Monday 23 August 2010

Oh, this turned into a review!

Some time ago on a Wednesday, a few readers spotted this material on my desk; some thought it printed paper or vellum. It's actually a really rigid acetate (by Kanban) and it's very pretty. Also lends itself to be being left pretty much to itself, which is a gift for a quick or unusual card, huh! I used a DO Crafts foil starter kit - traced some of the pattern with the glue and foiled that and then used their 'Bonding Powder' to stamp and foil the image. (the Bonding Powder isn't part of the kit). Whatcha do is stamp the image in a pigment ink and emboss it with the Bonding Powder. Then you lay the foil over it and rub gently, lift the foil and *pouf* foiled image. It worked really well for me (even though it doesn't photograph brilliantly.) However in the Workshop where this was being repeated, it became obvious that my technique was a bit lucky. Should I wait for the embossed image to cool or hurry and get the foil on whilst still warm? If you aren't using black card, how easy would it be to tell that the powder was embossed? Because it went right for me first time, I didn't do the usual fiddling about and 'trials' that a new product usually causes me. Anyway, because it's £4.50 a pot and because at that price you want to know it'll work well, I've done what any normal person would do. I put on my glasses and read the label. Of course there isn't much room on the label, so I immediately did what it suggested and visited DO Crafts' website for more information. There wasn't any. It's listed as a new product. Helpful. No 'how to' information or hints and tips nor nothing. I am a bit surprised by that, but also I'm not. Now see, I'm more than happy to road test products (aren't we all) and review them, but you kinda need to know what to do with them first, huh! The best tip I can give you is this: it doesn't 'emboss' to a shiny raised surface....the white of the powder simply melts under the heat. It works most effectively if it's warm when you apply the foil...and we discovered in the workshop that re-heating a spot that may not have taken much foil initially is often all that's needed. Not a bad product, but I can see it being tossed to the back of a cupboard in disgust - and at that price, it shouldn't be!
Anyone from DO reading? You're welcome!

24 comments:

Sew This N That said...

I am a throw it in the cupboard sorta person, if I can't get something to work I sulk big time rofl.
I tried using foil last year with a glue pad thingy and it didn't work....haven't used it since.
Thanks for sharing Julia, I may just give it another go with the bonding powder instead :)
*hugs* Heather x

Sew This N That said...

Oh I have just noticed you've took WV off again...change your settings to moderate comments and that will keep your blog safe :)
*hugs* Heather x

Kathy said...

The card looks lovely.
I have way too many "thrown in the back of the cupboard" products already!

mckinkle said...

I agree with above, I love the card but if the products dont even have instructions then they shouldnt really be for sale surely?

Another crafty item gets whizzed to the darkness!

Keryn x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

They should put you on their design team and send you a free container of the stuff. You do marvelous reviews. Not even sure I've heard of this in the States, but then, there are so many things I've recently become exposed to. Thanks for informing me of something I can at least talk about (grin).

Bluefairy4U said...

Morning Julia, I too would like to know more about a products before I buy them especially that price. I haven't done foils but gold/coloured flakes and put them on with blue glue pen when it goes white, if this product is quicker and better might try, but hopefully other people might have tried this product and give us more info on it. Lol Jo.xxx

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Thanks for the info Julia, I've got some and didn't have good results with it, better dig it out!
Anne x

Kirsty.A said...

Greetings from France - I'll be back in Blogland in September. Enjoy the end of the summer

misteejay said...

Beautiful card.

I have way too many products hiding in the darkness of long forgotten spaces so think I might give this one a miss.

Toni :o)

Cath Wilson said...

He, he - tell it like it is. You made me giggle out loud - thanks for that :D

It's actually not that bad to use (not that I've ever used that particular variety but I've used a few others for foiling and gold leafing in the past) when you get used to it. Might even get mine out and give it a go cos you have me intrigued, lol.

Annie said...

I've passed on a blog award to you. Please check out my blog to pick it up.
Hugs,
A x

Chrissie said...

I'm with you on the instruction lark, however you seem to have managed this one 'flying solo' with the greatest of ease.
This card is uber fab!
I like to see pics of what to do rather than having to read loads of words!
By the way, there's an award for you on my blog!
Chrissie

Juls said...

stunning and elegant! Love the swirls! Hugs Juls

Twiglet said...

It's a conspiracy we are ganging up on you .... I've passed on a blog award to you. Please check out my blog to pick it up

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

He he, things should come with instructions and be easy to use! Love what you made though :)

Hugs
Maarit

Unknown said...

i've been wondering if there is a product on the market that allows you to foil something you've stamped in versamark - the posibilities would be endless and a great additional technique to ones repetoir!!!

I'l avoid this product until they have tried and tested it and given the instructions - what an opportunity wasted for the price!!!

Paula x x x

Angie said...

I'm afraid I want a product to work easily ...first time ...cant abide it if I have to mess around experimenting and using loads of tips to get a good result. If it doesn't work after a couple of goes the product is never used again....its that lack of patience again xx

nerllybird said...

Now, I'm trying to remember who makes 'Stamp'n'Bond', which is exactly the same stuff by the sound of it. You have to be careful not to overheat it, just heat til it melts then stop.

As for the 'hot foil' kit, I've nothing against DO and have just bought a load of their stuff. But the hot foils are going to be just the same as the Stix2 foil sheets, which are mega cheap. Jean from Crafty Individuals loves them and uses them with a glue stick. I can't get a glue stick to work but if you use a quickie glue pen and let it dry tacky, it's great.

Jane said...

Hi Julia
there is a little award waiting for you over on my blog
x

Darcy Marshall said...

hi Julia, the bag pattern is by a company called 'Moon Shine' the pattern is called 'The Bow Bag' and she should be able to get it from any quilting shop.

i got my pattern from here.

http://www.thefatquarters.co.uk/

Carmen said...

Oh gawd there are so many things like this that I see people mentioning and I just don't 'get'. And then I see them in the shop and think 'oooh this is what so and so mentioned' turn it over to read the instructions and then like you say - there are none. I think it's why a lot of products and techniques I'm discovering now are so new to me as if I don't know how to use them I wont buy them. It wouldn't be hard to do fold out instructions on the tub like you get on a Marmite pot sometimes. Well would it?

Great review again Julia :)

cheryl said...

hi hun yeah am with you got to have instructions,as whats the point if you cant use it I would just stick it to back of cupboard,and sulk ha ha,but love what you have done hun hugs cheryl xxxxxxx

Sarpreet said...

Hi Julia, a gorgeous card, thank you for the info on foiling, DO have done foil tools - apparently i was told there are instructions in these. There was a little bit of help in the last issue of the magazine

Serendipity Stamping said...

Looks like we all are of the same mind concerning the use of this product. I hate it when I buy something and then the instructions are non-existant or not complete. In spite of this you make a very pretty card!