Friday 14 October 2011

So how do you...?

Some of you may know that my extremely clever sister Stephanie did an extremely clever thing when she teamed up with Dori to form a design studio which they call Luscious Life Studios. Of course, I try to visit their blog whenever they post - it keeps me in the front and centre of their minds for when they start releasing designs for DT work!!  This week they've posted the picture above.  From a range of papers previously shown, called Lily , but the colours have been changed.  Same pattern, different palette.  Now these girls design with all sorts of applications in mind - phone covers, fabrics, wallpaper, craft papers.  I get excited about the possibilities for scrapbook papers.  And 'Lily' really did it for me. I commented that I thought we (scrapbookers) probably went for colour on the page first when choosing papers.  But I've thought about it quite a lot and I'm not sure I do.  Although I think for me, it is finally all about colour....I think I buy my papers because I like the pattern/design/styles first.  There was once a time when I would approach a rack of papers with photos in hand and try to match something in the photo to something about the paper...and I ended up with papers I didn't particularly like, but that seemed to 'work'.  Well I grew out of that.  Quite quickly.  These days, I buy papers because I like them and if I like them enough, I MAKE them work for my photos! 
Yesterday, I tested myself.  It's hard to tell...I approach the racks of paper and no doubt, am drawn in by the colours first....then I pull out the sheet of attractive colour and decide immediately that the pattern is or isn't for me. And colour of course, is influenced by mood, so it could be a changeable thing on a different day....I no longer consider whether the pattern is or isn't suitable for a particular photo.  Although this is a slight generalisation - if I'm planning a single theme mini album or something, then I do...but sometimes the theme becomes a single thread of colour or a design element that I use throughout.
Do you buy it because you like it and put it into 'stock' or do you buy it and use it because it's perfect for what you're planning to do?  I can say yes to almost immediate use for about 10% of my paper purchases.  Not a good figure when you consider the amount of paper I have in 'stock'! Tricky this huh.  I should tell Dori that it's all entirely personal actually, and if they thought I might make a good test model for market research purposes, they were wrong. But I'd rather not admit it, they'll work it out eventually! 


So, how do you choose? Fabric, papers, whatever it is....what is it that pulls you in?

21 comments:

Dotty A said...

Oh now that's a hard one... I think when I'm at a wall of papers I'm first drwan to the color.. but after looking then it turns to design more... I love warm earthy colors so the sample at the beging of you post suties me just fine. but like you said it all depends on what I'm working on too.

Auntie Em said...

I always thought the papers had to match the photo as well. Now I buy the papers I love and I am so much happier with the finished project. There are so many ways to use a great sheet of pretty paper. Some I turn into cards or mini albums or other great projects. And the other sheets that I already had in my stash? I find they are good for putting under my glittered or embossed projects to catch the excesss! ;) (I am a crafter, after all! I can't just chuck them!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I would not make a good test subject either, as I buy very few pieces of paper. I tend to buy good quality plain card, and print my own paper from stock on the computer. I usually alter them to suit my project. I also create my own backing papers, using photos as a base. I do agree that what I choose depends on how I feel on a given day, according to the weather and all sorts of other things.

Carmen said...

I must admit for me it's the pattern. Any Halloween line usually finds it's way home with me, skulls, bats, swirls, stripes... colour comes as an after thought. Even where I've had a period of not scrapbooking - I still buy new Halloween stash. Love it. Started scrapbooking again now though so that must mean I can buy some more eh?

Helen said...

Well, as you know I don't shop much for paper(oops, my nose just grew about a foot.....) as I don't scrapbook, but I am drawn to patterns I think (am trying to think - I think I just go in like I was on Supermarket Sweep....) perhaps I go for colour... love that Lily - pattern and colour! I know I don't buy stuff with something in mind but only because I like it!! Does any of this help you? Probably not!!

Ali said...

I definitely buy papers because I like them and only very very very occasionally for a specific purpose/project. Colours are definitely important but I think patterns and "style" do it for me most... if I like a pattern I'll probably like it in any colour whereas I won't like one colour in any pattern. And I love certain styles like the distressed/worn/vintage look (basically, anything Basic Grey has ever released! :lol:).

Anonymous said...

My papers are always chosen by the mood of the project. I tend to work on what some would refer to a more darker side, so pastels are ruled out right away. I started scrap booking late in phase, so I don't make many layouts, so I really don't use many pictures. I make more altered projects, albums, etc. I never purchase papers from the large box craft stores, instead try to wait for specialty shoppes and small town local owner bushiness.

