Tuesday 2 February 2016

Call me cynical...

These are some of TH's Crazy Birds. Helen stamped them for me over a year ago and I've just got around to using them. I didn't think I'd ever want the stamps, but it seems that I do. And the dies. Because these are fiddly to cut out. And then, I'd quote like some of the accessory stamps too. Like the various hats, and some of the words. On that basis I could do with the dies for those too.And suddenly, thats over £100 if you can get them. There seems to be a shortage of the bird stamps, and it all starts with those. Hush my mouth for suggesting it may be deliberate. Keeps the prices up, keeps the interest up. I'm off the idea now. 
And whilst I'm being cynical, so to Google. They have reminded me that as owners of Blogger and Google Friends Connect and Google+ (and who knows what else) that they can control who comments on my blog. And they are going to change it up so that you can only comment if you have a Google+ account. They say this will improve everything for everyone and will even increase my comment numbers. Of course it won't. Having a Google+ account means that like it or not, you are given a gmail account and are fully absorbed into the Google culture. It may not be for you, and hey, it'll just save you comment time on this and countless other blogs. Well, these badly disguised ways at making people do things that they don't want to makes me really mad. So.....I've opened an account with Wordpress, and for now, will run the two blogs. They will have exactly the same articles on them, I just want to see if the going is any easier over there. I know that you have to register to comment, but that's all. Wordpress don't then dictate that you join an imaginery friends circle, they don't force you to use their email account, etc. We'll see. You be the judge. Let me know! I couldn't get Stamping Ground as a blog name over at Wordpress, others have come before me. So its actually even easier to find: juliadunnit.wordpress.com . 

12 comments:

Helen said...

I didn't realise Google were forcing us to use Google plus. What a pain. I don't much like WordPress from what I've heard it's not easy but we'll see I guess. Nice birds though!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, loving the birds. You are right, the dies are a great help for cutting the birds, and I found really easy to line up. I'm not one for fussy cutting- no patience, me. Plus the scissor handles start cutting off the blood supply to my fingers on small scissors. I've got some shear type ones now. I never found too much difficulty using Wordpress, I ran my blog on there for a while once, when Blogger was being a total pain and refusing to load any photographs. Can't actually remember why I went back to Blogger now.
Huge Hugs, Shaz xxxx

My name is Cindy said...

Oh no. I don't do change. Why oh why do they do this? I'm probably already registered but what the heck, dont understand any of it. (Dont get me started on messenger....)

I love those birds!! But I think you may be right to be cynical. But then, the whole industry is about making us want things don't ya think?

Barb said...

Well I'm with Cindy on the Google thing. I don't understand any of it very well at all. Sorry I'll have to stay here while I can!

Your birds look great Julia. I'm sure you do need them! I think they are great fun. I have got the accessories too but not the dies for those. Barbxx

Kelly said...

I had not received any of these notifications yet. Interesting. I really have never been a word press fan. Wondering how difficult would be to move my post there or even possible. Have they not heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

checking out your other blog. Good luck!
Creative Blessings! ~Kelly

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I knew that Google was forcing us to be google users in order to be a friends connect follower, but I had not heard that we will have to join G+ to comment. I am not sure how I will ever get my blog moved over to another platform, I have so much invested in this one, but I simply won't join G+.

BTW, those birds ARE a conspiracy (grin).

misteejay said...

Love the birds Julia (I have the stamps & dies and dare I say...they are still sealed in the packs awaiting my first play - I didn't go for the accessories but might consider at a later date).
I had to set up a 'gmail' some time ago as Google decided it wasn't accepting 'blueyonder' emails. As a non-techy it scared me witless but a friend was very helpful and I managed to sort it out without too much bother. However, I don't like being dictated to and wish Blogger/Google would stop mucking about.
Toni xx

Sue said...

Hope Wordpress works out. I'll be leaving Google if it carries on.

Loving the card.

Hope you have a nice evening. Sue

Sharon said...

I guess I'm on Google plus though not exactly sure what it does lol. As for Crazy Birds - I LOVE them but have so far resisted the urge to buy them. I think - like you - I see it costing quite a bit of money. There are good sales here in the US so I suppose I could wait for one of those. I just see SO many other things I'd rather have lol

Kyla said...

I didn't realise Google were doing this. I opened an account and go in once every six months to keep it active and that's it....it may be a possible workaround?
Nice birds I also stamped some from Helen..

Linby said...

Totally agree with you on the birds - didn't like them didn't need them now I want them But I am hanging out so far. Instead I've fallen in love with some dies and stamps that I'm having to import!
Will be interesting to see how you get on with Wordpress.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

One thing in Google's defence though is that I don't get ANY spam comments. With WP you'll need all sorts of safeguarding against spam. The free templates are very basic and a nightmare to customize unless you know how to write code, not just edit it. Just my experience, but they may have improved it in the past couple of years. Either way, it's not a problem for me - I have a WP account too, so I can visit whichever site you choose to go forward with. Running two parallel sites initially is probably a good idea!