Monday 1 April 2013

I knew from instinct...well, track record actually, that I would not receive an Easter egg or anything remotely gift related from my lovelies. And because I've been on a proper diet for oh, I don't know, my entire life, I felt it was OK to treat myself in a manner which they who do not treat me jolly well ought to. 

I nearly had heart failure when my 'Easter Egg' arrived.  It was huge, and quite possibly a little out of proportion to the spirit of the holiday, the Eggs that I was giving as gifts and erm, even the spirited act of revenge I'd planned it to be!
All this for an A4 book, some tape and a coupla teeny notebooks!

I was expecting a pizza box and this girt great packing crate turned up. Oh my..and I had to leave it there like that for two whole hours before anyone else saw it!  Inside?  The realisation of a longed for bit of stash.  A kit for Smash.  I think I'll be OK with this.  I love the idea and to a great extent the concept of all the lovely Journals.  But they aren't me and I feel the text and entries are all a bit contrived and silly when I do them (a problem I still have with scrapbook journaling).  But the Smash stuff has a reason.  And I think that's what's lacking for me in the Journal thing....I'm much too shallow to be recording my innermost thoughts and feelings or expressing myself 'through' a particular medium.  I blog!  But I have a reason to have a go at the old Smash.  Me and Mr Dunnit are going away together soon.  Just him and me.  This is unusual.  It's more years than I can remember since we've been on holiday without Miss Dunnit of course...but usually too, we are accompanied by one or other set of parents.  It's always a delight, but this time is like the line in the sand of how grown up we're getting.  So I've decided to Smash rather than scrapbook our increasing 'just us' times.  
This may bomb.  I don't know if I will have the 'be bothered'-ness to do it at the time.  And my thinking is that if I don't do it at the time, I might as well bring it home and make scrapbook pages, so we'll have to see.  I wonder if Smash was invented for those of us who can't/don't do digi, I guess you can while away an hour or so at the end of each holiday day by creating your digi scrapbook, so Smash might be directed at those of us who go on holiday and actually manage not to look at a computer for the duration! Who knows.  We'll see, watch this space and all of that.  Meanwhile..oh my, look at my lovely new stuff!

23 comments:

Claire Grantham said...

Ha ha Julia, Love your Easter Egg! I hear you re: the journalling thing. As it's such a big year for us, I am attempting to keep a journal. I have managed Jan and Feb, but not sure if I am really that in to it :( Cx

crafty....du said...

I love to smash :) anything you journal is better than nothing :) hope you enjoy your sin free Easter pressie

Kerry

Caro said...

I love my smash book. I don't seem to get time to properly scrapbook these days and so smash booking works really well. I have two on the go at the moment and look forward to seeing what you manage to create.

Helen said...

What a great Easter Egg, and no calories, either!! Enjoy your holiday, when it comes.

misteejay said...

Oooo, I love your 'Easter Egg' - a super collection of goodies there.

Enjoy your 'Smashing' and hope it provides you with what you want for recording your coming holiday with Mr D.

Toni xx

scrappymo! said...

Great Easter treat and the added bonus of being calorie free!!!

CraftygasheadZo said...

Woo hoo Smash! I love it, have most of the books and enjoy just doing my thing. Keep all your tickets, receipts bits and bobs and put them in your book! Just have fun, be random, just do it don't think too much, just stick it in how you think or feel it should go. But enjoy it! If you don't and feel you can't possibly use all that stash, I'll happily take it off your hands!!! ;) Take care Zo xx

Kyla said...

Great Easter idea. I love the idea of Smash but not sure (I may be too inky for one!). Think of all the calories you saved!

Kyla

fairy thoughts said...

I have seen Zo posting about these for a while without knowing what they are, so I googled it. It would seem I have been smashing for years .... I just didnt know it. he!he! enjoy your treat and your holiday
janet

Monica said...

They are meant for teens and tweens so a lot of it sounds silly. I do not have a lot of angst to need to journal so when I went to Kelly Kilmer's workshop i started with bits of poetry and songs, the stuff that gets in your head. All those poems from school that I remembered snippets of are now written down and i enjoy journaling as my own journals are travel journals and they are fun to keep and play around with.

Unknown said...

I have one Smash book so filled it up it won't close, and I love to look at it. There's something about art journaling that I feel comfortable with--as opposed to just a journal or diary that makes me feel, like you, contrived and a bit too dramatic! I recently got one of the Smash kits, and this Smash book has photo pockets in it--love that! And it came with all those fun goodies. I smashed a few things just last night! Now...I need a fun holiday to the beach with my hubby!

Maria said...

Love your Easter pressie, I've had my smash journals since early last year and only in the last couple of weeks have I started to use mine.....
And I love them, hope you enjoy them as much as I do...

Hettie said...

I always thought Smash was a form of diary keeping, which if you think about we have been doing for years, but without the special books and stuff!
I cannot believe the packaging you had with your books! And they wonder why our landfill is soo much!!!
Enjoy your Egg!
xx

Redanne said...

Now that's the kind of Easter egg to get! Wow! I have been trying hard not to be tempted by Smash things.... Oh dear........ Hugs, Anne x

Gill Edwards said...

wow that lot is better than a chocolate egg any day (did i just say that out loud?)

I love Smash books and cant wait to see what you do with your one.

Have a good time
Gill x

Winnie said...

What a fun Easter "egg"! I hope you have a blast filling it up! I got a pair of them for my nephews last year (they accompanied me to the stamp store, and that is what they wanted! They love them and saving tickets etc and I am pleased to see their craftiness! Have a blast on your trip! I hope you both have a blast!

505whimsygirl said...

Oh Julia, it sounds like we've been on the same diet! haaa.

I've seen the Smash books and so far have resisted..... but I think it's a matter of time. I've bought the label maker and LOVE it! I'd say that was an impressive box for your goodies.

I hope you and the Mister have a wonderful holiday together!!!

Hugs,
Kay

famfa said...

I am soooo jealous. I want one. I bought a similar thing a few years back but just use it as an ideas book but I would love the real thing. Good for you for treating yourself, one you have lots of smashing fun with it.....and your hubby obviously x

Neesie said...

Now why didn't I think to do something like that Julia...you're so t'elligent!
I went for the fat pants option instead...you know the elasticated waisted leisure pants due to excessive egg eating!
Are you sitting down because I have to admit I've never heard of Smash books. (gasp)
My hubby and I are heading off together on holiday soon so I'll be interested to see what you do getting Smashed together! :$
Have a wonderful time.

Unknown said...

Have a go Julia!! It is your journal, do it however you like!! Doesn't have to be neat and tidy, just go with whatever..close your eyes and draw even lol! Just have fun :-). My journaling is not everyday, but about feelings when they need to have a say. I just love to splash the inks on a page and see what happens and I love the fact that there is NO rules lol!! Have a fantastic holiday!

sara j said...

A wonderful idea...and how exciting a trip with the mister....hope you have a lovely time. I got a SMASH book a while ago and use it to paste pretty pictures in - as in pretty house decorating pictures....it can be whatever you decide for it. You're in charge!!

HeARTworks said...

Have not seen Smash books available here and am so curious about it. Hope you have fun with it. Can't wait to see how it comes out! Patsy

Dianne said...

woohoo...a new obsession in the making...I can feel it. You will love the Smash book! and enjoy your holiday!