Elizabeth said...

I buy papers just because I like them, and it is usually a combination of colour and pattern that 'sings to me' - if I find myself stroking them then the chances are they are coming home. I nrarely buy paper with a definite project in mind ... I just know that whatever, the right project will come along, eventually, and, in the meantime, I get to stroke them :) The sample at the top of your post would sing loud and clear - love the colours and the bold pattern. I'm exactly the same with digital papers, love them and buy them, and then think about how I can use them. Mind you, digi papers do have the advantage that the colour can be tinkered with to produce exactly what is needed when the time comes. Elizabeth x

Kirsty.A said...

I generally have a project in mind when I buy papers, but it's funny how often I end up using them on something completely different. I have also been known to take a picture just because I have the 'perfect' paper in stock. After all, how many opportunities occur to use ladybird
prin paper, so i took a picture of a ladybird

505whimsygirl said...

I'm not really a scrapbooker but I do make cards and have a small stash of designed papers. Like you, color draws me in but it's usually the design that either makes or breaks it for me. I've learned that when I buy paper in bundles I'm excited when I buy them but when I try to make cards using them I'm not so sure. I don't have just the right stamp set or the pattern is too large or too small.

I do like the colors and design on the swatch at the beginning of your post!

Siobhan Brignull said...

ok confession time, its colour for me, and the %age I use, less than 1. I actually don't look at paper now, as I have over 2ft worth of storage of 12 papers and pads and very rarely use them, then there is the hidden cupboard of 6x6 pads, especially basic grey (oops. Especially now I've entered the creating your own background, but too have them is to love them, and I do . . LOL

CRH said...

I guess I would have to say color and mood evoking patterns... It changes daily lol

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am probably the ONLY person to respond to your question who doesn't buy patterned paper. Although I am drawn to G45 and Basic Grey, I, being the Queen of Free, don't buy scrapbook paper, but get the white leftovers from my friend's scrapbook packs. Seems each package has a white back page and she buys lots of scrapbook paper. Then I paint the pages, use various altering techniques, or add magazine images to the papers.

As for fabric, I paint old torn up bed sheets in various ways. That way, I know I get the colors and designs I want. But I sure like that lily design, something I could NEVER duplicate or replicate.

Fuchsia said...

I just lose my head when I see a colour or design and just have to have then try and find a project to use it for still have some I dont like to use LOL

lisa said...

I always buy papers because I like them and never have any particular photo in mind when I buy them. I browse the racks and am usuallly drawn by the colour first and then the design and sometimes I have an idea in mind for it, but usually it's just because it shouts buy me, which I do and add it to my huge 12x12 stash. When I decide to scrap a particular photo I then pull out all the papers and choose those that work. I never pick a photo and then go and buy papers for it.
Hugs Lisax

voodoo vixen said...

I think I buy papers with a mix of colour and design going on in my head... if the design doesn't do it for me the colour might and vice versa... and I have enough papers to keep me going for the next ten years... but it certainly doesn't stop me buying more!! ;)

stephanie said...

I choose by simply looking at something and going "WOW LOVE THAT"......

got some co-ordinates along the way for "lily" pattern. going to be off the grid for next 3 days. Back up in Montana and is sure feels like winter is coming....

stephanie said...

Hey Sissy,

I choose by simply looking at something and thinking WOW I LOVE THAT... gotta have it.. hee hee.... going to be off the grid next 3 days. back up in Montana where it sure feels like winter. Off to Yellowstone. Lily co-ordinates coming next week. xx

Dori said...

Hi Julia,
This is such a great post and really valuable comments! In addition to being our creative team, you are also our Market Researcher. We'll keep this all in mind when designing. The interesting thing for me is that when designing, I also do a mix. Sometimes I have the colors first then the pattern comes... other times it is the pattern that directs me to the colors. It all boils down to knowing that it all has to be really good... pattern & color, everything! Thanks again.

fairy thoughts said...

i think it is the whole package, colour, pattern, etc.
sometimes the same pattern in different colours, it just depends on my mood really.
janet

Anonymous said...

[url=http://lasix40mg.cricket/]lasix 40 mg[/url] [url=http://prednisone.kim/]prednisone[/url] [url=http://levaquinprice.top/]levaquin price[/url] [url=http://buyelimite.red/]elimite[/url] [url=http://retin-a-online.xyz/]retin-a online[/url]