Sunday 24 February 2013

A review : entirely Solicited

 Chic Maker  are a French company who design jewellery and have a monthly kit plan.  They asked me if I'd like to review one of the kits.  Moi? I said.  I don't make jewellery.  I have fingers like sausages and not a lot of patience for making stuff that is slow to show results.  And I have no tools, and absolutely no knowledge.  Oui, said Chic Maker, you should have a go.  And they sent me a starter kit (the tools) and the February Kit, which makes a multi stranded beaded bracelet.  Oh la la!  I was nervous.

The instructions were brilliant.  Well photographed, obvious and beautifully step by step.

I genuinely had no idea what the 'magnetic clasp' meant...it wasn't until I'd finished the bracelet that I realised that the clasp comes apart and has a magnet in it to hold it safely shut. That's how inexperienced I am.  And how clever the kit as proven to be!
I tackled it slowly and exactly in the order of the instructions.  I would imagine that over all it probably took me about four hours to finish, but I did it over a couple of days, as the mood took me.  I was terrified that if I rushed it and made a mess, I'd have to tell Chic Maker that they'd found the only person in Europe that couldn't do it! Remember, I didn't even know what a crimp bead was for.


It so happens that I love turquoise and to see it 'trending on catwalks' is a thrill -  even I know it's high street bound if it's being used by the fashionistas.  So I had absolutely no trouble working myself up to trying the make.  I have had absolutely no trouble wearing it  several times this week either;  let's be honest, that isn't always the case when you make yourself something.  
I loved it.  I loved the fact that when I opened the kit, I found 2 bead varieties that I would have walked past in a store: couldn't see the potential in them as beauty for sure.  And they truly work so well. Certainly a good lesson in not under-rating the plain stuff!  I liked the kit idea - that the pre-selecting had been done for me, and that there was a finished and plausible design to work to.  Apart from sausage fingers, one of the reasons I haven't tried jewellery before has always been that the range is so vast and that I'd never be able to 'design', just by adding beads to wire.  I think for me, this kit was the perfect answer.  
And as a plus, I discovered from the Chic Maker Facebook page that their blog shows another project that will make up from the 'leftovers' of the February kit.  Nice surprise.

I've walked around the idea for a week and today, I've subscribed; I figure this is going to be fun, without pressure and very do-able.  J'adore!



35 comments:

Art and Sand said...

I have not made jewelry either. Thanks for the tip on something that sounds doable for me.

Krisha said...

Very pretty Julia! Beware! jewelry making can become quite adictive. On top of all the stamp stash, scrapbook stash, multi media stash in this room, there is also a large stash of beads...LOL Canit wait to see what you make with the left overs.

Glenda said...

I love your newest creation, however, this old broad refuses to start another addiction....I'm really trying to be strong here, but you go right ahead! Enjoy, it looks like you have a knack for this!

Kyla said...

I agree with Krisha, I have tons of jewelry stuff....to add to my papercraft stash, pottery stash, scrapbook stash, encaustic...(you get the idea)..bracelet does look amazing though.

Kyla (sausage fingers too!)

Monica said...

I have a knack for making things with my hands like jewelry, unfortunately, no longer have the strength. After my great clean out, documented on WOYWW, i am left with a bead surplus as I went crazy a few years ago on beads. Reviewing it in light of my new found "hunt the hoarder" I decided to try and use them up and if I want to buy GET A KIT. That is a fabulous piece Julie. Beading is great to take anywhere and as most kits are stringing relatively angst free and fulfilling.

Mary said...

Wow, you did a great job, and your post was a perfect description. I'm with you, my fingers have minds of their own and with 8 running wild, and two thumbs sitting back watching, I've not attempted jewelry making either....again, nice job, can't wait to see what you do with what was left over. Wishing you a wonderful week...see you Wednesday.

Sunshine Girl said...

Very nice - love that you have started on your ribbons too - I store mine like that and it really does help!

sara j said...

Woo Hoo! Now you can add jewelry maker to your repertoire. I know what you mean about being overwhelmed when you walk into a bead store. My sister makes beautiful jewelry and when I go shopping with her I am drawn to the big flashy things, and she actually purchases items I would never be drawn to. The blackbird syndrome. I'll have to go check out the company. See you on Wednesday.

Kirsty.A said...

Oooh it's lovely. How much is the subscription?

Helen said...

I am all fingers and thumbs too, have great trouble with Tim's clasps and things, so to read this is really good to know - maybe I'll have a go .... when I have finished getting painty!!!

Redanne said...

