Tuesday, 1 September 2026

What’s On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 900

 I can’t remember who suggested that I should put the week number on WOYWW posts; I’ve trawled through a lot of comments but really, with this number of weeks, it’s a big old job. Thank you, anyway, it was a stroke of genius!

I can remember that it was Jan who got a grip of me and told me that ‘we’ (she did it, I ran around pretending to be on board) should plan a Crop for a meet up. I was genuinely worried that no one would want to cross hills and dales just to meet some crafters off the internet. Wrong. 

I can’t remember when it was first decided that if you lot were ok to travel to a Crop then really it should be in different locations. That worked so well. I’ve been to beautiful places that I’m not sure I would have got to yet, if not for WOYWW Crop hosts!

I  remember and do so with great fondness the contribution to WOYWW and friendship offered by  Eliza, Janet, Debbie, Christine and Neet. Losing friends is never easy; being geographically distant didn’t lessen the shock or grief of losing these friends. I hope that our love and good wishes were of some comfort to their families.

I can’t remember the number of times my desk has looked the same….it’s a lot. And it was never looking the same in a state of tidy. Oh no, that would be too good to be true.

I can remember some small detail about each and every person who has contributed to WOYWW over these 900 weeks. Craft specialities, quirky spaces, wonderful writing, crazy projects…everything you show us sinks in and helps form the you that we know. By the time we meet, we already know each other!

900 weeks of sharing, growing friendships and genuine caring. Just because we have a love for some craft or other in common. How amazing. Props to Sarah for keeping it up when I needed to stop, just as in 2016 when Jan was at the helm for some months, it was a necessary stop for me. 

Nine hundred weeks. You are really an amazing group of hard-to-shake offs aren’t you! In these seventeen odd years our lives have changed, blogging has changed and so we’ve bent and adapted. To be honest, those whose lives led them away from blogging are still a part of WOYWW, many still on Facebook and not a one I wouldn’t hesitate to call on if I was travelling through! That’s the power of WOYWW, a power I never dreamed it would gain. Community and friendship, weekly or not. So as I flit from crochet to paper and learn nothing new in between, let’s keep doing it!

Link over at Sarah’s these days, till she needs to throw it back at me!

18 comments:

Darnell said...

Beautiful said, Julia! That is, indeed, the power of WOYWW and we have you to thank for that. And I do, with all my heart!๐ŸซถHugs, Darnell

Helen said...

you are so right! thank you for bringing us together and keeping us going so long. sorry my post today isn't as celebratory as I would have liked. hugs always Helen #4

Lunch Lady Jan said...

You always say exactly the right words…beautifully written, summing up very neatly what this crazy weekly meet up has meant to us all over the years. People come and go but the feeling and friendship is always there…I’m already looking forward to 1000!!
But never ever show a tidy desk, we’d all be worried……๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Happy 900th WOYWW, my dear old mate, what a huge difference you’ve made to so many people. Congratulations xxxx
Hugs LLJ 5 xx

Annie said...

What an amazing thing you started all those years back. I'm sure you never expected it to last so long but its so special that it's not to be missed. Thank you from the bottom of my heart my friend.
Hugs,
Annie x #8

Mrs.D said...

Morning Julia, not sure whether you’re to “blame” for all the WOYWW stuff or to be celebrated! Of course it is CELEBRATED!!! And rightly so, what an amazing thing you started and I’m privileged to be part of it. Bless you.
By the way, I can’t comment on LLJ post, is it me or her technology?

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Good Morning Julia...so thankful I found you years back. I really loved reading the postings and being involved from such a far distance. I don't spend much time on my BLOG anymore mostly Facebook takes up daily with family and friends. And lots of fun post on the cats/dogs ! Or ideas and now for me it's been Mixed Media Journals, and downsizing, sorting all the TOTES I have a for all the seasons, and the thrift shopping I and friends did for so many years of being alone. Just celebrated 21 Years fo being married again and Life has been great, He's a farmer and loves to do a lot of fun get aways etc. So we keep busy. Best Wishes to You and Yours. Thank You for all you did thru these years to keep us all sane.

Kathryn Frantz said...

Good morning, Sweet Julia! Absolutely amazing how your “baby” has made the world a little bit smaller! It brought me to you and your world, literally! Thankful for you, my friend!

Susan Renshaw said...

Congratulations on starting this off, Julia, and holding the helm for such a long time! It has made such a lot to me sharing our history over the last 6 years... Happy 900th! Susan #14

ukmaryanne said...

Happy Week 900 WOYWW!
The gardener is trimming the hedges outside my window so hoping to sneak in while he has lunch. Toooo loud.
Perfect encapsulation of what WOYWW is, at it's core. And THANK YOU for the crazy idea to just snap a shot of your desk and share it. I mean, who'da thunk it? 900 week?? See you for 1000...
Mary Anne (1)

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

It's amazing that WOYWW is still going on! This has got to be some kind of record even on a global level, I'm sure! Of course, it's not about the numbers but the connections and friendships across borders and time zones. Happy #900, Julia! xx zsuzsa #23

Twiglet said...

So beautifully put Julia. Who knew we'd still be at it 17 years on but boy are we glad we are! A big hug to you from Shropshire. Looking forward to 1000 and hopefully another meet up too. x x Jo ๐ŸŒˆ

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Julia, it's great to look back at what everyone's been up to. I don't know how to thank you for bringing this brilliant group together. Great thoughts here today too. Sending big woyww hugs, Angela x12x

Caro said...

Beautifully said. I love the friendships we have made through this corner of the internet. There is something special about them all. Would love to have another crop at some point! Happy 900th WOYWW! With love & God Bless, Caro xx #19

Elizabeth said...

Wonderfully put, Julia. Even when I haven't been able to participate in your brilliant brainchild every week, I've tried to find time to snoop and see what everyone else is up to. The friends I have made, some still at a distance, but others I have met - that would not have happened without your WOYWW - are numerous. And all with fascinating crafting interest. I have learned so much from them and, like you, I've travelled to places I probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for the crops. Happy memories. Take care and have a wonderful week. Hugs, Elizabeth x #27

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Hi Julia! Thank you for starting this fellowship of crafters around the world. It is so inspiring to see what everyone is working on, and cheer each other along the way. I've never made it to any of the groups in person gatherings, but who knows, perhaps one day. Blessings and Happy WOYWW 900th Post!

lisa said...

You always have the perfect words to say, Julia. But it is you who should be congratulated and thanked for starting this wonderful community. I remember reading about WOYWW in a crafting magazine many moons ago, which is when I first started joinining and loved it. I made so many friends and have so many treasures made by so many talented crafters over the years and yes life got in the way and my blogging stopped but I have still thought about those friends I've made. Thanks to you now, I've resurrected the blog and have had a lovely day catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. Hopefully, I'm here to stay again. Happy 900th WOYWW and thank you. Love Lisa #17

Lynnecrafts said...

So grateful to you for starting this blog circle, Julia, it’s created such a wonderful group of friends. Well done to Jan, Sarah and the rest of us for keeping it going for 900 weeks!
So glad to be part of such a friendly and creative circle.
Happy 900th WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 6 xx

Spyder said...

I think I started on WYWW in the 3rd week not sure, a lot of thigs I've done or made is because of woyww, only just lately my mojo has been off somewhere else, Since John passed, (4 years this week) I've been off somewhere else (with the fairies!) There's so much to do, when there's only one of you..its been the gutters this week! Glad you are here for the 900th! And thank you for started it all up! Happy WOYWW ((Lyn))#16