving out some time to do something that makes us happy.  No doubt that any sort of creativity is therapy.  (Except the relentless slog of cooking supper...I don't mind doing it, but I hate being the one who has to choose all the time....!)
This is one of my therapies:

Time to visit with a friend. You may well recognise Jan.  It's been ages since we caught up and so yesterday, fresh from her trip to Wales, we took the chance.  We discussed the charity of choice for the WOYWW crop, the menu for the WOYWW crop and life.  As you would.  I was riveting company as you can see.  The lesson - quite clear and profound - make and take the time for a cuppa and a chat. It's good for the soul.  

Here's some details about the pic, in case you're interested...
I made the quilt from Jo's LilyBo instructions and Jan's remnants..I did manage to buy the red fleece lining and the wadding! I have been angsting over not having made the bag yet, and of course, Jan won't have that sort of nonsense.  She suggested it go as part of a first donation to the chosen charity.  Salisbury Women's Refuge.  Women and children often have to leave home with nothing but the clothes they stand up in.  The Refuge offers a place of safety and amongst other things, some bits and pieces to help.  I hope Jo will approve of the diversion.  Jan sleeping through my interesting news just might have offered me another lesson, but I'm too busy to learn....
Have a lovely weekend!

24 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Well done Julia great pickie in more ways than one and love the quilt! great to have true friends! Shaz in Oz.x

Annie said...

To be able to sleep in your company really is a huge compliment Julia. It's so special to have friends like that.
Love the quilt too.....gorgeous colours and a well worth cause.
Hugs,
A x

Helen said...

The quilt is beautiful and a great choice of charity. I agree with Annie, I think it is a huge compliment to feel so relaxed somewhere you (Jan) can fall asleep....

Glenda said...

You have definitely made her feel right at home. The best compliment anyone can pay you! I'm glad you are close and can visit!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

What a fantastic actress I am!!

And the winner of the BAFTA goes to LLJ!!! See what I do for you, LOLOL!!!

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Monica said...

Ah she had to be kidding. Cannot imagine some one sleeping with you chattering.

Twiglet said...

Priceless!!!!!! I love the quilt Julia - obviously nice to snuggle down under. x Jo

Lisa-Jane said...

Gorgeous quilt and a very worthy charity.

Debs Willis said...

Oooh did the subject of the photo give you permission to publish....or is there grief from Jan in your future ??? this made me smile, thank you for sharing :-)

debs x

misteejay said...

Great photo Julia.

The quilt is beautiful and I'm sure it will be much appreciated by your chosen charity.

Toni xx

fairy thoughts said...

ah! bless..... obviously that quilt has magic qualities, the gift of sleep... a gift indeed
janet

Heathers Inspiration said...

A Beautiful photo as a keen amateur photographer, I Love seeing different moments captured and sleep (resting our eyes) is one of them x
That's a Gorgeous quilt too and a fab cause for it :)
Hope ypu Loved time to R&R, chat and plan.
Heather x

Redanne said...

Hi Julia, your quilt is beautiful! I had some angst ridden moments over making my bag for the quilt I made but in the end it was easier than the quilt! I think it is lovely that Jan felt she could fall asleep in your company..... Oh, and my lovely Dad used to say, if you want a job done - ask a busy person. I reckon that you will always get your jobs done... Hugs, Anne x

jill said...

Fab Quilt . Glad you both enjoyed each others company. Have a lovely weekend , Jill x

Carola Bartz said...

A beautiful quilt, Julia! The entire "scene" looks very comfy and cozy. The thing I always make time for in my day is a short nap!

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Cooking supper is an interesting concept to me, I don't think I've ever cooked supper in my life - not unless you count toasting bread as cooking :-D It's usually toast, crisps or chocolate for me :-/
Beautiful quilt, love the colours.
Anne x

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing photo Julia.

A really beautiful quilt ist this and I'm sure this will be appreciated by your chosen charity.

xxx Susi

505whimsygirl said...

A true friends knows that they can nap in your presence without being scolded - or offending anyone! I love the colors on the blanket; you did a great job.

The charity for the WOYWW Crop sounds wonderful. I've been evacuated twice due to wildfires. The first time all I had were the clothes on my back. I was lucky enough for a neighbor to make it to my house to get my beloved dog. I know how much comfort a blanket will be!! My story is nothing compared to those in the Refuge. I knew I was going back home (if it didn't burn down) eventually. Two weeks later I was able to.

As much as I'd love to make it to the Crop I won't be able to come. I might, though, have a piece of my beadwork that I could donate for an auction - do you guys do that?

Hugs,
Kay

Kezzy said...

Wow Julia the quilt is amazing, I have been wondering if to have a go, but no way could I do anything as extravagent as that it's gorgeous. Lol falling asleep, I'm sure she wasn't but it's not a bad thing. I have had my best friend fall asleep here and me there, I think it's when you know you have true friendship that you can be comfortable to fall asleep and your mate doesn't mind :-)
Kezzy xxx

Darnell said...

Flippin lunie-bins, the both of you! I'm dying here! The J&J Express, what a hoot! And what riveting company you are, Julia!

(In all seriousness, fab quilt, obviously cozy, and brilliant idea to donate it to the Refuge!)

Now I have to run. I'm much too busy ...

Gill Edwards said...

lovely quilt Julia and it does seem to be so cosy too.

Gill x

Di said...

HOW did I miss this fabby piccie?!?! It's great - and so true that real friends can nod off without the other one being offended. And at least Jan wasn't catching flies :)

Love your quilt Julia - really colourful and going to such a good cause - once LLJ lets go of it!

I only found this 'cos I aim to come and play on WOYWW tomorrow and was scrolling checking what number it is - still can't understand how some posts show on my dashboard and am sure others sneak past :(

Hugs, Di xx

Spyder said...

I have a pic of me just like this! (Hubby took it) I think the cat was in there somewhere too

(Lyn)

JoZart Designs said...

How did I ever miss this post! how wonderful and please can I have a pic of it to post on LillyBo blog. I always said that quilts could go to makers local charities to save postage and travel etc., and this is super that LillyBo quilts has inspired you to make one for the refuge! Well done!
Lots of love Jo x