Wow Julia, those bracelets look amazing, how clever of you as a novice to do such a beautiful job - clever you! Hugs, Anne x

Francesca said...

Your first attempt at jewellery making looks pretty good to me. well done.

peggy gatto said...

Such pretty results!!!!!!
Bravo!

Craftychris said...

ooh its gorgeous, well done! That was a fine review too, thank you xx

Anonymous said...

I've never made jewellery before, but have sometimes thought about giving it a go! The bracelets look fab and the kit seems like a good idea for beginners to try.

Lauren x

Angie said...

This all looks amazing ...didn't you do well ...love the coloura ....and it was free ???? xx

Maisie Moonshine said...

Your new bracelets look fab and the fact that you have worn them says it all really. I know what you mean about sausage fingers but sometimes I surprise myself too! MM x

505whimsygirl said...

Hello Julia,

Oh, love the bracelet. I bet YOU were asked to make sure a novice could complete the kit. And look how successful you are! Be careful with the magnetic clasp. I've used them and once my bracelet was ripped off my wrist and ended up hanging to the car door! Tee hee.

Job well done!

Hugs,
Kay

fairy thoughts said...

well done you, it looks fabulous. The kit looks very well put together. Although I agree with Kay be careful what you come in contact with..... mine used to attach to the metal shelves where i worked and one even ended up in the plastic bag with the customers shopping.... they brought it back to me the next day.... luckily it was quite distinctive
janet

Stitching Lady said...

Julia, you did a good job - beautiful. The kit is a success!

Unknown said...

Julia, well done you! I've never been inspired to create jewellery but these are really good.
Cheers,
Elaine

Gill Edwards said...

another string to your bow eh, they are really pretty. I love turquoise too, youve done well for someone with no experience. I've dabbled with jewellery making in the past and they look nice kits.

Gill x

Karen K said...

Looks beautiful and fun to do

K xx

Business said...

All over the globe there are loads of jewelry stores but talking particularly about United States of America even there also countless number of brands has marketed their position strong establishing enough satisfaction among citizens of almost its each state. But when it gets along now days fast era of advancements and technologies....
Make your jewelry clean

Lisa-Jane said...

I love it! You've got me tempted...

Bethan said...

Great job Julia! looks fab!

Scrapcat 1 said...

I have made quite a few pieces of jewellery, it's addictive you know, your piece is lovely.

Morti said...

Cue a huge round of applause - well done you! Yet another hobby to indulge in occasionally.... LOL...

Laura said...

Good for you! :::high five::: I don't do well with teeny things, so haven't attempted anything like this -- it appears that excellent instructions are one of the strengths of this kit. Happy Tuesday. ~ Laura (Bookworm)

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Lovely, and a kit is a great idea. A change up is good once in a while.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You did a fantastic job with this kit. I can tell these people impressed you, because the bracelet is SO YOU!!

I feel bad that I haven't been by for so long, but I couldn't even see my blog for nearly a month. Also, I can't join WOYWW because I can't see the links. It's just an empty space. I've tried to contact Blogger, but they don't want to deal with me, I guess. i hope to be back to WOYWW sooner rather than later!! I miss you and the entire WOYWW family.

Barb King said...

Looks like a pro did it, sounds like a great kit, good for you for trying something new! I struggle with beading, just can't seem to manage those little ones, and that wire. Barb

Carmen said...

So pretty. I can claim to know what a magnetic clasp is... But a crimp bead? Uh, no idea.

Sue from Oregon said...

oh my-you are so brave- A new hidden talent emerges Julia! Good luck on your ribbon rolling...no WOYWW for me this week-drats I am way busy this week!

Unknown said...

Hi Julia

I know this is late - but I've a heck of a lot to catch up on... March was the maddest for years with all our Birthdays - so it obviously started off early in order to get stuff done - but it went slowly downhill from there... Anyway, here I am, I'm happy to say and i'm lovin that you've taken the plunge into a new craft... my mum does jewellery and really should have bought the kits because she now has nothing short of a couple of £K's worth of beads... albeit that they are genuine precious and semi precious stones and gems... she only does sterling silver where possible too (tiger tail is obviously stainless steal of course)... I hope it brings you as much pleasure as it brings my mum, but she will never get through what she has in her lifetime - yep... the kits are definitely the best option - and really, by far the cheapest because you know exactly what you are doing with them, you know you've got everything you need and you don't have your hard earned money tied up in stock you'll never get round to using. And, because you've bought modestly, you'll most likely always get to enjoy wearing what you've created yourself.

big hugs

Paula x x x