Friday 15 September 2017

On going to a Crop

We're on the road for this year's WOYWW Crop. Tripping up to Llandudno to be embraced by Margaret's warm and welcoming hospitality. I'm not entirely sure that 'Crop' adequately describes the day, but it's as close as we can come, I guess, to anything a crafter would understand. Because we all know each other, but in many cases have never met, there's an instant camaraderie, a warm welcome for everyone. I really hope that no-one would be too nervous to come on their own. If that is you, message me and we'll meet in the car park and I can walk in with you; so you won't be on your own.  I'll be excited though, so will probably announce your arrival in a shouty, not very subtle way! 
Classic decoy photo. This is NOT Llandudno. The San Francisco range seen from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
It's not a 'location' event, or a workshop at which you are to be amazed and impressed. There's tables and chairs and facilities.The rest, we bring with us. That is, hours of chat, quite a lot of tea and coffee and oh so much food! The idea of making it a Crop rather than just a big old meet in a restaurant is that we can swap and display our crafts, and work on something too. A few people manage some inking or cutting; I always think it's handy to turn to the desk if you encounter an awkward multi-second silence!


At some point over the last few weeks, I did think that I would organise myself to take some project or other to work on. I've done so little scrapbooking this year that it would be lovely to make a start on catching up. And then, of course, there's the upcoming Season and my desire to have both business and private greetings cards to send that are actually hand made. It's a good opportunity. But I fear, my need to know more about every one that's coming, (more nosiness) and my well documented procrastination skills will mean that I bring nothing and do nothing. And that will be just fine.

The Crop is such a good opportunity to glean info from Deskers, to match the person to their stash, to find out if their blogs truly reflect themselves, or whether their writing changes them. It does happen. Some of us are far more shy and lacking in opinion than you would expect. Seriously, you'd be surprised.


And another decoy. This isn't Lladudno either. I think there are less rock vistas in Llandudno.
I know that Shaz is bringing her huge collection of dies...I can often be bribed into doing some cutting for you. Bring card stock if you think that sounds like an idea you'd like to take advantage of. In years gone by (! that phrase!!) the Crop has been timed to slightly co-ordinate with the WOYWW anniversary and so we've collectively taken advantage of the meet to swap our anniversary ATCs. We're way past the anniversary date this year.  There is no need to make a specific Crop ATC, but if you want to, that would be nice. I think a maximum of about 15 would do it.

There will at some point during the day be a call to pay subs - to cover the cost of hiring the hall and paying for the lunch. The charge will be £10 a head for Deskers and we charge the husbands that stay to/come back for lunch a £5. Margaret will have run herself ragged to fill us up within budget; I'm pretty sure that you'll love it. We also do a little fund raising for a chosen charity each year - this year it will be for Margaret to choose; she works for a couple of charities so it will be lovely to make a contribution as a thank you, don't you think. See. Even talking about the Crop makes me all friendly and charitable. Told you that you often find people out of character when involved with WOYWW Crop!

It all happens on 30 September. Read HERE.
I would be a fibbing if I said I'm not looking forward to it. And the seaside. And more Welsh Wales. 

18 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Julia, If was not the other side of the country, I would have loved to come to the crop. Oh well, I will look forward to seeing the photos. Sue

shazsilverwolf said...

Hmmm, I'd best be getting my ATC head on then.As usual, I'm being a last minute merchant. Nothing like a deadline toake you get your ass in gear,😁 huge hugs, Shaz xxx

Kathyk said...

I was thinking it didn't look like any of the scenery I would expect to see near Llandudno! Sorry to be AWOL from WOYWW but still having wrist issues, hope you all have a FABULOUS get together and say "HI" from me too

Kathyk

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Yay, another road trip!! I may take some yarn and a crochet hook in the vain hope of getting something done 😁
Xxxx

Annie said...

Wahoooooo I can't wait. As requested I'm bringing my dumfer and a bit of dumfing for anyone that fancies having a go. But it just may well stay under its cover so the day can be filled with the more important task of meeting and getting to know the friends I've chatted to for years.......can you tell I'm excited?
Hugs,
Annie x

Helen said...

I am so sorry not to be able to go on this road trip, but I couldn't make the trains work. Maybe next time! I expect lots of photos...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I couldn't manage the airfare, but I will definitely be there in spirit. Love the photos from the American Rockies.

Christine said...

Straight off one holiday and onto a roadtrip!!!
Me and the Mister will be there.....

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

So wish I could be there. Trying to get there could mean a week away from where I am but I will be with you in spirit xXx

pearshapedcrafting said...

So sad to be missing this (So close to home too!) I will still be in sunny France! Have fun!! Chrisxx

Heather M said...

I hope you all have a wonderful time. Would love to join you, especially as I'm only a couple of hours away from Llandudno, but we only get back from Canada the day before, and I think I will be too tired. May be another year xx

Anonymous said...

One year I will actually make it to a Crop. We are off to Spain on the following Tuesday, so will not have the energy to make a trip up to North Wales (and Rich is too busy to drive me that weekend anyway). Have a fabulous day and I look forward to seeing photos. Ali x

Morti said...

Regrets from the Bromilow clan but Chichester University requires our presence that day.... 🙄

Sharon Madson said...

Sounds like fun! Do WOYWWs on this side of the pond ever get together? :). Love your photos of the Grand Canyon! Glad you got to see it while you were over here.

glitterandglue said...

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to welcome you all to Wales! Croeso y Gymru! less than two weeks now!!! Will be sorry to miss you, Helen, Heather, Chris, Angela, Elizabeth, Kathy, Sue. Another time, hopefully. Mrs D is DETERMINED to get here - even though it may well mean she arrives with a walking frame as she is still recovering from that horrid fall. Don't suppose she will bring any craft to do - so will need lots of conversation to keep her going all day:-) She is attempting to get on her canal boat tomorrow for the first time and go a little way up the canal and back down.
Take care everyone. travel safely - those who are coming.
God bless.
Margaret

Lynn Holland said...

I hope you all have the most fabulous time in beautiful Llandudno. We've stayed in the Empire Hotel at the top of town a few times. I'll be enjoying a lovely week in the Lake District at our caravan.
A craft group I've been involved with for over 20 years meets once A month for the day and I have to admit unless we are doing a joint project very little gets done other than chatting and eating and having a look round the farmshop and garden centre downstairs

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Beautiful scenery I thought you may be in South Dakota, I've not been this far west in the USA as yet but hope to visit. Safe travels.

Anne said...

I am excited and a little nervous. However if mum has no setbacks between now and then I shall be there!I am not sure I can manage ATC's that are worthy, most of my time being spent at the hospital visiting mum. But never say never!!!! I will try. X