Friday 27 December 2013

A Review. Solicited by flattery.

Oh the vanity! The nice people at Bead and Button Company asked me if I'd like to choose some goodies from their extensive website and review on my (and I quote) 'lovely blog'. Well, you know me. Flattery works. I have to say that so does the product; when you get to their website, you'll probably be thinking as I was  - make a quick overview and browse some stuff, choose some bits and away.  Well, let me tell you - the selection is so amazing that I had a list of a length that Santa would recognise.  I was compelled to keep looking...wow, really, I was envisaging projects that could take me through next year...and the buttons..oh heaven! However, on the basis that when you undertake to do a review it really needs to be done within a polite time frame, I whittled the list down to getting some stash that I knew I could use in the immediate future. It came, with a minimum of fuss and a lot of impact..I've never seen so many beads for so little money, it really felt like a bag of treasure!

As you can see, they don't stick to just beads and buttons...there are products for all sorts of crafting, there are some beautiful reels of ribbon...and oh my, the choices.  Well. Action stations people...I had to use some of them.  I know, I make it sound like a chore! 


I chose the big wooden buttons with this Jacket in mind.  My mother in Law just finished knitting it for me and I love it.  I think the buttons are perfect, and unusually for me, worth the wait.  See, I wanted to have the item before I chose the buttons and when this review opportunity popped up and I exercised grown up patience.  My word, I'm evolving.



The beautiful glass beads were incorporated into jug and pot covers that I made for a couple of great friends. They are both vintage Suzy Homemaker types, so I think they will like them.  I love the weight they give to the cotton, a perfect drape.  The colours are crackled inside the glass - really pretty.  AND, the hole size was utterly consistent...quite important when you're threading them onto multi stranded cotton, and are known to be fabulously impatient with such things.

I also chose some drop shape multicoloured plastic beads (because I couldn't help myself) and incorporated them too.  The small turquoise beads above will be a longer term project..I ordered 2 strands because I thought I may need a few...my goodness, in each case I was staggered by how much you get for the price...although I should add that I knew there would be 100 of the drop beads and just two of the big buttons...because that's what I asked for!  
I
I am quite carried away by the selections, particularly of buttons.  There are printed, plain, shell, wooden, novelty - you name it.  It's hard not to 'need' lots. Do yourself a favour and set aside twenty minutes to browse the site..you won't be disappointed. It's easy to navigate, all the varieties and departments are cross-referenced for searching and browsing, and each department has the 'view all'  feature which I love; for some reason knowing that I'm browsing loads of pages by number makes me lose the will to er, browse. I've had to bookmark it, for practical purposes of course.   There is a blog too - you can link to it through the site, I'm thinking that running the site means not a lot of time for blogging, and because it's the 21st century, you can connect with the good people at Bead and Button Company through Facebook Twitter and Google+. There's a good shipping policy and clear pricing - for Europe and international too.  And of course, there's a Sale. Might be rude not to visit then, huh! If you do have a little flutter, please show and tell - you might buy something that I need......

14 comments:

Craftychris said...

Sounds good to me, will definitely have a peek! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas xx

misteejay said...

Looks like you had a good time putting your goodies to use.

Toni xx

Helen said...

Love the big buttons on your new woollie! I wonder how many buttons and beads a non-sewing type person could need... Hope you had a fabulous Christmas - I just got home this morning and - HUGE sigh of relief, found the ceiling still up... it didn't do much for my peace of mind at Christmas, I can tell you!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Well aren't you the lucky gal. I see where flattery has gotten you. Lots of goodies to play with. And yes, they are all very beautiful, too.

Lovely review written by a lovely gal on your lovely blog. Too much lovely? I think not!!

Scrapcat 1 said...

Your projects look fabulous, can't wait to see what you do with the beads :)

Monica said...

I made wine glass covers using netting. They work and you need beads to hold 'em down. Bead and Button is a great magazine.

Laura said...

Julia!!
Oh darn it! I've looked now...
I neeeed so much!

Judys Lace Creations said...

Oh, what a site!! Great goodies here!Thanks for the review Julia.

Nan G said...

Gorgeous new goodies! Dibs on the turquoise drop beads. ;) wink wink Seriously will be checking them out. Thanks for the unbiased review. big grin :))

fairy thoughts said...

Buttons, did you say buttons and beads, well it would be rude not to look wouldn't it after you went to
All that effort.
Janet

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Buttons, baubles, and beads, oh my! I love your choices and what you've done with them.

LiliansArt said...

oh how lovely, you gave them more life when you added them to already beautifully handmade projects. I didn't even know what a pot or jug cover is but very nice, now i think i need some lol

Mrs.D said...

Oph what a wonderful selection you got. They look fabulous. I will spend time coveting when I get home and have a full size computer screen rather than a phone size one.
Also is your ma in law for sale. I love that jacket.
Happy New year
Chris

Anonymous said...

[url=http://prozaconline.click/]prozac online[/url] [url=http://generic-seroquel.party/]seroquel[/url] [url=http://costofcymbalta.science/]cost of cymbalta[/url]