Friday 14 April 2017

I seem to have 'a thing'

One of the best things about being a crafter is the things it reveals about you. Well, me. Well, you too, I'm sure. Take scrapbooking. It's a prime example I think, and utterly reflects my mind set. It's taken me a few years to really become a scrapbooker. I started initially because I had a craft shop and products to use in order to sell products. Now I do it for pleasure, and I seem to have hit on a format.
You can see the pattern. Use one photo, layer it on a load of other paper - some of it made to look like casual scraps. Actually, this is a skill. I can easily reduce a £1.30 piece of 12 x 12 to a badly ripped 2" circle for the sake of my art. Then bung on something that might use up some of the embellishments I've spent ten years collecting. I like to add hand written journaling when it's necessary....I figure if I have to explain the LO to anyone looking at them, then it needs to have that explanation included on the page. After all, I may not always be around to explain, and I'd hate the pile of albums to end up on a bonfire before my art has been understood. *cough*.

And then, because I like to reflect trends and be a bang up to date scrapbooker, I add a flair badge. I have no idea why, but I really can't help myself in either buying or using them. In fact, I should probably employ one of my many storage boxes or saved tins to use as a lovely home for the collection of waiting to be used badges. But that would be very silly. I know full well that I would then feel obliged to buy lots more to fill the tin so the others aren't lonely. Then they wouldn't be 'flair' badges...more 'saturation embellishments'! Of course, at some point, I might find a different embellishment to saturate my formula with. I think it may be a while though. And meantime, hark at how self aware I am. I'm evolving!

13 comments:

Annie Claxton said...

hehehe I LOVE your scrapping formula, and it's definitely related to mine. And totally agree the story needs to be on the page for posterity - mine often ends up on the back or tucked away on a tag or something but it's there somewhere. Wouldn't it be amazing if our grandmothers had done a similar thing and we could look through them now?! xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Although I'm not a scrapbooker, I adore your layouts. They are clean, not simple, but not too extravagant, either. The formula looks good to me. Love the BUDDS!

Sue said...

Hi Julia, I love your LOs.

My LO rarely have only one photo. Never heard of Flair Badges, so I must look out for those. Sue

Kathyk said...

And the one photo layout really works for you .... this ROCKS!

Kathyk

Helen said...

great pics! I have done a total of 2 scrapbook pages in my life - I like to go for clean and simple and let the picture tell the story - but you do sometimes need a bit more - loving your page for Jenny's Coven!! Your comment about the bonfire did make me chuckle though... wonder who you could possibly be directing that comment at!!!

Bubbles said...

What I love most about your scrapbook pages...? the colours! They look amazing - I do so wish I had the courage to put colours together and make it look brilliant. I tend to use a monochromatic palette.
I do think it's a great idea to have a 'formula' for layouts - it gives a consistency to scrapbook albums :)

Neet said...

Maybe I should become a scrapper and then I could use up the endless pieces of lovely paper I have. They don't get used much when card making - I don't want to part with it! Selfish or what?
Love your LO formula.
Hugs, Neet xx

Kelly said...

great layouts. love your 'flair' for a formula. Creative Blessings! Kelly

buterfliecrafter said...

I started out with scrapbooking, but evolved into mixed media, everybody has his cup of tea, for me scrapbooking must be right and with mixed media is more forgiving. love your LOs, Vicky

Anonymous said...

I have a similar format for my cards - and at least you are scrapbooking. I have big intentions, but only ever managed to make some digital LOs. Ali x

Lynn Holland said...

Your storytelling book is a lot more colourful than my little old autograph book. Maybe I'll do one on scrapbook form next time.
Thanks for showing us Julia
Lynn xx

Stacy Sheldon said...

I am kind of grinning over this one too. ( neat pages ) but the story of how the scrap pages come together is fun, and your right if you do get a container you will be obligated to fill it up...

I tend to lean towards very clean and simple for scrap pages I used to do the heavy what-evers and it falls off the page after a while and just puts dents in the pages around it if you put them in albums.

Lynnecrafts said...

Your WOYWW circle is brillliant. I've just joined. Many thanks, Lynne #33