There is nothing on my desk gentle reader. We’ve been away and I thought you may like to see a bit of Croatia instead of my perennial mess. We cruised on a small boat with 20 cabins. No sails, and tbh, a lot of noise when the engines were running. No overnight ‘sailing’ and lots of island hopping.
Croatia is beautiful, the people are proud of their country and very quick to welcome you to it. The war which created four countries from one Yugoslavia is still evident in many places. We visited islands which were rich in history; many occupied over centuries by a variety of other nations, so the architecture and influences are fascinating. Largely, the Venetians had the most longevity as invaders and the beautiful lime stone that pervades means that everywhere you look there’s a beautiful building, and when there are no buildings, there’s a breathtaking view!
We hiked. This is a salt water lake on Mljet island, a national park. So, so stunning. At this point, I was snapping pics one handed because of very deserved ice cream in the other. That’s another thing, Croatian ice cream is the creamiest I’ve ever had….
Every island is some size of mountain. The best views are from the top! You can just make out the fort at the very top. These stepped alleys vary in width, some had cafes with tables and chairs balanced. Sociable and precarious!
This was the fruit market place in Split. From left a 13th 14th and 15th century house just happily living against each other. Fascinating.
Most island towns were heavily fortified and had impressive walls.
Ottomans and Italians and of course bi partisan pirates were a constant threat.
Approaching anywhere from the sea gives a wonderful new angle. Whilst moored somewhere we re-fuelled, the tally on the pump was at 8000 euros when we lost interest…probably lunch was called!
Our fellow guests, 37 of us in total, we got to know everyone by name, seating ourselves at meal times meant sitting with someone different each time which was really interesting.
Mr Dunnit and I were completely new to the format and in general enjoyed it all. Our last day was in Dubrovnik and we both agreed that we couldn’t have done any more guided tours if the holiday had been longer…despite the fascinating information, we aren’t really very comfortable at sightseeing in a big group. It was a lovely week, weather sublime, places amazing and accommodation and company were great. We have been genuinely and happily surprised!
For real desks and craft stories, visit
Sarah. I’m now off to try to suppress some panic feeling that I should be thinking about Christmas crafting now….!
My mind has been taken over with the construction works around the house at present we've got 4 lots now. Builder types are just so inconsiderate of the local residents having to live in the chaos. I needed to redo my letter to the ward councillors as things had changed (no trees anymore) and I'd found another councillor who could help me get a response from them. I'd been awake since 4am yesterday and slept in the afternoon as a result so completely forgot what day it was!!! Wow your break away looks lovely except for the noisy boat though. Even the thought of noise does me in now and so glad it is just about cool enough to close the windows in the daytime. Thank you for taking me away from here to see lovely Croatia for a little while. Hugs Bj#7
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely trip! Gorgeous weather and interesting places to gawp at, I’m so pleased you had an amazing time 😎😎. I’m envious of the Croatian ice cream, yum! 😋. Catch you Monday xx
ReplyDeleteHugs LLJ 3 xx
Sounds and looks like a beautiful holiday . I think I'm with you on group sightseeing but you saw a lot !! Had no luck with jars or bottles for ages .. can manage them better now. Helen #2
ReplyDeleteLucky you, that sounds brilliant. It's so much nicer being on a smalller boat. The ones we used to go on in Egypt probably had about 40 cabins and it felt so much more friendly and you get to know more people. We were on one doing the return route on Lake Nasser and there were only eight people on the boat. Promise I'll do something with the playing cards and I'll show you the inside of the cabin but please be prepared for the shock! Wishing you a happy woyww. Hugs Angela x8x
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful pics today Julia. Thanks for sharing them. It looks like you had a wonderful time in a lovely place.
ReplyDeleteHugts,
Annie x #6
Hellooo Julia 🫂✨️❤️ oh my giddy aunt ... you've transported me to Croatia ... and what a gorgeous place it is ... even that long stepped alley ... just wow 🌟✨️ from a boat ... to good company ... to that gorgeous blue sky above ... to the gorgeous scenery 🥰💕 now you've put me in the mood for some ... icecream 🍦 😘😁🥰loving that last photo with you all ... how happy, lovely and tanned you all are!
ReplyDeleteA joy it is to have popped over to catch up.
Thank you from my heart for the words left on mine 🫂 hugging you close ... wishing you all good things in the week ahead. With much love ❤️ and even more hugs 🫂 you may remember from previous posts I'm a hugger 🥰😘❤️✨️✨️✨️#5
Wow! My wife and I need a vacation, so you've inspired me. Happy WOYWW!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post, Julia. Your trip to Croatia looks and sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your fabulous photos - great scrapbooking material. Hugs, Elizabeth x #11
ReplyDeleteWow! How do you find these trips/adventures? Great pictures, almost like we were with you! Do you have the next excursion planned? Glad you are back safely! (Kathy Frantz here btw. Couldn’t find my google password). Love you both❤️
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. Love seeing the photos...Have a friend who visited Croatia and was very happy about the visit. So happy you get to enjoy time by traveling. Got my blog to half way work, we took a day trip, but came home to a mess. Beautiful Pheasant crashed thru our garage door window, he died and the bits of glass were EVERYWHERE.. Hubby was not happy. Have a great week. Eye Surgery Friday
ReplyDeleteWow! Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm thinking of the cafés with the precarious seating! Scary! I would love to see those ancient buildings! We are such a new country in comparison, nothing over about 200 years old. It's amazing that things built 800 years ago can last the ravages of time! I don't think our modern buidlings could do that! I'm glad you had such a wonderful holiday! Happy WOYWW!🍂Lindart #13
ReplyDeleteThat sounded like a wonderful trip. I can just imagine you taking one-handed photos while eating ice cream. If it were me it’d go everywhere😂. Croatia sounds very interesting - I’ve only visited Dubrovnik on the cruise I went on with my Mum.
ReplyDeleteHave a good week
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 1 xx